OVATION May 13-24 *LIVE* in ALASKA w/lots of photos

17 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Claudio, are you doing this just to poke me and make me feel sad?  😉  😄 

Miss you MM!! 

Btw, guess who's in Vancouver for dinner on Sunday night? Yep!

Laura & DH getting off a coastal sailing on Princess from LA and staying in Vancouver a few days :)

8 hours ago, KansCocoa said:

CLAUDIO!!!!!

I can’t wait - as Hubby and I will be sailing in 2020 to Alaska....We’ll be on the Radiance, as I’ve scored coveted cabin 9256 - the aft corner - but I am anxiously awaiting all of your port reviews, as well as the photos!!!

We MISS you!!!

Aaaaaaah.... my pal Sherri! Really cool you found this thread! That aft corner is going to be totally awesome for you. Please say hi to Mike for me :)

Thx for the kind words everyone!

Great to see fellow awesome reviewers like PCWalton and Singinalot on here too. Wish you guys were coming along as well. There's a few regulars from CC on this sailing so should be fun.

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Glad to be on board with you for this sailing.

With the weather looking good I plan to head out to the bridge to watch her arrival on Sunday. 

Speaking of great reviewers and a regular on CC, Twangster is one of the best, if not the best, photographer here on CC.

I've asked on the roll call whether he's doing a review and it was likely not... Twangster, please share photos on this thread if you wish, I don't mind at all. I'm sure they are going to be epic.

How epic you ask? Well, check out these links from his Radiance Alaska review... incredible!

Twangster, I'm at a dinner when Ovation is coming under the bridge on Sunday night. If you get some great photos, I'd love to see them on here 😀

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

Hoopster,

Will I be able to watch game 7 of the Warriors Rockets on Sunday? Staying at Pan Pacific.

in the US its 12:30 on ABC

Thanks

Alan

Hey Alan,

For sure you'll get the game up here.

GO RAPS!!!! 😁

• Like 2

Flashback to spring 2018.... I always follow the "Deployment Thread" over the years with regard to ship deployments, and sure enough leading up to spring, everyone knew Explorer would no longer be coming back to Alaska for 2019. The rumours had one of the Q Class ships coming over, but we didn't know which one until the official announcement. On day 2 of the itineraries being released, I booked this cruise. I immediately grabbed a deck 12 interior, thinking I'd be in great proximity to the CL. About 6 months later, a WOW sale came up that actually got me into an "Obstructed" balcony cabin for the same money PLUS a $100obc from RCL. No brainer, I went for it.

Many of you likely know that the deck 6 balcony very much obstructed by the life boats... there are a few of them with limited obstruction. The funny thing is when I was looking at cabins I can pick from, many of the deck 7 cabins were also in the same category. There's been some great info here on CC with regard to mapping out cabins with the least amount of obstructions to help all of us out. Simply use the search tool here on CC to find the various threads... here's a couple of those tools:

437285362_Deck5and6Chart1000.jpg.dd9aba5321d3a0b16e2cc7553d6ffc63.jpg

5abd3642-2747-44c3-9ad5-f2a75c21046b_zps32a9405d.jpg.7df52885c7248af1728163a949355ee9.jpg

After studying the charts, and zooming in on photos of the ship, I chose cabin 7606 above the life boats, and what seems to be right in the middle of a pair of support davits... hopefully the least amount of "obstruction". Truthfully, I think there is no obstruction. I'll be finding out in 3 days!

deck7-2018.thumb.gif.be70796e801cd403f6abe0c4bacea318.gif

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 3

Besides thinking about the cabin placement, ships out of Vancouver normally take the British Columbia inside passage which is totally gorgeous! The issue is I do know there's various restrictions such as speed, wakes, and I believe ship size through the area. I had always assumed that due to Ovation's size, she would head out past Victoria and into the open ocean of the Pacific to head up north (as do the ships out of Seattle). Now that thought is in question. Here's the map of this sailing as provided on line on various cruise websites

316114.jpg.21f7ed6938ab7328547cb0c90efc1e81.jpg

Notice the route out of Vancouver... this is simply an assumption imho. I'm doubting it's validity. For a clearer picture of where we're going, here's a better map... and a close up through a portion of the British Columbia inside passage

101478128_inside-passage-map(1).thumb.jpg.4546c15b16ce3398f1ddf9f0c3595844.jpg

1430406249_BCinsideupclose.jpg.9e3e359b811547aa99d82ba9a5664cad.jpg

Radiance, and other like sized ships from other companies (ie. HAL and Celeb Millenium ships) go through here from Vancouver, however I don't know whether the larger Princess ships (such as the Crown) and Celebrity S Class go through here. I am really hoping Ovation does as it will add massive value to the start of this cruise.

Just now, Hoopster95 said:

Truthfully, I think there is no obstruction. 

deck7-2018.thumb.gif.be70796e801cd403f6abe0c4bacea318.gif

It’s a bit subjective- nothing straight out (you are above even the highest point of the davits) but some looking down. 

• Like 1

Planning on what I'd be doing in port has been super fun. I always wish to try something new and see/do lots of things when in port... this sailing is no exception, especially since both Icy Strait & Sitka are brand new to me.

In Icy Strait, I'll be joining many others from our roll call for the Hoonah Whale Watch & Bear Hike

2081904737_Hoonah(IcyStrait)whaleWatching.jpg.567648dec1c462dded8891dbad0558ba.jpg

Sitka I'll be DIY, walking the town and checking out the various historical buildings and parks. There seems to be plenty to do and see here on your own including Sitka Historical Park, Totem Walk & Raptor center

Downtown Sitka Map.pdf

sitka-raptor_center.jpg.161680d15eedf4283a7ac6179114abb6.jpg

Juneau is going to be an absolute blast!!! First thing in the morning I'm booked independently on a Mendenhall Lake Glacier kayak excursion, in which we kayak right up to the face of the Glacier! Permit is required, thus it's very limited. There was room for me as a solo, and they're supposedly matching me up with the tour guide in a two person canoe. Weather permitting, supposedly they also beach the kayaks for a short walk on the Glacier itself. 

1663565067_MendenhallLakekayak.jpg.94fa83e8974411450378a45cf541cca4.jpg

In the afternoon I'm helicoptering up with "Coastal" Helicopters for an extended dual landing... one up at the Ididarod Dog Camp and another for a Glacier Ice hike. This day is going to be EPIC!! 

1918859237_JuneauHelidogextralanding.thumb.jpg.1cb0c9baad83c6139919bd71202a2a3b.jpg

As for Skagway, twice there I've done the Davidson Glacier kayak and the Yukon/Carcross independent bus tour... I've never done the White Pass Train, so this is the year! I'm doing the one-way up with the Yukon Suspension Bridge combo hike. Should be done this around noon.... in the afternoon I have all of Twangster's notes from his Radiance sailing and I'm hiking Dewey Lake trail as well as a full walk through town out to the cemetery.

1536791337_WhitePasstrain.jpg.6d96758506de88d781792ad95202425a.jpg

And as for the two sea days before disembarking?....    zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

It’s a bit subjective- nothing straight out (you are above even the highest point of the davits) but some looking down. 

Hey Biker! Great to hear from you. How's the weather out in the middle of the Pacific?!?!

For those who may not be aware, Biker is currently on Ovation at this very moment heading to Vancouver.

Weather here is awesome right through to Monday, so your sail-in on Sunday night should be fabulous.

Have a great end to your cruise 😁

Just now, Hoopster95 said:

Hey Biker! Great to hear from you. How's the weather out in the middle of the Pacific?

50F with a North breeze - cold enough for the Flowrider water to throw off steam but warm enough for it to be open. 

2 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

50F with a North breeze - cold enough for the Flowrider water to throw off steam but warm enough for it to be open. 

Ah... currently 75 here in Vancouver, just gorgeous. supposed to cool slightly by Sunday night to mid-upper 60's.

Hopefully you get some of this warmer sun as you head this way

Hey Biker... yep I believe I saw these? There's several deck 7 cabin photos around on various threads. I have some on my Q review as well from the cabin crawl. I would not touch deck 6 with a 10 foot pole... however from an interior to this plus $100 obc is a no brainer. Thx for posting these!

53 minutes ago, PhilNDebbieAtSea said:

Yeah, Claudio!! So happy to see this! Just wow! This sounds like such an amazing trip on an awesome ship class! Thank you so much for taking us along! Have a great time! 

Hey Debbie! How are you guys? great to hear from you!! Enjoy 😁

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Twangster, I'm at a dinner when Ovation is coming under the bridge on Sunday night. If you get some great photos, I'd love to see them on here 😀

Sounds good.  

Trying to decide the best spot to capture it from.  Any suggestions?

Can't wait for your review. We are on the June 21st cruise and it will be most of us a first time on RCL. Just drove our trailer back up from AZ to hang out in WA a bit. Love seeing the pictures of Vancouver as well. You are truly correct that cruisers should spend a few days there. Gorgeous city!!!

13 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

316114.jpg.21f7ed6938ab7328547cb0c90efc1e81.jpg

Notice the route out of Vancouver... this is simply an assumption imho. I'm doubting it's validity. For a clearer picture of where we're going, here's a better map... and a close up through a portion of the British Columbia inside passage.

This itinerary rocks. Two glaciers and the Inside Passage.  I don’t think it could get any better. Well... if I was there it would be better for me.  🙂

On 5/9/2019 at 8:57 PM, Hoopster95 said:

I'll have VOOM on this cruise, so we'll see the O3b satellite network works for Alaska, especially for all the negative internet reviews on radiance the last few years.

I have a few more posts to add before cruise day on Monday. This is going to be an AWESOME cruise! 😁

Actually, if O3b worked that would make it better. Internet was rough on my Radiance cruise last summer, sailing southbound and we had a ship router in our cabin. Internet and TV channels disappeared in the tight Alaskan canyons but I did pick up cellular in the ship from the local towns we sailed past.

I’m looking forward to you live review.  You are right, it is going to be awesome!

Edited by A&L_Ont

I'm so excited to follow along! I'm booked on Ovation in June 2020. My parents have a Jr. Suite booked on deck 6 and I'm in the balcony right next door to them - neither are classified as "obstructed view" - but now I'm worried that they are! We're booked in 6244 and 6242. If you happen to notice, could you let me know about the views from this area of rooms? Thanks!

She's arrived in Victoria!

Webcam:

http://www.bigwavedave.ca/webcams.php?cam=10

252495133_OVinVic.thumb.jpeg.f923e769a45cf3b389494da6ccbc8701.jpeg

One more day...

This is an important port for Ovation since it keeps the normal Alaska cruises from Seattle legal.  The port was trying to expand a pier for her but the custom ordered steel was lost off a cargo ship coming over from China so they had to switch to plan B and use the pier pictured above.  

Edited by twangster

13 minutes ago, twangster said:

She's arrived in Victoria!

One more day...

You just beat me to it Twang 😁... was going to post this link as well.

https://www.timescolonist.com/business/lost-steel-forces-ogden-point-to-use-original-plan-for-ship-dock-1.23624728

The first port ever in North america for Ovation,,, I believe this is the exact same pier that was due for the expansion anyways, I assume the ship perhaps has to embark/disembark from just front of the ship rather than having 2 options this morning. She's docked at pier A.

7613155_web1_170712-BPD-M-VNE-OgdenPointPlan.thumb.jpg.211824fd4cc8047b0bcc6a9d6c70f6ae.jpg

• Like 2