Just back from Perfect Day At Coco Cay

Just now, drewdrewcruiser said:

I'm kinda thinking the same thing but have some time to hear others' experiences.

yeap, same here, I am going on January. Now I want to see the other cabanas to see if I want to change. I kinda wanted one by the pool as my daughter could go and I could see her. LOL That is not happening ! Again I would consider 500 if they had someone bringing drinks to people in cabanas, not only water. 

8 hours ago, Deseo1578 said:

yeap, same here, I am going on January. Now I want to see the other cabanas to see if I want to change. I kinda wanted one by the pool as my daughter could go and I could see her. LOL That is not happening ! Again I would consider 500 if they had someone bringing drinks to people in cabanas, not only water. 

Glad we reserved our Thrill Waterpark Cabana. Steps away from the Wave Pool, giant Slides, etc. Great "home base" for our visit later this year - and at $66/person...reasonable considering it includes bottled water, towels, food, and admission to the waterpark itself.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, nanowerx said:

Not gonna lie, the 'party atmosphere' that turned you off sounds like a good time to me. I'd prefer the island be alive with music and festivities. If you want to sleep, go find a deck chair on the ships pool...which is essentially abandoned while the ship is docked. You will have loads of quiet time all to yourself at no extra cost.

This post also confirmed my initial assumption that the Perfect Day waterpark is a huge waste of money. Over an hour to ride a waterslide with only one ship docked....and RC is talking about having 3 ships at once there in the future?! 🤨 Doesn't sound like much fun @ $72/pp

I'm with you.. I'm looking forward to the party atmosphere.. can't wait to check out that pool.

55 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Glad we reserved our Thrill Waterpark Cabana. Steps away from the Wave Pool, giant Slides, etc. Great "home base" for our visit later this year - and at $66/person...reasonable considering it includes bottled water, towels, food, and admission to the waterpark itself.

I was considering the waterpark cabanas but there are 7 of us and max is 6.  If I purchase the extra park admission, not sure if they would they let the 7th person hang out with us in our cabana?  

18 hours ago, nanowerx said:

Over an hour to ride a waterslide with only one ship docked....and RC is talking about having 3 ships at once there in the future?! 🤨 Doesn't sound like much fun @ $72/pp

Actually...there are many water slides...not just one...and other water activities as well...so that 1 report of waiting on 1 slide at 1 time is not indicative of the norm.

Also...at the $66 we're paying for our Thrill Waterpark Cabana per person...getting a "home base" next to the Wave Pool, food, unlimited bottled water, any towels needed, full admission to the Water Park itself for the whole day, and close access to free food is an amazing deal and will be loads of fun.

• Like 2

Just now, drewdrewcruiser said:

I was considering the waterpark cabanas but there are 7 of us and max is 6.  If I purchase the extra park admission, not sure if they would they let the 7th person hang out with us in our cabana?  

Worst case...one pays admission...and then joins the 6 in the cabana that includes admission. Likely, they'll never be more than 6 in the cabana at any given time anyway.

9 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Worst case...one pays admission...and then joins the 6 in the cabana that includes admission. Likely, they'll never be more than 6 in the cabana at any given time anyway.

I'm pretty sure that they give you a band that you can't remove, at least that was the case at Labadee.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

Good point. I just need to also  get past the price.  $600!

I have never stop at CoCo Cay before.

I plan on getting the unlimited soda (from the soda gun) and virgin drink package with the plastic cup.

Can I get a soda or a virgin drink with the package there?

Plan on only going to the beach area, are there lounge chairs in the shade?

53 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

I'm pretty sure that they give you a band that you can't remove, at least that was the case at Labadee.

Yes...for the 6 people...the 7th person who pays admission in addition in that case also gets an admission wristband.

40 minutes ago, drewdrewcruiser said:

We're going during Spring Break, week before Easter.  It's doubtful the price will lower but I'm gonna keep checking! 

Definitely keep checking regularly...the prices seem to "bounce" up and down.

We have rented cabana's in the past and have loved them, but we have always been a group of adults.  We are taking our Kids, their spouses and our 5 grandkids (ages 5-12) this time.  We total 11, so a cabana will not work for us.  Plus I am thinking that with the kids, we will not be lounging in our cabanas, but will be pretty much on the go.   We are planning to buy the half day for the slides and then just enjoy what is free the rest of the day.  

The area looks huge, can anyone suggest the best place to grab some chairs/umbrellas  that we can use as our 'base' for the day?   Somewhere that the kids will enjoy, where we can hook up with each other throughout the day.      Are we permitted to put all our towels, shoes, cover ups etc there?   (We have never worried about anyone taking our stuff ,we keep money any other valuables with us or leave on the ship.)  Or is that considered being a chair hog?   

'

49 minutes ago, brookmill18 said:

Is the pool only in the water park area with the admission price, or is the swim up pool accessible to all?

Swim up pool is public/open.

The Thrill Water Park admission includes (from the Royal website):

Take a 135-foot plunge down the tallest waterslide in North America, Daredevil’s Peak℠— just one of 7 slides on Daredevil’s Tower. Buddy-up for the multi-rider raft slides and side-by-side mat racers at Family Tower. Make a splash in the Caribbean’s largest wave pool ever. Bounce, climb and swing your way through floating lily pads, rope swings and a rock climbing wall at the kid-friendly Adventure Pool.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, ramidon1 said:

Pros:  no tendering, music and dancers to welcome you, food was fresh and delish, drink servers were frequent and quite quick, lots of different areas to explore.  Floating tiki bar was great,  could walk waaay out on sandbar...watch out for stingrays....do the stingray shuffle!  Fireworks just prior to departing COCO Cay were great but need to be later as it was not dark enough!  A very worthy effort tho.  Loved the beer tap at the buffet!  Lots of bathrooms around.  

Where is the Sandbar with the Rays????

22 hours ago, ramidon1 said:

Overall impression.....it feels pretty disney-ized, miss the natural relaxed beauty of the Bahamas.  Plenty for everyone to do and lots of opportunity for RCCL to get their hands onto more of your $$.  It’s nice and all but personally not really anything I’m looking for on a cruise.  

Totally agree with that.  If I want commercialized, fake theme park type atmosphere...I will go to Orlando.  Not interested in crowds waiting in line for everything.  Not a relaxing atmosphere.

On a cruise...I enjoy going to a natural beach setting, drink in what Mother Nature has to offer.  IMHO ....RCI killed the sweet little island.  "Paved Paradise and put up a parking lot".  Sigh...OK...flame suit on.  😮 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 6

On 5/6/2019 at 2:34 PM, ramidon1 said:

Pros:  no tendering, music and dancers to welcome you, food was fresh and delish, drink servers were frequent and quite quick, lots of different areas to explore.  Floating tiki bar was great,  could walk waaay out on sandbar...watch out for stingrays....do the stingray shuffle!  Fireworks just prior to departing COCO Cay were great but need to be later as it was not dark enough!  A very worthy effort tho.  Loved the beer tap at the buffet!  Lots of bathrooms around.  

Cons:  Oasis lagoon cabana was underwhelming.  Poor and limited seating in the cabana, poor location...could not even see the pool past rows and rows of the free chairs... zero service except for regular bar servers.  No towels in cabana.  Music at lagoon pool was obnoxious and relentless.....got louder as afternoon progressed.  We were hoping to relax and nap in cabana but music was too much.  Did not realize it is set up as such a party scene....not described that way—would have never wasted the money on the cabana.  Pool water was cold in the morning but warmed up as day went on.  Waterslides.....per our twenty somethings in the group....1.5 hour wait for the big slide with only one ship at coco....what will it be with more than 1 ship??

Overall impression.....it feels pretty disney-ized, miss the natural relaxed beauty of the Bahamas.  Plenty for everyone to do and lots of opportunity for RCCL to get their hands onto more of your $$.  It’s nice and all but personally not really anything I’m looking for on a cruise.  

Did they have tickets in your cabin, like most other excursions, that you had to then turn in for wristbands, or was your entrance to the thrillpark on your seapass card?

23 hours ago, phabric said:

I have never stop at CoCo Cay before.

I plan on getting the unlimited soda (from the soda gun) and virgin drink package with the plastic cup.

Can I get a soda or a virgin drink with the package there?

Plan on only going to the beach area, are there lounge chairs in the shade?

Whatever package you for use on the ship can also be used on Coco Cay.  However the selections may be more limited.

I really hope the line wait will go down. We've been to our fair share of water parks but can't imagine climbing that high and waiting an eternity.  You would spend all of your time waiting.  Not my idea of fun and it's shady how there is such a huge price range depending on the season.  It seems to be all about the money but hopefully we will have more reviews coming in soon....