Dining Questions

shealea

1 hour ago, George C said:

I saw this at end of March on infinity, I believe thinking that they enforce dress code you are living in the past, we were in suite and most people dressed fine in luminae, I asked girl at front of the dinning room about the shorts and she said they were not allowed to turn people away. I would love to see dress code enforced . This was dinner and not first night guy also had baseball cap on backwards. Wish I took a picture.

Celebrity's policy of being consistently inconsistent. RC is the same. 

Edited by davekathy

3 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Celebrity's policy of being consistently inconsistent. RC is the same. 

Seemed like more that 95 percent followed dress code on celebrity, rccl you seem to be in minority when you dress up. 

2 hours ago, George C said:

I saw this at end of March on infinity, I believe thinking that they enforce dress code you are living in the past, we were in suite and most people dressed fine in luminae, I asked girl at front of the dinning room about the shorts and she said they were not allowed to turn people away. I would love to see dress code enforced . This was dinner and not first night guy also had baseball cap on backwards. Wish I took a picture.

I really like how Celebrity modified the suggested dress code to be more casual across the board.  I guess someone is always going to push it.  

Anyway, I know others feel differently but to me it isn't worth getting too upset about.    

PS: Ship we saw the guy turned away for shorts at dinnertime was also Infinity (last year).  

Edited by ldubs

On 5/9/2019 at 4:24 PM, cangelmd said:

Don’t let dress code keep you out of MDR, I completely agree with the person who said you DH can get by with a button down shirt - he can probably get by with a neat polo even on evening chic. Neat black pants and a light colored blouse with a pretty necklace and you will be good to go as well. Some people do dress up, we dress up, but you will literally see everything except t-shirts and shorts.

cangelmd, Thank you for commenting on my post.  That is really nice to know.  My husband has really nice dark black jeans and some very nice polo shirts. Black and also grey. Nice black shoes.   I have nice skirts and some pretty tops.  Nice black sandals.   So it sounds like we will be ok on the dressier nights also.

13 hours ago, helen haywood said:

Please don't skip Evening Chic nights because of clothes!  Your husband will be fine in his dark jean even on those nights!  And the second Evening Chic night has some of the best MDR menu choices!

Well that is good to know. Thanks for telling me. I just told my husband. I will be certain that we don't miss the second Evening Chic night!!!  

We are sure looking forward to this cruise as it will be our first time using Celebrity.  I've read wonderful posts about them! We are easy to please and enjoy most everything when we cruise. This is our 6th cruise to Alaska, and we Always find something new to do or places to explore!!!!!!!

17 hours ago, ldubs said:

PS: Ship we saw the guy turned away for shorts at dinnertime was also Infinity (last year).  

I can vouch for that on the Equinox, too. My husband didn't want to change out of his khaki shorts even though I warned him. He had to go back to the room to change while the rest of us started dinner. And this was just one of the regular nights.

Your selection of clothes sounds fine for every evening in the MDR. I haven't cruised Alaska on Celebrity yet but noticed evenings in the MDR were more casual than on other destinations (RCCL).

We loved our first Celebrity cruise and have two more booked. I'm sure you'll have a fabulous time. And you should write a trip report afterwards and let us know how it goes.

5 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

I can vouch for that on the Equinox, too. My husband didn't want to change out of his khaki shorts even though I warned him. He had to go back to the room to change while the rest of us started dinner. And this was just one of the regular nights.

Most of our cruises have been on NCL. we were out and about on the ship one early evening, and we passed the MDR and decided we were hungry and stopped in to get a bite too eat.  whoops...…..  Husband had on shorts. No No …..we forgot and he got turned down and had to go change out of his shorts!!!

NCL is pretty relaxed on the dress code. On our one Holland America cruise to Alaska it seemed that folks did dress up a bit more than on NCL.

1 hour ago, helen haywood said:

You can check out the evening’s menu; it will be posted outside the MDR after breakfast if it is a port day and after lunch if it is a sea day.  Then decide where to eat.

That is a good idea to check the menu out ahead of time. |We will do that.

The menu on some ships is also accessible via the incabin TV.  However, I would hesitate to consider it gospel as sometimes the itinerary necessitates switching an Evening Chic menu to another night.  The posted menu outside the MDR will be correct.

4 hours ago, shealea said:

Most of our cruises have been on NCL. we were out and about on the ship one early evening, and we passed the MDR and decided we were hungry and stopped in to get a bite too eat.  whoops...…..  Husband had on shorts. No No …..we forgot and he got turned down and had to go change out of his shorts!!!

NCL is pretty relaxed on the dress code. On our one Holland America cruise to Alaska it seemed that folks did dress up a bit more than on NCL.

We like dressing up.  Or, well, *I* like dressing up and hubby humors me.  We even did the tux rental thing on our 12-night Med cruise, which really?  I highly recommend.  It was like $100 for the entire cruise and we didn't have to add all that weight into our suitcases (But we still ended up buy a suitcase to carry all the stuff we bought in Italy and Spain).

11 hours ago, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

We like dressing up.  Or, well, *I* like dressing up and hubby humors me.  We even did the tux rental thing on our 12-night Med cruise, which really?  I highly recommend.  It was like $100 for the entire cruise and we didn't have to add all that weight into our suitcases (But we still ended up buy a suitcase to carry all the stuff we bought in Italy and Spain).

That is wonderful that you enjoy dressing up and your hubby will go along with it. I'll bet that you love seeing him all decked out in a tux!  Have you ever had a photo package setting done onboard while you both are dressed so special????

I like how the cruise lines are offering different choices for folks that cruise. Dressing up fancy like you and your husband d o just isn't our thing. I would not feel comfortable.  But I'm glad that you do. I always love to see the couples all dressed up and really admire them when I see them out and about!

Sandy

15 hours ago, helen haywood said:

The menu on some ships is also accessible via the incabin TV.  However, I would hesitate to consider it gospel as sometimes the itinerary necessitates switching an Evening Chic menu to another night.  The posted menu outside the MDR will be correct.

Thanks for that information. I will certainly check it out on the TV. 

On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2019 at 2:51 AM, shealea said:

Hi, All! I have two questions.

We are cruising to Alaska soon on the Celebrity Solstice. We would like to know what the dining options are right 
after we board the ship. Is there any choice besides the buffet?

Also, we got assigned late dining as that was the only choice left. Is it possible to try and change to  Anytime Dining

before we board, Or is our only way to try to change by going to the maître d?

Oh, one more question:  What exactly does Designer Jeans mean as far as being allowed to be worn in the dining room?

Geez, these days, designer jeans mean ripped jeans with really cool holes in them …….   ha!  My husband would like to

wear a nice pair of black jeans with a nice polo shirt. Will that be allowed?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it!

Once on board go see the Maître D. They can alter your dining arrangements. It might take the next night for it to happen, as you'll have LOTS of company. The buffet is where you'll likely have your embarkation lunch. After that, the buffet at night is mainly for those who won't dress up beyond shorts, or who just want a quick bite. As to options you'll have the MDR or 3 alternative main dining venues. Those cost about $50, but look for good discounts. Ambience/better food/more attention to detail are the attractions here. Designer jeans are pretty much what you stated. I never wear jeans at night. I prefer Khaki or slacks with button down shirt. As long as your husband's jeans don't have holes, he'll be fine. His choice if he wants to bring a sport coat for Chic nights. Check Youtube for Celebrity videos that show pax dining out. You'll get a good idea. Tuxes/suits are not necessary, but you'll see some. Most likely on 10 day or longer cruises.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 5:14 AM, 2Long2NxtCrz said:

Glad to see the Maître D enforcing at least some modicum of style.

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 12:58 AM, ldubs said:

At dinner time?  We have yet to see that allowed at dinner.  In fact saw guy turned away because he was wearing shorts.   

Some Maître D's have no B####s Shorts & baseball hat is not acceptable, period. Unless it's the buffet.

2 hours ago, keithm said:

Once on board go see the Maître D. They can alter your dining arrangements. It might take the next night for it to happen, as you'll have LOTS of company. The buffet is where you'll likely have your embarkation lunch. After that, the buffet at night is mainly for those who won't dress up beyond shorts, or who just want a quick bite. As to options you'll have the MDR or 3 alternative main dining venues. Those cost about $50, but look for good discounts. Ambience/better food/more attention to detail are the attractions here. Designer jeans are pretty much what you stated. I never wear jeans at night. I prefer Khaki or slacks with button down shirt. As long as your husband's jeans don't have holes, he'll be fine. His choice if he wants to bring a sport coat for Chic nights. Check Youtube for Celebrity videos that show pax dining out. You'll get a good idea. Tuxes/suits are not necessary, but you'll see some. Most likely on 10 day or longer cruises.

Thanks for your post KeithM. It's appreciated! My husband's jeans do not have holes. He's 62 and just does not get the 'buying jeans with holes thing'!!!!

This hubby of mine, that I chased after when I was 13 had long hair when all the 'old folks' thought it was radical. And his bell bottoms and army jacket that he never took off, and his bedroom painted black  …….  And now he doesn't 'Get' the younger folks these days!!!   He cracks me up!!!!!!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, shealea said:

That is wonderful that you enjoy dressing up and your hubby will go along with it. I'll bet that you love seeing him all decked out in a tux!  Have you ever had a photo package setting done onboard while you both are dressed so special????

I like how the cruise lines are offering different choices for folks that cruise. Dressing up fancy like you and your husband d o just isn't our thing. I would not feel comfortable.  But I'm glad that you do. I always love to see the couples all dressed up and really admire them when I see them out and about!

Sandy

We haven't done a formal 'sitting' or anything like that (I'm honestly far too cheap to pay those prices), but we did purchase a couple of different photos from that cruise.  My favorite was the Venetian Masked ball with us dressed to the nines and both holding our Venetian masks.  Such great memories!

And I, too, am glad cruiselines offer more options.  We love dressing up, but it doesn't detract from our experience in any way for others not to.  I don't get why that bothers folks.  As long as people around me aren't "aromatic", I'm on a cruise!  What's not to enjoy?

On 5/9/2019 at 8:15 PM, cangelmd said:

Tip - go into the OVC and immediately head all the way aft out the back doors and claim an outside table. Enjoy the breeze and your favorite beverage, taking turns getting lunch. You can leave your sea card with your traveling companion(s) to order a drink if that is your preference. Tables are limited outside, so it is usually quieter. Many new folk don’t even realize outside is a choice that early in the cruise and when the cabins are available, the early lunch crew should start moving on.

This is assuming you are on one of the ships that has the outside seating, I missed which cruise you are on.

Have a wonderful trip.

Don't tell people this .. I want a place for me !!! We LOVE eating outside 

3 hours ago, keithm said:

Some Maître D's have no B####s Shorts & baseball hat is not acceptable, period. Unless it's the buffet.

Not the kind of thing I am going to worry or even think about too much.  Just doesn't bother me.  Obviously others feel differently.      

• Like 1

Thanks so much for this thread. My friend Mike is handicapped and requires a lot of medical equipment . Packing a sport coat would be impossible in the little space we have.

So we will each wear a black long sleeved knit shirt and a tie.   That won't take up much space.  I don't mind being dressed up a little bit more for the sake of Chic night.