Free Wifi

Hi,

Is there anywhere on board you can get free wifi to check emails etc? We can use our data when in most ports but sea days im assuming data wont work.

Dont really want to pay nearly $100.00 for the 8 nights just to reply to a few emails when necessary

No free internet access onboard, except for some Royal Caribbean related sites.

You can buy internet by the day once onboard.  Last time I checked, it was around $23 for a 24-hour period.

3 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

Using data in ports might be pricey depending on your plan as you are likely to be charged roaming fees.  Check with your carrier.

looks like we will be ok in san juan & st maarten, not sure about st thomas or labadee.

Its not hugely important, just I am self employed and don’t like leaving emails unanswered for too long.

1 minute ago, mcoler181 said:

looks like we will be ok in san juan & st maarten, not sure about st thomas or labadee.

Its not hugely important, just I am self employed and don’t like leaving emails unanswered for too long.

I don't recall any connectivity on Labadee.

2 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

Who's your Carrier?

3 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

Yes as to San Juan but am surprised about St. Maarten.   I understand your need as I am also self-employed.   I have some free time as D+, and dh let's me use his time and then I buy additional time as needed.

10 minutes ago, mcoler181 said:

You might want to verify St. Maarten. You will have free access in both San Juan and St. Thomas as they are both part of the U.S. and included in most, if not all, basic plans.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

You might want to verify St. Maarten. You will have free access in both San Juan and St. Thomas as they are both part of the U.S. and included in most, if not all, basic plans.

Yeah 3 mobile include all of the French West Indies

1 hour ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

OP is not from the US and does not have a US carrier.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

I don't recall any connectivity on Labadee.

There is a cell tower on the hill within sight of the ship, opposite side of the bay.  It works for US carriers, unsure about other regions.  

I use my included T-Mobile plan there frequently.  

2 minutes ago, twangster said:

There is a cell tower on the hill within sight of the ship, opposite side of the bay.  It works for US carriers, unsure about other regions.  

I use my included T-Mobile plan there frequently.  

Thanks for the update.

3 hours ago, mcoler181 said:

Hi,

Is there anywhere on board you can get free wifi to check emails etc? We can use our data when in most ports but sea days im assuming data wont work.

Dont really want to pay nearly $100.00 for the 8 nights just to reply to a few emails when necessary

Being from the UK roaming/ data charges will be expensive if you're using a UK plan. 

I'm not sure which ports you're visiting but, I remember in Falmouth, St Thomas, St Maarten I was easily able to connect to Free Wifi at Cafes/ restaurants. Labadee I got nothing but that was a few years ago.

Sea Days you will have to either pay for internet for the week or see about a 24 hour pass. It sucks the internet is so expensive to buy when you just want to check a few e-mails! 

I asked RCI about WiFi and they said it is NOT available at Labadee (my exact question was I have the Key with VROOM package, does that extend to Labadee as it is owned by RCI?? and the operator said NO). San Juan is US territory so that will be fine. I'm told a lot of ports offer free Wi-Fi so at least you can do emails there, but I wouldn't recommend banking on public wifi.

22 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Using data in ports might be pricey depending on your plan as you are likely to be charged roaming fees.  Check with your carrier.

Easy.  Free WiFi hotspots.

Ask crew members, as they use them and know them.  They have to pay for internet access on board.

Another option, switch to T-mobile.  Unlimited texting and data, 25 cent per minute calling, in over 210 countries.  

I also have T-Mobile and when you connect in port they send you a text telling you what you have that you can use in that port. A great convenience. Most of the time texting and sending pictures is a no charge with them. Just about every port that you can connect T-Mobile will work. Mine is two phones for $70.00 a month total. Senior package with unlimited everything.

On 5/8/2019 at 11:03 AM, mcoler181 said:

Yeah 3 mobile include all of the French West Indies

Phillipsburg, Sint Maarten (where the ships dock) is in the Kingdom of the Netherlands. St. Martin, the northern part of the island, is in the French West Indies. You are unlikely connect to a French cell tower while in Phillipsburg. 

Might want to check with others on your Roll Call to see if anyone is interested in sharing a multi-device plan.  

On my last cruise, I bought a 4-device plan and shared it with three other people (they paid me cash at the beginning of the cruise).  Final result was $50/person for the entire week for full-time access for all of us.  

The cost goes down drastically when you add extra devices!