Alaska cruise

Hi everyone, I will be going on my first Alaskan and the one thing that I have no idea about is what type of clothes to pack. All my pass cruise were is warm weather. Can anyone help me with this. I appreciate and info

Thanks

cruising abuela 

7 minutes ago, crusingabuela41 said:

Hi everyone, I will be going on my first Alaskan and the one thing that I have no idea about is what type of clothes to pack. All my pass cruise were is warm weather. Can anyone help me with this. I appreciate and info

Thanks

cruising abuela 

The weather in Alaska is quite variable.  As in, "if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes".  It's best to wear layers, so that you can take away/add to as necessary.

Have you checked out our Alaska forum?  Lots of good information there:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/33-alaska/

I have almost kicked myself for not taking shorts to Alaska, it was that warm. I have also not packed enough water-repellent items. Alaska weather can be iffy. You did not state when the proposed cruise is to occur. Do a search of the cities where you will visit for their weather stats during the time you will be there. That should give you a clue; however, as stated above, it changes a lot.

After you check out the Alaska forum, be sure to get onto your roll call and ask questions there.

Jim

We always take one pair of Bermudas with us.  There have been a few times when we needed them.

But for the most time -- dress in layers.  We take gortex jackets that have zippered linings.  We also take water proof shoes, hat, gloves and small portable umbrellas.

Single word LAYERS.  Alaska weather comes in all shapes and sizes.  I have kayaked in the rain in Ketchikan and have hiked in 75 degree weather there.  You have to be prepared for all types but be able to change on the fly

On 5/10/2019 at 1:00 PM, crusingabuela41 said:

Thanks

cruising abuela 

You didn't mention which month you are heading to Alaska, as the temps vary considerably. Having completed 2 full seasons + multiple R/T cruises as a pax, I have experienced everything from 50 to 95 degrees. While 90's are very rare, I have routinely experienced 70's & 80's F.

Also dress for wind and rain.

On 5/10/2019 at 3:00 PM, crusingabuela41 said:

Thanks

cruising abuela 

My Alaska must haves; goretex jacket with hood, rain pants, lightweight goretex hiking boots, a fleece vest, and light layers.  Just like in MA/MN in the fall, layers are a must because the weather can change quickly.  The coldest I'd plan for is a wet brisk fall day at home.  I'd also suggest a good set of binoculars.  

Bring a day-pack so you can carry the items you may shed or extra gear(eg rain poncho) in case weather changes. Gloves!  I just wear regular ASICS sneakers but do have a dry pair left in the cabin in case I get soggy on an excursion.  Personal choice, but don’t like umbrellas because you get bopped by them on crowded sidewalks, they can block someone’s view or even worse, impede store access while someone is fiddling with opening/closing it 😱.

You’ll also find lots of shops in port with hoodies, rain jackets, tees etc just in case you need something else.

Have a great cruise - Alaska is wonderful!

Heidi13 I am going the very end of August 2020 for a week into early September. The advice to dress in layers is what I am going to tell my friends. I am so excited to visit Alaska because I have hear how beautiful it is. Thanks for everyone's input

• Like 1