Grand princess Inside Tips.

josephml1

Hi

Please let me know your inside tips for the Grand  Princess

Please share your favorite: spot, food, restaurant, inside tips, bar, favorite place, pool, secret place, etc

also tips traveling with children 

All tips are welcome.

• Like 1

Well, I'm not sure this is a secret but I'll say again that the recent dry dock significantly upgraded the offerings at Slice pizzeria and at the Trident Grill which became Salty Dog with it's enhanced offerings.  Both were great.

A 'don't miss' on Grand is undoubtedly Alfredo's.  Was never busy when we were on board we had a couple of very pleasant lunches / dinners here when the MDR was closed or just didn't appeal.  One small tip, the menu on Grand is strictly pizza's so perhaps stop by the IC across from Alfredo's for a bit of soup or salad to begin your meal - no problem bringing either into Alfredo's.

My favorite little semi secret spot is aft of the One5 lounge.  It's outside but protected from weather.

6 hours ago, jondfk said:

Well, I'm not sure this is a secret but I'll say again that the recent dry dock significantly upgraded the offerings at Slice pizzeria and at the Trident Grill which became Salty Dog with it's enhanced offerings.  Both were great.

A 'don't miss' on Grand is undoubtedly Alfredo's.  Was never busy when we were on board we had a couple of very pleasant lunches / dinners here when the MDR was closed or just didn't appeal.  One small tip, the menu on Grand is strictly pizza's so perhaps stop by the IC across from Alfredo's for a bit of soup or salad to begin your meal - no problem bringing either into Alfredo's.

My favorite little semi secret spot is aft of the One5 lounge.  It's outside but protected from weather.

Is One5 this ships adult dance club type area?  On Emerald there was Club Fusion that was aft. We would go up at night to get away from the kids doing karaoke (seriously, 10 year olds at 10pm ugh) and chill. lol 

49 minutes ago, Katwoman007 said:

Is One5 this ships adult dance club type area?  On Emerald there was Club Fusion that was aft. We would go up at night to get away from the kids doing karaoke (seriously, 10 year olds at 10pm ugh) and chill. lol 

Skywalkers is the adult dance club area on the Emerald.

On the Grand, One5 was added to replace Skywalkers when Skywalkers was removed from that ship.

12 hours ago, Katwoman007 said:

Yes, One5 will typically be the dance area on Grand later in the evening.  Deck 15 aft.  Still, the outdoor space behind it gets little use for the most part and is a nice secluded space most of the day.  Furniture is (a bit worn to be fair) of the sort you'd find on any patio back home.  Rattan couches with thick cushions for lounging.  There's no similar space on other Grand class ships and as such it's my theory that many folks never find their way up / back here.  The Al Fresco bar is one deck down behind Horizon Court for times the One5 isn't serving.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jondfk said:

Yes, One5 will typically be the dance area on Grand later in the evening.  Deck 15 aft.  Still, the outdoor space behind it gets little use for the most part and is a nice secluded space most of the day.  Furniture is (a bit worn to be fair) of the sort you'd find on any patio back home.  Rattan couches with thick cushions for lounging.  There's no similar space on other Grand class ships and as such it's my theory that many folks never find their way up / back here.  The Al Fresco bar is one deck down behind Horizon Court for times the One5 isn't serving.  

Thanks for the info! We liked Skywalkers to find some peace... haha Decent music and people watching. It was fun to kill some late night relaxing. I don't mind karaoke at whichever bar that is, but I like to hear adults not kids, singing Let It go a million times. hahaha Our room is completely Aft, so it is an easy trek up. 

Most comfortable chairs on the ship are found in the back wall of the Library.  If you like community puzzle they are found in the conservatory above Calypso Cove.  Sheltered ping pong also there.  One of our favorite ships because of covered pool area and wrap-around Promenade.

Edited by CAZephyr

29 minutes ago, CAZephyr said:

Most comfortable chairs on the ship are found in the back wall of the Library.  If you like community puzzle they are found in the conservatory above Calypso Cove.  Sheltered ping pong also there.  One of our favorite ships because of covered pool area and wrap-around Promenade.

Can you elaborate on what the “community puzzles” are? Are these jigsaw puzzles?

Yes, jigsaw puzzles.  Many princess ships try to have a designated jigsaw puzzle area where passengers can gather to work puzzles.  The areas can be difficult to find on many ships as indoor space becomes crowded.  Crew members rarely know the spot.  Regal Princess crew briefly set up a table up in the Atrium on deck 5 next to the gelato stand on our only transatlantic on that ship.  I've seen them set up in the library.  DW enjoys working puzzles with fellow passengers to pass time, particularly when faced with many continuous sea-days.  She works a puzzle on and off.  Meaning, she stays for an hour, takes a break, and returns. 

BTW, daily suduko, and other paper games, can be found on a table in front of the library.  

The rough seas around SF make some serious waves (2 to 3 feet) in the indoor pool.  The kids love having the waves drag them from one side of the pool to the other, but the walls of the pool are rough.  My sons had scrapes all over their chest and stomach but didn't want to stop.  Swim shirts are a really good idea if your kids are going to want to play in the waves.

Spicy food is hard to find on the ship.  Bring hot sauce if you will be wanting it.

• Like 1

On 5/25/2019 at 6:51 PM, CAZephyr said:

Yes, jigsaw puzzles.  Many princess ships try to have a designated jigsaw puzzle area where passengers can gather to work puzzles.  The areas can be difficult to find on many ships as indoor space becomes crowded.  Crew members rarely know the spot.  Regal Princess crew briefly set up a table up in the Atrium on deck 5 next to the gelato stand on our only transatlantic on that ship.  I've seen them set up in the library.  DW enjoys working puzzles with fellow passengers to pass time, particularly when faced with many continuous sea-days.  She works a puzzle on and off.  Meaning, she stays for an hour, takes a break, and returns. 

BTW, daily suduko, and other paper games, can be found on a table in front of the library.  

I was just on Grand a week ago and missed the puzzles in the conservatory.  I like reading in the conservatory but it was so cold in there this time that I didn't spend as much time there. We spent about an hour one night on a puzzle in the library that someone else had clearly spent a good chunk of time working.  The next day, it was put away and the table was being used for Mahjong.  This happened pretty much every day.   I was wishing there was a dedicated puzzle area.  

2 hours ago, aimee0715 said:

I was just on Grand a week ago and missed the puzzles in the conservatory.  I like reading in the conservatory but it was so cold in there this time that I didn't spend as much time there. We spent about an hour one night on a puzzle in the library that someone else had clearly spent a good chunk of time working.  The next day, it was put away and the table was being used for Mahjong.  This happened pretty much every day.   I was wishing there was a dedicated puzzle area.  

There is a spot just above the Princess Cruises signage behind No Jumping or Diving sign (designated Deck 15).  I've always seen puzzles there.  There were six boxes of puzzles there during April Hawaii cruise.  Unsure if this is a current picture....but the area is pretty much dedicated to puzzlement (if that's a thing).  Ping pong tables are way back in the corners.  The area tends to stay mild as long as the outside doors are closed.Related image

• Like 1

If you are going on the Grand, I suggest you book very early and book one of their few Window Suites.  Suite accomodations with all the amenities at the price of a minisuite.  All you give up is the balcony which is never used that much by most people.  Great location too.

Pooh

On 5/25/2019 at 9:40 AM, CAZephyr said:

Did you note chess playing going on anywhere on the vessel?  I was told chess playing boards are in the library.  Is it only one ping pong table you saw?  I saw a photo snap on an old Grand Princess showing a large chess walk around chess on the sport deck.  Is there one?

There are all kinds of games in the library including chess boards, as well as the walk around board on the upper sport deck.  There are two ping ping tables as well as an old arcade basketball toss above the Calypso Pool.  The door to the indoor golf was currently closed for renovation.

8 hours ago, 2old4this said:

Did you note chess playing going on anywhere on the vessel?  I was told chess playing boards are in the library.  Is it only one ping pong table you saw?  I saw a photo snap on an old Grand Princess showing a large chess walk around chess on the sport deck.  Is there one?

I witnessed a Chess match in the Library last cruise, as well as, Monopoly and Cribbage games.  Check out deck 15 or 16 aft for large outdoor checker board.  Seems like it was just outside the chapel, but I could be wrong.  The checkerboard could have been on Crown Princess.  There are two ping pong tables on Deck 15 above calypso cove (and stray ping pong balls, here and there, on Deck 14 below).

Edited by CAZephyr

• 1 month later...

The big Chess Board is on deck 16 aft. and there's two hot tubs there to.

The Chapel is on deck 15

The Library has games and books..honor system open 24 hrs

Got off the Grand June 5th didn't see any puzzles  by the ping pong tables

They open the Crown Grill or the dining room at certain times so you can play card  games,

dice whatever. Usually they have some games and cards in there to use.

One5 is a nice place to sit and read and look out to the sea but I like the lounges

out side, one for smoking and the other non smoking.  It's three sides and open in front

for fresh air. Nice place to sit and read relax when you don't want to be in the sun but

want air.

Splash pool on deck 16  if just want to get feet weight and not swim.

Alfredo's is the Best.  IC is good too.

Salty Dog (grill) and Slice (pizza) has new food items added to them.

I like the Crown. Don't like Sabatini's since they changed the menu.

The "kids" programs seem good. Have three different rooms for the different ages.

Very friendly staff/crew all the times I've been on the Grand which is many times.

Edited by Belle

Re: the puzzles.  Just of the Grand on 6/25.  No puzzles at all in the area above the pool, cabinet was empty.  There were a few 500 piece puzzles in the library (pieces were very small);  worked on a few, both had missing pieces.  At one time one was just started and pieces sorted, when I looked about an hour later someone has swept all the pieces back into the box so they could use the table for cards.