Ovation Alaska - Who wants details?

Sailing to Alaska on Ovation May 24. I’m not the most descriptive writer but plan to photograph lots of details like menus and daily activity schedule. Anyone looking for specific details beyond those so that I can photograph and investigate? I know few on these boards have details about this ship and definitely about this cruise to Alaska. 

I will be in a grand suite with concierge access so I will have free Voom so I plan to post during the cruise.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I will be anxiously awaiting any information that you can share!  We are on the 6/21 sailing.  This is our first Alaska cruise and our first RCCL cruise.

I'm interested in restaurant menus (UDP), great coffee and cocktails (Deluxe Bev Pkg), cool spots to hang out, activities that will keep my kids busy.  I hope to also share our experience when our time comes!

I hope you have a great trip!

• Like 4

We are on the 14th June sailing. I would like to know for definite what the formal nights are. Also if there is gluten free pizza available in Sorrentos, and how wide a range of food there is in the gluten free section of the windjammer.

• Like 2

I'd like information on the good cocktails, best dining nights, cruise compasses with opening hours?

Also, when were you able to book on board activity? It seems really late for my sailing (july 5th) to not have anything to book besides Pixels.

Thanks!!

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, celoplyr said:

I'd like information on the good cocktails, best dining nights, cruise compasses with opening hours?

Also, when were you able to book on board activity? It seems really late for my sailing (july 5th) to not have anything to book besides Pixels.

Thanks!!

We are on the May 13 sailing and have only been able to to book Pixels and i-Fly.   That was quite awhile ago.   I understand that we will be able to book more once onboard with the app.

I will be on the July 5th sailing and am interested in the specialty restaurants as we will be there on our honeymoon. Another question, is if you do go to dinner in the MDR, are there tables for two? 

Thank you and I look forward to your post! 

I would love to follow your posts!  We are on the July 26 sailing.   Our first RCCL Cruise (2nd Cruise ever) and first time to Alaska. I’m curious about the solarium and if you need to book your time there.  Actually I’m curious about everything!  

Can't wait to read everything. I'm on the August 30th sailing. I'm curious to see pictures or scans of the cruise compass for day 1. I just got off another cruise last month and missed out on several activities because of day 1 sign ups or events that happened the first day while I was still getting familiar with the ship and feeling a bit overwhelmed! (Scavenger hunts, a show in the theatre I really wanted to see, etc.) I don't want to miss out this time, and day 1 is pretty overwhelming, especially on a new ship! Maybe if I can get a sneak peek I'll be better prepared.

• Like 2

I'm booked on the Ovation in 2020 - I've been patiently waiting for the 2019 season to begin so that I can follow along with reviews! If you manage, I'd love information on the shows, the quiet hang-out spots, and the best places to watch Alaska go by. Thanks!!

• Like 1

YES PLEASE!!!

We're right after you and have questions!

- Can Unlimited Dining Package be used at the Pub?

- Can Unlimited Dining Package be used at the Generic Johnny Rockets/former Fish n Chips/former Noodle Bar?

- Timing for Trapeze Classes?

- Are they running Northstar on the Glacier Cruising days/times?

- Tween/Teen Club schedule?

We'd appreciate any info you can find out! Thanks!

• Like 1

I would be interested in your observations about the Embark process (checking in) on that Friday 5/24.  It will be the first time that a ship that large sailed from Pier 91.    (We do have to remember that it will be the check-in staff's first day back working with RCL after 7-8 months!)

Also interested in North Star, and whether it is first come, first on; or can you book a time.  Does it go just up & down, or also side to side.  Is it operated most of the time, or just certain hours?

Thanks!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

We are on the May 13 sailing and have only been able to to book Pixels and i-Fly.   That was quite awhile ago.   I understand that we will be able to book more once onboard with the app.

How far ahead was iFly available?  We are August 30 also, and I check daily, but haven’t seen this yet.

• Like 1

I’m taking notes and will try my best to gather and report back! I do not have kids and won’t be traveling with any so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to provide any info in kids activities. In addition, I am planning to visit every specialty restaurant and probably will not visit the MDR. So aside from the menus,  I won’t be able to provide much on that either. As far as the rest, I’m on it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We're sailing in September, so I'm excited to hear all the reports from Alaska! Largely the same requests. Photos of menus and Cruise Compasses. Info on quiet spaces and prices on specialty coffee. 😀 Thanks! And have a great trip!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

I would be interested in your observations about the Embark process (checking in) on that Friday 5/24.  It will be the first time that a ship that large sailed from Pier 91.    (We do have to remember that it will be the check-in staff's first day back working with RCL after 7-8 months!)

Also interested in North Star, and whether it is first come, first on; or can you book a time.  Does it go just up & down, or also side to side.  Is it operated most of the time, or just certain hours?

Thanks!

We just did a cruise on the Mariner and instead of walking up to a check in desk they all had hand held tablets and they just walk up to you and you are done in seconds. We are Diamond with Royal and this is the first time we have experienced this kind of check -in. I hope they us this process for the Ovation.

7 hours ago, KimA75 said:

How far ahead was iFly available?  We are August 30 also, and I check daily, but haven’t seen this yet.

It was available quite awhile ago, but only for a short time. Then they took it down. But it is still on our calendar. 

8 hours ago, briehon said:

I’m taking notes and will try my best to gather and report back! I do not have kids and won’t be traveling with any so I’m not sure if I’ll be able to provide any info in kids activities. In addition, I am planning to visit every specialty restaurant and probably will not visit the MDR. So aside from the menus,  I won’t be able to provide much on that either. As far as the rest, I’m on it!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, briehon said:

I am planning to visit every specialty restaurant and probably will not visit the MDR. 

Goody. 😀  That was my main question. We got the UDP, so I want the details of the specialty restaurants. Including menus. 

Also...want to know if you can use the UDP at the Dockside Cafe. Or whatever used to be Kung Fu Panda Noodles. 

Thanks in advance. 

Just now, 66classic said:

Has anyone had experience with the Diamond Lounge on this ship?  Also, do we need to make reservations for the various shows? Does the ship have different areas such as Central Park on Oasis? 

The DL is unlikely to be as packed on Alaska sailings but they will open part of the Music Hall for overflow. 

Pixels is the only bookable show. 

No, Esplanade is the main area in the middle of the ship. 

Look forward to your pictures and take on this cruise. We are on the 6/21. For those asking on the on bookings. North Star just opened up for our cruise and I saw on another thread that a few others had it as well. Something to look into. Unfortunately we missed I-Fly! Hopefully on board we can get something. 

On 5/9/2019 at 9:48 AM, celoplyr said:

Thanks!!

We are also on the july 5th sailing.  If you havent been over to our roll call please join.  Also sign up for the meet n mingle.

I too would love to hear about it all.  We're doing the TP cruise in September and am excited beyond words.  My one question is are there any "theme nights"?  White party, Caribbean night; things like that so that I can pack appropriately.  Thanks for doing this, have fun and will be anxiously following along.