OVATION May 13-24 *LIVE* in ALASKA w/lots of photos

12 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Seems a bit over the top of all this talk of bridge clearance and “biggest “ ever to be in Vancouver even though NCL Bliss is almost exactly the same size and has more cabins. 

Agreed. I thought it was a big deal but seems not to be.

11 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

D+ Seapass card may open the doors to get up there. 🤫

Also agreed 😉

3B1BEAF6-C81E-430C-874E-900D222A5ADE.jpeg

EC2B6035-B90C-458A-BED9-6BC3E37FF3F9.jpeg

68A649FF-2EC8-4A73-ADEB-86B485DAFB7D.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, Cyn874 said:

At some point, if one of you can post some  pictures from around the Solarium, I'd love to see those. 🙂 I think I'll be spending almost all of my time there.

Note the views out the windows, all directions from every vantage point.

I’ll hope to get some shots when we’re in the inside passage or at one of the glaciers 

67BD248C-6F84-4689-AD03-B3F0F0817967.jpeg

92265377-E299-4166-A228-8BB5B18FDCF4.jpeg

76F821C2-982F-4E9C-AB8B-9AD45648B791.jpeg

92957C4C-A531-4FDD-A48C-E879AC8FD82E.jpeg

762BC3E4-3483-4E84-9551-4FDCDFD38D26.jpeg

B086B403-AB9F-4B2A-B36D-06B8E4FE61F3.jpeg

9F5E9533-DA3E-4C7B-99B8-40DCDB6D4BE8.jpeg

97158995-9E95-47F8-ACB7-1C0D897EE3DD.jpeg

A5AB719E-9728-4DD5-9160-B449151BE190.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 4

For those of you who haven’t heard, the Royal Princess left a Vancouver on Saturday for Ketchikan.

Today, two float planes, both with cruise excursions, collided mid-air. 5 dead, 10 injured.

For all those stupid threads on the main CC forum about poorly maintained excursions in third world Caribbean ports, obviously a tragic event can also happen in the 1st world countries as well.  May they Rest In Peace. 

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 9

Thanks so much! It's so beautiful, I can't wait. The only thing that baffles me about the Solarium though- in all the pictures I've seen, I almost never see anyone in any of the pools. Now and then I might see one or two people in a hot tub, but NEVER in the tiered pools. I can't figure out why that is.

Just now, Cyn874 said:

...but NEVER in the tiered pools. I can't figure out why that is.

Me neither. It’s a great spot! Im

sure I’ll be in there at some point on this sailing. Those hot tubs are awesome with the greatest view ever, best hot tub location in the fleet on any ship imo

• Like 2

Thanks for the pictures Hoopster... I think they will put to rest the question of whether the Q class can clear that other bridge at little south of Vancouver😀!  The Bridge of Americas has just a wee bit more clearance and a little bigger tidal variation,  The real question is when or if they will send one of those ships through the Canal. 

Have a great trip and look forward to seeing a bunch of pics!

6 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

For those of you who haven’t heard, the Royal Princess left a Vancouver on Saturday for Ketchikan.

Today, two float planes, both with cruise excursions, collided mid-air. 5 dead, 10 injured.

For all those stupid threads on the main CC forum about poorly maintained excursions in third world Caribbean ports, obviously a tragic event can also happen in the 1st world countries as well.  May they Rest In Peace. 

What a horrible tragedy. I did hear about it. Does anyone know if it was an official Princess excursion?

1 hour ago, LadyBeBop said:

What a horrible tragedy. I did hear about it. Does anyone know if it was an official Princess excursion?

According to reports the larger plane was a ship excursion and the smaller plane was an independent excursion.  So tragic.

• Thanks 1

First of all, thanks to you, Twangster, and all of you giving us this great review and pictures.  I have a question.  We are in 12652, the first cabin off the hump and side hump.  Your picture shows a large slanted pole which will end on our balcony.  I don't think it looks like it would take up much room or impact views, but your opinion?

Pat

19 hours ago, Hoopster95 said:

Great room!

34B53FD0-B5D8-4E30-9349-47777CA9D09D.jpeg

I really like how they have the bed off set into the wall.  Seems to give the room a little extra room (or at 

least it looks like it).

9 hours ago, BillB48 said:

Thanks for the pictures Hoopster... I think they will put to rest the question of whether the Q class can clear that other bridge at little south of Vancouver😀!  The Bridge of Americas has just a wee bit more clearance and a little bigger tidal variation,  The real question is when or if they will send one of those ships through the Canal. 

Hey BillB48! Great to see you following this thread. Yep, as Biker said super interesting to see how easy it was to get under the Lions Gate after all. 

Btw everyone, BillB48 has as much technical info as ChengP on the Canal threads I was involved in trying to learn about RCl ships and the Panama Canal. You should See some of the photos and stories he told on those threads! Thx again Bill for all your info and help on those threads 😊👏🏻

Edited by Hoopster95

3 hours ago, vistapat said:

, but your opinion?

Pat

Hi Pat, I’m hoping Biker or other Anthem/Ovation expert can help you.

Truthfully, VOOM has been disappointing so far. Cutting off and big delays at times last night and this morning. I’ve had to log

out of my iPhone and onto my iPad to get files for a client, and VOOM locked me out for a while.

so Biker or ??, can someone help

Pat here?

6 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Truthfully, VOOM has been disappointing so far. Cutting off and big delays at times last night and this morning. I’ve had to log

out of my iPhone and onto my iPad to get files for a client, and VOOM locked me out for a while.

Pat here?

I can't say I'm surprised. The fact is that even wireless phones struggle for solid and consistent connectivity in many parts of the Alaska region, so on board satellite internet service like Voom could certainly be equally challenged.

It also varies significantly depending on where exactly is located around the various locations in Alaska, as well as the time of year and surround weather. We had very solid Internet and phone service in Juneau...not so much in Ketchikan.

Agree Voom has been garbage. 3 mbit at best. Doesn't work on my balcony and several disconnects or no service randomly throughout the ship. I think it's limited bandwidth due to the latitude of this sailing vs Caribbean.

I showed my key badge at Northstar and was put at the back of stand by... fortunately I got in bc there wasnt much of a line.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thanks for all of these updates so far! I'm anxious to see pics from the balcony once you're out at sea -- we will be in 7208 (obstructed).  Hoping the obstruction is just looking straight down...that's how it seems from previous pics.

Also, is solarium 16 and up?

I am so grateful for all of this info and pictures in advance! thank you!

25 minutes ago, Hoopster95 said:

Pat here?

Agreed.  For a while some websites struggled but others worked fine.  I could browse Amazon like a rock star but any news sites from any of the big US news outlets were a bust, flat out refusing to load.  

I able to get a VPN connection to an east coast concentrator I use and only then could I load all sites so I suspect something else was in play with Speedcast/O3b.   A western VPN concentrator would not connect.  Both are usually pretty reliable from ships so I suspect there was a larger issue with their upstream provider at the terrestrial gateway.  VoIP calls worked fine for me though using T-Mobile's wifi calling even when certain websites including FB would not connect.

The overcast conditions and periodic rain are not helping our cause.  We are on the edge of O3b coverage which may work better on a sunny day but with any clouds or moisture in the air we are suffering living on the edge.  

21 minutes ago, cottonballs99 said:

Thanks for all of these updates so far! I'm anxious to see pics from the balcony once you're out at sea -- we will be in 7208 (obstructed).  Hoping the obstruction is just looking straight down...that's how it seems from previous pics.

Also, is solarium 16 and up?

I am so grateful for all of this info and pictures in advance! thank you!

27A03C88-59D7-4760-B7E7-2121671DBD49.jpeg

55AADB31-B5F1-4C61-A8BB-95B1362EE6B5.jpeg

E65B314B-C44C-4002-9E9E-D5789FA10FB4.jpeg

193C95B0-943A-4310-9CA9-3AC961016077.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95

20 hours ago, drusierdmd said:

What a joke. Chops was full with no option for lunch by 1pm. Jamie's was given as an option or chops tomorrow for lunch. f90d8b3a61ad3c5c9cc87edc1e1ead0d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

What time did you get on the ship and time you headed for Chops?

Crowding has been worse than what I remember from my Quantum sailing. There’s lots of people everywhere! ... and I

mean everywhere... unlike Oasis Class where it seems the distribution is better around the ship.

The gym this morning was full. Barely any machine, cardio or weight training, was available. The TRX Class was full.

I decided to try Cafe Two70 for

lunch and enjoy the view... this is what I found

26009E4A-2356-4F7E-942B-B5EF1DABD092.jpeg

A 15-20min line

10CD97F9-E944-45ED-853F-5DD95B975115.jpeg

However one of the best places for lunch... fresh paninis, fresh salads, soups, etc

896DEF46-50C8-422D-8401-C4D50858DEBE.jpeg

95A73250-088A-4032-9313-218168C1908C.jpeg

There’s mine... pesto pasta, greens been salad overtop cucumber, tomato, lettuce and side tuna wrap

EEE89FAB-2ED2-4A22-80FD-D9BA55BE9F73.jpeg

And here’s my view within Two70 where I sat down for lunch. Just a great place to hang out... as a few hundred of

my fellow cruisers already know

763F0DB8-7F5C-4D28-A08E-AD20A0D405A3.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 3

I noticed the D+ letter in my cabin did not mention the beverage package discount.  I stopped by the LA's desk for other business and asked about it.  I don't plan to buy the package but I was curios.  He has been on the ship for two months and also noticed it previously but never followed up on it.  I was the first guest to ask about it.  

He ran my account and couldn't find the discount listed.  He made several calls and ended up talking to someone at food and beverages.  They said they would honor it.  

If anyone tries to use the D+ 30% beverage package discount and gets push back just escalate it.

Edited by twangster

I watched “pixels” last night here in Two70... here’s what this venue looks like at night for a show.

I’m a show guy... love the various Broadway shows, Columbus on HOTS, aquashows, shows on Quantum we’re fantastic! Pixels?? Meh ☹️

8AA2E64B-D225-4680-944B-DB5888B803DD.jpeg

D792946D-BE0B-4939-AFC3-DB2242B220E7.jpeg

D998D342-FB9B-4536-A32B-6247CE75C070.jpeg

F723F4A7-86C8-4B6E-88FE-C8517239668E.jpeg

D89A20F7-ECF3-4F35-ACEB-D8720B0B2B9D.jpeg

Edited by Hoopster95
  • Like 2