Love Bugs Infest the Harmony at Port Canaveral

2 hours ago, island lady said:

LOL...Yeah, we do have the skeets here...but they were much, much worse (plus biting flies) where I grew up in Michigan.  

I don't know...ever hear of the Okefenokee?  You may see some critters in your swamp up there.  😉

I would rather live in my swamp, than the concrete jungles of the big cities anyway.  Oh wait...didn't Shrek say that? 😄 

That's the beauty of living in the burbs (instead of the city) where the critters are few and far between. We don't need to use baseball bats to address the bugs here. 🤣

We were in Fll sailing the Allure on May 5th.  

We just missed these bugs......

All that I can say is  eeeeewwwwwweeeeeee.........................I will put up with the snow for now.....       🙂

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 2:00 PM, NanciRDH said:

Welcome to Florida!  They have been more prolific this year for some reason.  Annoying, but harmless, unless you're a car.  The bug remnants in your grill after even a short drive will digest your paint job.  

We were in Orlando for ten days last week and they were everywhere, YIKES.

My granddaughter pointed to an orgy!

On 5/10/2019 at 11:41 AM, CruisinCrow said:

It's crazy to give a hotel bad reviews because of love bugs.  They can't do anything about it.  Every other hotel will have the same issue.  Wait two weeks - problem solved.

Still the Contemporary IS stupid expensive. I  laughed out loud!😜😉

• Like 1

On 5/9/2019 at 12:21 PM, Barklee said:

Here's a humorous story on Love Bugs from the Orlando Sentinel

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/opinion/os-love-bug-season-florida-scott-maxwell-20180426-story.html

If CC doesn't allow the web address to show, Google: Love bug season is back in Florida

Fabulous article, loved the billboard cartoon!

We used to think Love Bugs were limited to the areas away from the beach. This year completely screwed up that theory.  North Ormond to Flagler/Palm Coast on A1A had huge amounts in the first week. Mostly tapered off now. I ride my motorcycle just about everyday. There are a few roads to avoid for some reason but the numbers have dropped down. It still requires a good bike wash after each ride. Those lovers sure can screw up a paint job if ignored. 

On 5/16/2019 at 8:48 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Yeah...heard about the myth too...we all know it was Florida State.

Really?  🤨 And your hard information is based on what? 

Lovebug

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to navigationJump to search
For other uses, see Lovebug (disambiguation).
Lovebug
Lovebugs.jpg
Scientific classification
Class:
Order:
Family:
Genus:
Species:
P. nearctica
Binomial name
Plecia nearctica
Hardy, 1940[1]

The lovebug (Plecia nearctica) is a species of march fly found in parts of Central America and the southeastern United States, especially along the Gulf Coast.[2] It is also known as the honeymoon fly or double-headed bug. During and after mating, adult pairs remain coupled, even in flight, for up to several days.[3]

The species was first described in 1940 by D. E. Hardy, but was seen in Louisiana as early as 1911.[4] At that time, he reported the incidence of lovebugs to be widespread, but most common in Texas, Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Louisiana.[2] However, by the end of the 20th century the species had spread heavily to all areas bordering the Gulf of Mexico, as well as Georgia and South Carolina. L. A. Hetrick, writing in 1970, found the bug was also widespread in central and northern Florida and described its flights as reaching altitudes of 300 to 450 metres (980 to 1,480 ft) and extending several kilometers over the Gulf.[5]

Lovebugs' larvae feed on partially decayed vegetation in the landscape and, in this respect, are beneficial to humans. Adults primarily feed on nectar from various plants, particularly sweet clover, goldenrod, and Brazilian pepper.[2]

Edited by island lady

Just now, CruisinCrow said:

Pretty sure that was a joke.  I thought it was hilarious. :classic_smile:  

I think you are right....considering the "love" that exists between Florida State and UF.  😉  Though there are still some that really do believe love bugs were created here. 😮 

1 minute ago, island lady said:

I think you are right....considering the "love" that exists between Florida State and UF.  😉  Though there are still some that really do believe love bugs were created here. 😮 

Yeah, I've heard a couple of people mention that urban legend recently.

They are still swarming all over our house, and still have to wash off the SUV each time I have to come back from somewhere.  Have been living in Florida now for 40 years...worst I have ever seen it and lasting much longer than usual.  

Just drove from Melbourne to Orlando and back.  My car is 

On 5/15/2019 at 12:32 PM, rusty nut said:

This is Fort Lauderdale to Orlando and back. Worst I've ever seen.

i-2QK9GXx-X2.jpg

i-KKNXsBt-X2.jpg

i-qrmDPtk-X2.jpg

i-QTC674m-L.jpg

Just drove from Cocoa to Orlando and back.  Love bugs were awful today!  At least twice as many as this picture shows!  😱😱. My poor car!