Future Cruise Perks

Rick&Jeannie

1 hour ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I know you can take advantage of the FCD promotion while you are onboard an existing cruise...is there any way to take advantage of these perks prior to being on that next cruise?  I think the cruise I'm interested in is filling up!

I have never booked while onboard. I always use FCD as deposit. You can apply it directly online at the time of booking. However, if you put a cruise "on hold" you will have to call Princess to apply the FCD when you finalize the booking. (Or have your TA do it if you are using a TA.)

Edit: You need to purchase the FCD while onboard. I've read about folks being able to buy the (very) shortly after a cruise but they had reduced benefits. You can also buy them if you do a BVE (Bon Voyage Experience) but those are only offered in certain ports and for certain sailings. I bought a couple that way one time when I foolishly ran out of FCD.

Edited by Thrak

If the cruise you want is selling briskly don't worry about not having an FCD. Just book it. Unless it is a very long cruise the reduced deposit and small token OBC are hardly worth the effort expended to have taken time out of one's previous cruise to purchase them. Or are there other perks I am missing?

23 minutes ago, fishywood said:

If the cruise you want is selling briskly don't worry about not having an FCD. Just book it. Unless it is a very long cruise the reduced deposit and small token OBC are hardly worth the effort expended to have taken time out of one's previous cruise to purchase them. Or are there other perks I am missing?

Yes, it does take a good 3 minutes or so to purchase FCD. I guess a return of $100 or $150 for investing an entire three minutes is not worth the effort. I guess at the extreme low end - $15 for a 3-6 day cruise in an inside cabin - that is actually only a $5 per minute return but that's still a good rate. I am obviously in a different income bracket than you.

OBC From FCD

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

Edited by Thrak

3 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

I know you can take advantage of the FCD promotion while you are onboard an existing cruise...is there any way to take advantage of these perks prior to being on that next cruise?  I think the cruise I'm interested in is filling up!

Short answer is no. You buy it on board a cruise and use it on a future cruise. Your $100 deposit covers the "down payment " on virtually any cruise and you get on board credit to boot.

2 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

Short answer is no. You buy it on board a cruise and use it on a future cruise. Your $100 deposit covers the "down payment " on virtually any cruise and you get on board credit to boot.

So what you are saying is if you spend $100 you get $100 for a down payment and $100 OBC for a balcony room, $200 in total?

5 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

So what you are saying is if you spend $100 you get $100 for a down payment and $100 OBC for a balcony room, $200 in total?

Spend $100. That $100 covers your entire deposit. (Use one per person.) The benefits are listed in post #4 above.

Okay Thrak, now you really confused me.  Say we buy two on our cruise in August, $100 apiece.  When we book our next cruise, what do we use for the down payment, one FCD per person or one for the both of us?  If we have to use two, do we get $200 for booking a balcony cabin?

9 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Okay Thrak, now you really confused me.  Say we buy two on our cruise in August, $100 apiece.  When we book our next cruise, what do we use for the down payment, one FCD per person or one for the both of us?  If we have to use two, do we get $200 for booking a balcony cabin?

Buy (at least) one FCD each. (We like Princess so try to have several on hand for each of us.) Use one FCD per person as your deposit. EACH of you will get the OBC. Use one FCD apiece for deposit. Take a 12 day cruise in a balcony. Get $100 EACH in OBC. The OBC is for each FCD - not per cabin.

Note that, if you use more than one FCD per person you will only get the $100 value off of your cruise. You won't get extra OBC.

OBC From FCD

3 - 6 Days $15 Inside, $15 Outside, $25 Balcony, $25 Suite

7 - 10 Days $25 Inside, $25 Outside, $50 Balcony, $50 Suite

11 - 16 Days $75 Inside, $75 Outside, $100 Balcony, $100 Suite

17 + Days $125 Inside, $125 Outside, $150 Balcony, $150 Suite

Edited by Thrak

14 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

The FCD can be used as the deposit. Only for the first 2 people in the cabin.

It has to be issued/purchased/used by the person using it. 

So yes it counts as $100 deposit on your future cruise plus you get the OBC listed in the prior post.

If you don't use it within 2 years it will be refunded to you.

6 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

One FCD per person and the FCD must be in that person's name.

Each will get the OBC when that booking sails per the list above in post #11. $100 each for a balcony cabin would be if the length of the cruise was 11 to 16 days.

4 hours ago, billystanley said:

I’ve never used one on these things new to cruising new to Princess. If I don’t have one can I book a cruise with a normal deposit then cancel that cruise and book it again after I get one?

Yes, you can book any cruise with a normal deposit.  If you cancel that cruise, you will not have sailed.  The only way you can obtain (purchase) a FCD is while you are on a Princess Cruise.  You have to take at least your first cruise with a regular deposit, then pay in full and sail.  While on board, you buy 1 or more FCD's.  Then you book your next cruise and use the FCD to cover the deposit for that cruise - and so on.

If you have booked a second cruise before sailing on your first cruise, it will have to have a regular cash deposit.  However, after you are on the first cruise and have the FCD registered, you could potentially cancel that second booking and re-book.  BUT, you may be impacted by price changes and perk changes as you will have to re-book under whatever the current offers are. 

Edited by steelers36

12 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

I'll give it a shot.

While on board you purchase a Future Cruise DEPOSIT. Each deposit cost $100, and is charged directly to the credit card on file. You can purchase as many deposits as you like. We currently have 3 unused deposits each in our Princess accounts.  If you are a couple you need to purchase deposit(s) in each name. The FCD's are fully refundable if not used. They expire 2 years from date of purchase, and are automatically refunded at that time. You do have the option of contacting Princess and asking them to refund the deposits before the two years pass.

Fast Forward. As a couple you want to book a Princess cruise. You inform the T.A. to apply your $100 deposits to your new booking. That is all the deposit that is required (some exceptions see fine print). The fare is $1,000 each. You use the $100 pre-paid deposit. You now owe $900 each. As a benefit for using the FCD each of you will receive OBC according to the schedule shown in posting #11.

Here is the fine print:

* This letter has been issued from the Future Cruise Sales Department for a Future Cruise Deposit (“FCD”) in the amount specified above. The FCD is available to use on new future bookings only and is non-transferable. The FCD currency is non-changeable. The FCD is combinable with most publicly offered fares and promotions. The FCD will be automatically refunded if not applied to a new booking created within two years from date of purchase. Once applied to a booking the FCD is considered money and is subject to booking terms and conditions in the Passage contract. Only one FCD per person applied to a booking will provide shipboard credit. Shipboard credit is nonrefundable and only applicable to each FCD purchased and applies to the holder of the FCD only, excluding 3rd and 4th berth guests. Shipboard credit is based on the ship’s onboard currency and is not redeemable for cash. FCDs do not apply to bookings on Charter voyages. Reduced deposit and onboard credits do not apply to bookings 45+ days. The reduced deposit requirement for these bookings may vary based on booking dates, and a fare discount of 3% is provided. To make your next booking, please contact your Travel Agent, or Princess Cruises at 1-800-PRINCESS.

• Like 1

As the OP on this thread, Thank you skynight!  While others responded with snippets of the overall answer, you supplied the absolute best response geared toward fully explaining the situation to someone who had absolutely no prior knowledge of the topic.  Thank you!

Edited by Rick&Jeannie

Thanks all for the above answers.  But I'm still not sure if you need to use one or two FCD's as a deposit for a new cruise.  Will just one cover the two of us or is it mandatory to use one each.  Say we book a 12 day balcony.  If we use one only, the total benefit would be $200.  If we use two, the total benefit would be $400?

28 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Thanks all for the above answers.  But I'm still not sure if you need to use one or two FCD's as a deposit for a new cruise.  Will just one cover the two of us or is it mandatory to use one each.  Say we book a 12 day balcony.  If we use one only, the total benefit would be $200.  If we use two, the total benefit would be $400?

Each person must use their own FCD to make the deposit and receive the reduced deposit and the OBC.  

Use one, total benefit for the person named on the FCD is $100 OBC plus the reduced deposit of the $100. The other pays a full deposit with no OBC.

Use one each the total benefit is $200 OBC, $100 each, plus a reduced deposit of $100 each.

FCD's are individual and are purchased and used in the named person.

Edited by skynight

8 hours ago, steelers36 said:

The only way you can obtain (purchase) a FCD is while you are on a Princess Cruise.  You have to take at least your first cruise with a regular deposit, then pay in full and sail.  While on board, you buy 1 or more FCD's. 

As Thrak mentioned in a previous posting, there is a way around the lack of a FCD for that first (or any) cruise...if you live close enough to a port that offers BVE (San Pedro, San Francisco, New York, Fort Lauderdale, others?), you can pay $39 for a BVE and buy FCDs while on board for your visit (& "free" lunch). 

Added benefit for doing this, if you book a cruise within 90? days, you get the $39 back in the form of a reduction in the fare that you pay for the cruise.

6 hours ago, skynight said:

. FCDs do not apply to bookings on Charter voyages. Reduced deposit and onboard credits do not apply to bookings 45+ days. The reduced deposit requirement for these bookings may vary based on booking dates, and a fare discount of 3% is provided. To make your next booking, please contact your Travel Agent, or Princess Cruises at 1-800-PRINCESS.

I am curious by the statement in red. Is what they are saying is that if you booked a cruise that is 45 days the FCD does not apply as far as the reduced deposit and OBC? In other words, do not use it for 45+ day voyages?

6 minutes ago, greenie082756 said:

I am curious by the statement in red. Is what they are saying is that if you booked a cruise that is 45 days the FCD does not apply as far as the reduced deposit and OBC? In other words, do not use it for 45+ day voyages?

Princess is odd. When we (originally) booked a 49 day cruise they used the FCD as normal. Everybody else had the 3% fare discount. Obviously they made a mistake with our booking. Didn't make a difference in the end as we cancelled the cruise.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, greenie082756 said:

Yes, that is exactly what it says. Many 45+ day cruises can be booked in shorter b2b2b... segments, thus allowing the use of the FCD for each segment. You have to do the math to determine which is the most advantageous.

• Like 1