Aqua class a good choice for us? (Blu question)

StartrainDD

We are looking at a summer cruise on Equinox.  Pricing on Aqua is not very different from Verandah.  My wife has an extensive list of special dietary needs, "Gluten Free" in general but with a list of added foods to be avoided.  We typically do "Fixed dining" so the DR Mgr and our wait staff know her special requirements, and they usually do a GREAT job in taking care of her.

"Fresh, Clean, crisp flavors" sound like what she would enjoy.

Knowing this, Would Blu be a good choice for us?

Thank you for your feedback!

2 minutes ago, StartrainDD said:

We are looking at a summer cruise on Equinox.  Pricing on Aqua is not very different from Verandah.  My wife has an extensive list of special dietary needs, "Gluten Free" in general but with a list of added foods to be avoided.  We typically do "Fixed dining" so the DR Mgr and our wait staff know her special requirements, and they usually do a GREAT job in taking care of her.

"Fresh, Clean, crisp flavors" sound like what she would enjoy.

Knowing this, Would Blu be a good choice for us?

Thank you for your feedback!

Yes, they will discuss with you the options and do everything to make you happy.

Go for Aqua.  Blue is very accommodating and definitely a step up from MDR.  Plus, you can go for dinner at anytime without reservations.  Makes life onboard a little more pleasant.

Thank you all for your prompt responses!  Still good cabins available (under spa treatment rooms) and the wide roof over the balcony for us is a plus as we need the shade.  From what I read I thought BLU would be a good option and thanks for confirming!

I was nervous about these AQ overhang balconies at first.  I like to be sandwiched between layers of cabins, not under public areas....  And I was afraid the overhang would blot out the sky and make the cabin very dark.  Absolutely loved the cabin!!  No noise issues at all (and I'm a very light sleeper and sleep a lot!) and the balcony was wonderful.

3 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

Thank you all for your prompt responses!  Still good cabins available (under spa treatment rooms) and the wide roof over the balcony for us is a plus as we need the shade.  From what I read I thought BLU would be a good option and thanks for confirming!

I also need the shade and they are great. If you plan to read bring a light.

Once you go Blu, you never go back! Have cruised almost exclusively Aqua since 1st time doing it in 2013.  Last year, we booked last minute on Equinox and Aqua/suites were sold old.  We ate in the specialty dining rooms every night b/c we could not bring ourselves to go back to the MDR.

I think we are not alone in this--- newer Edge class ships offer rotating dining room options.

enjoy your cruise!

They handle dietary requirements very well in Blu.  Things are more cooked to order.  They will try to assign you to the same wait staff every night which helps.  It's also good to meet with them before dinner service and explain your requirements.  We always ask what time would be best to avoid putting undue stress on them.  They usually suggest later.  We try to be flexible and offer to wait if "our" waiter is busy when we arrive.

They will take very good care of you in Blu.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

The rooms under the thermal spa are quiet, but they are not under the giant overhang,  duecto being bumped out. We’ve previously stayed in 1501 and 1521, no noise, but the balconies have the usual overhang that one has on any cruise ship, but that area wasn’t shady enough for us at certain times of the day.  

Last cruise we tried 1559, one of the cabins with the huge overhang, and it was under the indoor pool area with fixed loungers, and it was generally pretty quiet except  for the night that an event was held up there, but it was only noisy for a couple hours.  We’ve booked the same cabin again for our next cruise. 

What we loved the most  about the aforementioned cabin is that it never got sunny on our balcony, and because we were in the tropics during one of the hottest times of the year, it offered us the relief that we so desperately needed.  

Our friends stayed in 1557 and 1561 and had no issues with noise, either.  

Many people caution against the cabins beneath the aqua spa CAFE, where there’s been several reports of nonstop noise.  

Edited by 4cats4me

13 hours ago, jameybano said:

Once you go Blu, you never go back! Have cruised almost exclusively Aqua since 1st time doing it in 2013.  Last year, we booked last minute on Equinox and Aqua/suites were sold old.  We ate in the specialty dining rooms every night b/c we could not bring ourselves to go back to the MDR.

I think we are not alone in this--- newer Edge class ships offer rotating dining room options.

enjoy your cruise!

Thank you!  That is one thing I am a little 'afraid of!'

We just disembarked a week ago from the HAL Prinsendam (which has been our favorite ship, but she is leaving the fleet) and noticed a decline in the MDR food quality. Service was outstanding but some days the selections were just not worth the time.

12 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

They handle dietary requirements very well in Blu.  Things are more cooked to order.  They will try to assign you to the same wait staff every night which helps.  It's also good to meet with them before dinner service and explain your requirements.  We always ask what time would be best to avoid putting undue stress on them.  They usually suggest later.  We try to be flexible and offer to wait if "our" waiter is busy when we arrive.

They will take very good care of you in Blu.

Thank you!  I suspect my wife is going to LOVE this.  We will meet with the staff as early as we can after we board.

9 hours ago, 4cats4me said:

The rooms under the thermal spa are quiet, but they are not under the giant overhang,  duecto being bumped out. We’ve previously stayed in 1501 and 1521, no noise, but the balconies have the usual overhang that one has on any cruise ship, but that area wasn’t shady enough for us at certain times of the day.  

Last cruise we tried 1559, one of the cabins with the huge overhang, and it was under the indoor pool area with fixed loungers, and it was generally pretty quiet except  for the night that an event was held up there, but it was only noisy for a couple hours.  We’ve booked the same cabin again for our next cruise. 

What we loved the most  about the aforementioned cabin is that it never got sunny on our balcony, and because we were in the tropics during one of the hottest times of the year, it offered us the relief that we so desperately needed.  

Our friends stayed in 1557 and 1561 and had no issues with noise, either.  

Many people caution against the cabins beneath the aqua spa CAFE, where there’s been several reports of nonstop noise.  

Thank you all for your responses.  We are booked in 1560 (opposite from 1557/1559).  I think my wife is going to love being so close to the solarium, spa, café, and sky lounge.

• Like 1

We stayed in 1602 last year and have booked the same cabin for both cruises this year. Overhang didn't worry us in the slightest. Blu is our big draw... From a culinary and a service perspective I found it great (though haven't eaten in the MDR) All other 'perks' I could honestly do without... I guess I would consider a standard balcony but then pay for speciality dining every evening... initial searches seem to show some cruises make it a less expensive option but then cabin location is perhaps a little less desirable.

I hadn't mentioned this before as this thread specifically mentioned Blu in the title, but for us there are a couple more reasons to choose AQ over a regular balcony.  Our first cruise in AQ (we are Elite Plus) was chosen solely because it was a last minute booking and Select Dining was full.  Fixed seating doesn't work for us.  So I chose AQ.  Our next cruise after that was a B2B of two 7 night cruises on Equinox in a regular balcony.  On both legs we were unfortunate enough to have a screaming toddler in the cabin next to us.  Screaming morning, at lunch time, I presume naptime, etc.  You could hear the noise in our cabin and on our balcony.  I realized we'd been fortunate to only occasionally have this happen as we normally take longer cruises thus fewer toddlers.  So another draw of AQ is that the cabins are only double occupancy so you will be less likely to be next to a (perfectly understandable) possible screaming child.

• Like 2

Blu is much more able to accommodate special requests than the MDR since it's a much smaller venue. I enjoy the Meusli for breakfast, and due to a problem with lactose I was always hesitate to order it. I mentioned it one day and they told me to preoder it the night before and they'd prepare a lactose free version for me and I've enjoyed it every day on board since. Mention any of your wife's dietary restrictions to the Blu maître d and request the same wait staff (and mention it to them also). Beware however, you may not want to go back!

2 hours ago, StartrainDD said:

Thank you!  That is one thing I am a little 'afraid of!'

We just disembarked a week ago from the HAL Prinsendam (which has been our favorite ship, but she is leaving the fleet) and noticed a decline in the MDR food quality. Service was outstanding but some days the selections were just not worth the time.

Thank you!  I suspect my wife is going to LOVE this.  We will meet with the staff as early as we can after we board.

Thank you all for your responses.  We are booked in 1560 (opposite from 1557/1559).  I think my wife is going to love being so close to the solarium, spa, café, and sky lounge.

You’ve made a good choice!