Measles and cruising

9 hours ago, SuzeCruz1 said:

I had measles, mumps and chickenpox back in the 50's.  A few years ago, I had shingles.  It was the single most painful experience I've ever had - worse than childbirth, surgery, broken bones and ear infections.  One side of my face and scalp were covered - even my hair hurt!!!  According to my M.D., having shingles once does not make you immune to getting it again.  If you've had chickenpox, please get the shingles vaccine.   

I feel your pain.   and lucky me, I CAN'T get the  shingles vaccine because of my autoimmune disease and therapy.  in fact any live vaccine is right out.  

MMR boosters are supposedly necessary every ten years or so?   I think.  

12 hours ago, miched said:

When I was was 5, 6 or 7 in the early 50s I had the measles many times.  

12 hours ago, miched said:

Now there are vaccinations for the flu, whooping cough, shingles, tetanus, and whatever else the drug companies can come up with to get more  money from us.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Many times ?????  Unlikely — you can only get measles once, then you have life-long immunity; the same way being exposed to the virus by vaccination immunized.

”...get more money from us.” ?  

2 hours ago, spookwife said:

I am 41 and had the shots when I was a toddler and the second several years later (my  mom kept the records). My doctor recently told me there was no reason to get the booster. I read an article that said those born prior to or vaccinated before 1968 should get a booster as the vaccine was changed (for the better) as of that year.

Edited by JennyB1977

14 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

The CDC says that anyone born before 1957 does not need a shot.  

Their reasoning is anyone born before that date has already had, or been exposed to, the measles (measles and rubella).

However, that's not true.  I was born before 1957, and had two sisters who both got measles & rubella when were all around 5-10 years of age.  I never got it.  When I was married they required blood tests, and it showed I had no immunity to rubella, despite the fact that I had a measles shot when in high school.  So I got another shot.  I now show immunity to rubella and measles, but not mumps.

To anyone worried, if you're unsure as to whether you've got immunity ask your doctor to do a titre test. 

15 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Isn't this the ship that was docked for so many years in Aruba?  It was alleged that it was full of a dangerous form of asbestos, among other problems:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freewinds

Being built in the 60's, yes this ship would have considerable amounts of asbestos. However, this is common on all ships with about probably 80-90% of ships at sea still containing significant quantities of asbestos, of various types. In my experience, ships don't just have 1 type of asbestos, they have multiple types based on the application.

My company stopped using it in the early 1990's, but in the marine industry it was routinely used until as late as 2002, as per SOLAS, which permitted limited applications until about 7 or 8 years ago, when it was banned completely from all construction.

On all our ships with asbestos, each ship must have an ACM plan identifying which areas are clear and areas containing ACM. ACM areas were also clearly marked. Any remaining ACM must have been fully encapsulated, so only became an issue when working on areas, or they became damaged.  

I was born before 1957.   I have an older sister, one year older.  She contracted rubeola early...I believe I was still in a crib at the time.  Knowing I would get them (we shared a room) I was given a shot of gamma globulin so they wouldn't be as bad.  But I got them worse.  Fast forward, first grade was hard on the family.  My sister brought home rubella, and passed it around to Mom and Dad - but I never got sick.  Later in the year, she did the same with mumps - and I never got sick.  But later testing shows I do have immunity.  My only coup was to bring home chicken pox.  And we were quarantined with scarlet fever (sister again) when I broke out.  EM

I would be sorely vexed, if I missed ports because some unvaccinated individual caused the ship to be quarantined.

As a child, I asked an old MD how chiropractors could be against vaccination. His answer? "They never saw a child die of diphtheria."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, whogo said:

As a child, I asked an old MD how chiropractors could be against vaccination. His answer? "They never saw a child die of diphtheria."

This reminds me of a news story I saw about 20 years ago. A 94 year-old woman was graduating college. She had been forced to drop out for economic reasons when she first attended (when it was fairly rare for women to go to college). The journalist asked her what the biggest change was, clearly expecting an answer about computer technology. The graduate replied, "Vaccines," and went on to talk about how many childhood and young adult friends she had lost, about iron lungs and the crippling effects of polio, about quarantines, etc.

I've tried searching for the video in the past, but this was before nearly every news story was put online, and "important" ones stayed in accessible archives.

Another who suffered shingles here:  on my back at my waistline.  Couldn't sit, couldn't lie down, couldn't sleep more than a few minutes at  time, without intense pain.  Would only wish shingles on the worst of society <and govenment>...

If I had not all the various measles/rubella/mumps/chicken pox as a child, I would start being rather hesitant to take a cruise during the time of year which would have lots of families.  Too many anti-vaxers out there who do not care that their "choice" not to vaccinate puts the public in danger, especially in confined places...   I have a great-nephew with an immune-compromised system - he can't understand why he can't go play at the local playground.  

I can see Caribbean countries thinking about requiring proof of vaccination or proof from an MD that one is "immune" - they are also "confined" places and an outbreak of a communicable disease could be devastating.  

• Like 1

18 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

The CDC says that anyone born before 1957 does not need a shot.  

That's not exactly what the CDC says.  The CDC says that "birth in the United States before 1957" is "presumptive evidence" of immunity.  That's not exactly the same as actually being immune.  If you were born in the U.S. before that date, and don't know whether you actually had measles, or whether you were vaccinated, getting a blood titer to check for antibodies would be a good idea.   Ask your doctor.

https://www.cdc.gov/measles/travelers.html

If you don't have the vaccinations, you should get them.  It's only common sense.  Measles, mumps and whooping cough do kill. Not everyone, but you can then pass it to someone who is extremely susceptible to it...it might kill them.  

Do it for your health...not for a vacation.

2 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

If you don't have the vaccinations, you should get them.  It's only common sense.  Measles, mumps and whooping cough do kill. Not everyone, but you can then pass it to someone who is extremely susceptible to it...it might kill them.  

Do it for your health...not for a vacation.

Totally agree.  Just reported that a woman with measles went to a movie theater in California and now they are warning folks they may have been exposed to the measles.

15 hours ago, spookwife said:

This is not the case. 

You're probably thinking of Tetanus and Pertussis (Whooping Cough) which does need to be renewed/boostered every ten years.

Originally, MMR was only given as one dose.  Now it is given in two doses.  A single dose of MMR gives immunity to 90% of the people who got the shot; the second dose brings that number up to 99%.  That's why people who only got a single shot (in the 1960s) are recommended to get the second dose.  (Alternately, you can have your titers checked to see if you're immune.)

10 hours ago, whogo said:

That's a heck of an odd generalization.... my chiropractor has vaccinated all his kids.  (I know this because his wife was pregnant with their first at the same time I was pregnant with mine, twenty years ago.  And this was right in the height of the stupid "vaccines cause autism" baloney.)

2 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Totally agree.  Just reported that a woman with measles went to a movie theater in California and now they are warning folks they may have been exposed to the measles.

Of course she did.  There's no way she was giving up seeing Avengers EndGame first show.  She had just returned from a trip to Vietnam, and was attending the midnight show.  She broke out with measles, supposedly, by morning.

7 hours ago, brillohead said:

That's a heck of an odd generalization.... my chiropractor has vaccinated all his kids. 

I grew up near a chiropractic college and regularly heard outrageous claims.