Transportation Seattle

pthjudy

5 hours ago, zelker said:

Flying into Seattle the morning of the cruise - July 29th?  

Typically we fly in the day before a cruise but for this one, we're considering arriving the morning of.  We're coming from Denver, a 3 hr non-stop flight on United scheduled to arrive into SeaTac at 10:15 AM.  There are 2 of us and we'll each have one large suitcase to pick up at the carousel and I will pre-arrange a town car to pick us up rather than dealing with a bus or shuttle. 

The ship (HAL Amsterdam) sails from Pier 91 at 4:00 PM and they say to arrive SeaTac by 1:00 PM (now THAT would make me nervous, even if we booked HAL's air).

I am aware that there might still be construction happening on Alaskan Way that could make traffic heavier on I-5 but maybe by that time of the morning things will have slacked off a bit - anymore it seems like traffic is heavy any time of day?  Also, if something causes our flight to be delayed or cancelled, there is a second nonstop that arrives SeaTac at 11:30 AM. 

We have trip insurance so should be covered if we miss the ship and have to meet it in Ketchikan two days later but obviously that's not our preference.

So for all you locals, what say you?  Fly in Sunday and pay to spend one night pre-cruise or we should be fine flying on Monday morning?

Thanks!!

Conventional wisdom is arrive a day earlier, but Denver is close and you are schedule to arrive at 10 am, with a back up flight arriving at 11:30.  I am guessing that you will be okay.  Traffic is bad here, but not 3 hours bad!!!  :  )

All this talk of cabs and shuttles- are Uber and Lyft not very popular in Seattle? I'm traveling in late August and was going to just use either Uber or Lyft to get around. (We're staying a night early and leaving a night late, so we want to do some sight seeing in Seattle before and after the cruise.)

• 1 month later...
On 5/9/2019 at 2:52 PM, Cyn874 said:

All this talk of cabs and shuttles- are Uber and Lyft not very popular in Seattle? I'm traveling in late August and was going to just use either Uber or Lyft to get around. (We're staying a night early and leaving a night late, so we want to do some sight seeing in Seattle before and after the cruise.)

We are planning on using Uber.

On 5/8/2019 at 8:10 PM, Ferry_Watcher said:

Conventional wisdom is arrive a day earlier, but Denver is close and you are schedule to arrive at 10 am, with a back up flight arriving at 11:30.  I am guessing that you will be okay.  Traffic is bad here, but not 3 hours bad!!!  :  )

Kept meaning to follow up to let you know that we decided to brave it and fly in the morning of on the non-stop United flight that arrives at 10:19.  Arranged for a sedan car to take us to the pier so it should be very straightforward.  Hopefully we won't be needing that back-up flight but it's there, just in case.  Thanks for all your help!

• Like 1

for others looking the Seattle airport has on site limos and towncars regulated by the port of Seattle.  You don't need reservations.  There is a phone in baggage claim and you dial 'ground transportation'.  STILAj towncars is the provider.  Flat rate into downtown is $45.  Fees vary but if memory is correct its about $60 to pier 91 and $45-50 to pier 66.  Much easier than trying to arrange off site limos or towncars.  Look on tripadvisor Seattle forum and read top questions on top right for other options.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 11:52 AM, Cyn874 said:

We used Uber in the past, and it was great. BTW we returned a rental car to the airport and saw a lot of their Priuses standing by in the parking lot. We like to go a day early and sightsee too.

On ‎5‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:07 PM, fla gang said:

I just booked with them for June 2019 from airport to Downtown Seattle for $50

How did it work out with them? We're also looking for transportation for 4 people and luggage form the airport to downtown.

The Limo service was very prompt. Like 3-5 minutes after my call. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Pine St. and loved the location. We are in our 60's and walked from downtown to the Space Needle(a bit of a walk) and to the Market. Word to the wise, Get to the market early. It will get so crowded you can't move. Two things I would recommend. #1 Is the chowder at Lowells in Pike Place Market and #2 . Across the street from Pike Place Market is a place called Beechers. If you think you have had good Mac n cheese in the past, you need to try this place. There will probably be a line outside of the place but it is worth the wait!

On 5/8/2019 at 1:44 PM, zelker said:

Flying into Seattle the morning of the cruise - July 29th?  

Typically we fly in the day before a cruise but for this one, we're considering arriving the morning of.  We're coming from Denver, a 3 hr non-stop flight on United scheduled to arrive into SeaTac at 10:15 AM.  There are 2 of us and we'll each have one large suitcase to pick up at the carousel and I will pre-arrange a town car to pick us up rather than dealing with a bus or shuttle. 

The ship (HAL Amsterdam) sails from Pier 91 at 4:00 PM and they say to arrive SeaTac by 1:00 PM (now THAT would make me nervous, even if we booked HAL's air).

I am aware that there might still be construction happening on Alaskan Way that could make traffic heavier on I-5 but maybe by that time of the morning things will have slacked off a bit - anymore it seems like traffic is heavy any time of day?  Also, if something causes our flight to be delayed or cancelled, there is a second nonstop that arrives SeaTac at 11:30 AM. 

We have trip insurance so should be covered if we miss the ship and have to meet it in Ketchikan two days later but obviously that's not our preference.

So for all you locals, what say you?  Fly in Sunday and pay to spend one night pre-cruise or we should be fine flying on Monday morning?

Thanks!!

On 5/8/2019 at 5:52 PM, Penzance said:

We too only have a 3 hour flight to Seatac which is scheduled to arrive in the morning, but after one of our 5 hour flights (to NY to start a cruise) turned into 10 hour nightmare, we vowed always to fly in at least a day before the cruise.  We did manage to get on board in NY with 1/2 hour to spare but then had to head straight to the bar to calm our nerves.  😮  

I virtually always suggest that people fly in at least 1 day ahead of embarkation day as I've seen too many people show up late and not get on their cruise due to flight delays beyond their control.  All it takes is a problem with a flight delay, weather delay, maintenance problem, etc. and you're all set up for a stressful start to a nice, calming cruise.   However, that decision is up to you.

That weekend will be right before the start of Fleet Week in Seattle so things will be starting to ramp up for that.  The tearing down of the viaduct along the waterfront has not turned into a major traffic problem during the weekends and should not add a great deal of time to the transit between SeaTac Airport and Pier 91.  A 10:15 arrival time is a good time and whether you use the regular H-A shuttle bus to get from the airport to the pier, Seattle Express, Shuttle Express, taxi or town car you shouldn't have any trouble at all in getting to the pier.  You'll probably arrive at the pier around noon, regardless of the mode of transport which is a good time.

Hope that you all have a safe trip to/from Seattle and a great cruise!

Tom

15 hours ago, fla gang said:

The Limo service was very prompt. Like 3-5 minutes after my call. We stayed at the Grand Hyatt on Pine St. and loved the location. We are in our 60's and walked from downtown to the Space Needle(a bit of a walk) and to the Market. Word to the wise, Get to the market early. It will get so crowded you can't move. Two things I would recommend. #1 Is the chowder at Lowells in Pike Place Market and #2 . Across the street from Pike Place Market is a place called Beechers. If you think you have had good Mac n cheese in the past, you need to try this place. There will probably be a line outside of the place but it is worth the wait!

Did you book with Already There Limo service on-line? How many people did you have? Just wondering how much more it might be for 4 people.
We've eaten lunch at Beechers twice and will probably do it again this time. It's great!

16 hours ago, fla gang said:

Was this AlreadyThere towncars? Just curious. Had a really bad experience with them June 17. Won't use or recommend them again.

5 hours ago, cruises42 said:

Did you book with Already There Limo service on-line? How many people did you have? Just wondering how much more it might be for 4 people.
We've eaten lunch at Beechers twice and will probably do it again this time. It's great!

Two of us and I think it was $50 plus tip.

• Like 1

Following! A lot of good info. Thank you everyone.  We are arrive a week early. Doing some hiking in CA, OR and WA, then hitting Seattle about 3 days before to do all the touristy stuff. Have the Market planned first thing in the morning then off to other tourist items.  So, we are renting a car, but planned to return it on Monday or Tues (depending if the hotel charges us for parking, in which I read some do) at the airport. We originally planned a Uber or Lyft from the airport to the pier. Does anyone know how much that cost would be (Uber/Lyft), compared to the Towncar?  Plan two: Drop car off Monday, Uber back to Hotel, If we like the driver-tell him in advance and then call to pick us up from Hotel to Pier.  Thank you in advance for any ideas or suggestions. We have plenty of time to plan. 

Uber/Lyft from the airport will most likely be competitive with the STILA towncars that you can get next to the taxi rank in the airport garage.  If "surge" pricing is in effect it might be more, but unlikely.    Note there are two piers, Pier 66 is downtown; Pier 91 (everybody except Norwegian and I think Oceania) is around 3 miles farther from the airport, so prices will vary depending on the destination.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 7:17 PM, waltd said:

I was told by a local airport hotel that the cost of a cab to the port  from the airport would be around $70. For what its worth.  😀

OOF TAH! :classic_ohmy:

On 5/1/2019 at 6:00 PM, pthjudy said:

I know this should be posted in a different forum but I always expect a great response from the Princess boards. We are taking the Ruby out of Seattle to Alaska on June 1. We have 2 nights at the Westin in Seattle pre cruise. I’d like to make a car service reservation for 3 from the airport to the hotel. Have any of you used a reasonably priced service that will pick us up curbside? We don’t need a limo but something big enough for us and our luggage. Thanks. 

We used Already There for multiple pick ups during our pre and post cruise transfers. They were GREAT!! The service before was spot on, drivers were very nice and texted before arriving so we were ready and the cars were very clean. It was a great experience.

SEATAC to hotel, and hotel to port, I would take STILA from airport to hotel (very smooth, efficient, professional, reasonable price) and then taxi from hotel to port( same things..fast efficient, reasonable price). It was very easy.

Not sure where to put this question..It's more an advice question.  

We are arriving a week before our sail date (don't want to be late...LOL) to do some exploring.  Renting a car in CA and driving up to Seattle.  We planned to do airport-airport rent a car rental. What would you recommend; dropping the car off the day before the cruise or the morning of the cruise? My plan was the morning of, taking transportation from the airport to the ship. #2 Depending on what hotel, maybe Shuttle from airport to Hotel, Hotel to pier? We have nothing planned the morning of. Just sleeping in and take in a nice breakfast. Just asking for ideas or advice.Maybe something I haven't thought of. 

Edited by Diggerof4

How about dropping the car at a downtown rental office either the day before, or the day of your cruise? Takes one complication (getting from airport to downtown hotel) out of the formula. I would probably turn the car in the day before your cruise...parking downtown is expensive.

On 7/11/2019 at 1:56 PM, Gardyloo said:

..... Note there are two piers, Pier 66 is downtown; Pier 91 (everybody except Norwegian and I think Oceania) is around 3 miles farther from the airport, so prices will vary depending on the destination.

Actually, Celebrity also uses Pier 91 for embarkation and disembarkation.  Currently Celebrity only uses Pier 66 for port calls on their Pacific Coastal itineraries.  

We cruised out of Seattle two weeks ago. There were four adults and a lot of luggage. I’ve used Uber XL before in other situations  but most couldn’t carry that much luggage. We got to the taxi stand and asked the guy for a minivan and he called one in from the back of the line of taxis. I believe the fare was about $45 to the Hyatt Regency Downtown. We did use UberXL after the cruise as Port Valet had taken care of our luggage. 

• Like 1