Royal Princess Passengers Involved in Plane Crash

idahospud

25 minutes ago, ano said:

Your lucky. More were killed in 2015.  9 Killed When Plane Carrying Cruise Passengers Crashes in Alaska

Its surprising how many crashes in Ketchikan there have been. Just one last year, but nobody killed luckily.

DH said he now really appreciates our pilot who during the off season flies for Delta (so a full time professional pilot).  DH sat up front and noticed that the pilot was watching his surroundings at all times.  

I am in shock with two planes from the same company crashing. I was on the Royal ship on April 13th. The Royal has wifi in all of their cabins. Most passengers chose to insert their Medallion wifi into their cell phones or computers. I paid to have wifi installed into my computer where I could stay in touch with facebook relatives and friends. I think when the passengers arrive in Juneau they will be able to receive calls on their cell phones. Juneau is an American port so Americans will be able to contact the cruisers. The ROYAL is the only ship that is cruising from Vancouver. The other Princess ships are cruising out of Seattle to Seattle. Most relatives hardly ever know the name of the ship. They will only say they went on a Princess ship. Ask if they left out of Seattle. If they say "yes".... then you know they are safe. I think tomorrow we will be getting reports from the Cruise-Critic members that are at the  Ketchikan Hospital that survived the airplane crash. I have been a cruise-critic member for many years and we are the first to find out more detail information from our members than from the News people who are getting second hand reports. We will learn more on what really happened with the planes crashing.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, LucyR. said:

I am in shock with two planes from the same company crashing. I was on the Royal ship on April 13th. The Royal has wifi in all of their cabins. Most passengers chose to insert their Medallion wifi into their cell phones or computers. I paid to have wifi installed into my computer where I could stay in touch with facebook relatives and friends. I think when the passengers arrive in Juneau they will be able to receive calls on their cell phones. Juneau is an American port so Americans will be able to contact the cruisers. The ROYAL is the only ship that is cruising from Vancouver. The other Princess ships are cruising out of Seattle to Seattle. Most relatives hardly ever know the name of the ship. They will only say they went on a Princess ship. Ask if they left out of Seattle. If they say "yes".... then you know they are safe. I think tomorrow we will be getting reports from the Cruise-Critic members that are at the  Ketchikan Hospital that survived the airplane crash. I have been a cruise-critic member for many years and we are the first to find out more detail information from our members than from the News people who are getting second hand reports. We will learn more on what really happened with the planes crashing.

Might want to look at the itineraries again.  The Coral, Island & Golden are also sailing the Vancouver - Whittier - Vancouver run this summer. The Golden is sailing opposite direction to the Royal on the Saturday to Saturday schedule and the Coral/Island are sailing on opposite schedules too on Wednesday to Wednesday.  When one ship is in Vancouver the other ship is in Whittier. 

Hello Snowblower, I went to check and you are RIGHT. Some of the other Princess ships are Vancouver to Whittier. I tried to fix what I wrote. I will try again to fix my post. I read that the ROYAL left on May 11th. I also read on the news that all the cruisers were from the Royal ship. Thank you for your information. 

32 minutes ago, LucyR. said:

I am wrong on the other Princess ships. They also cruise from Vancouver to Whittier/An.

So sorry to hear the news.  As others have said, thoughts and prayers to all involved or affected.

i have been on Misty Fjord tours, including the floatplane tours, several times.  I see from the news articles that one of the companies involved was Taquan Air, and I have toured with them.  You see their planes and location from the ship in Ketchikan.  I always felt safe and well cared for on their tours.  Their pilots always seemed safe, gentle, cautious, and considerate.  Again, so sorry for all.

The pre-dawn newscasts here on the east coast are reporting "four dead" or "at least four dead" with "two still missing/unaccounted for". One can only hope that there is a chance that there is one less death. But horrible to think that there is now more than one family waking up this morning still not knowing their loved one's fate.

NBC News also appeared to endorse the Princess statement of five killed/one missing over the Coast Guard reporting four dead/two unaccounted for. 

And unfortunately multiple news outlets are continuing to R/T the premature reports from Alaska-based media that both planes held passengers on Princess excursions. It was established fairly quickly that the smaller plane was a private charter.

20 minutes ago, cyndepet said:

NBC News just reported that one of the planes was owned by Mountain Air Service. . . .

The pilot’s aunt sadly made a post on the Anchorage Daily News’ Facebook page.  She said his name was Randy.

The LA Times did a feature a few years back:

https://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-c1-alaska-float-pilot-20150102-story.html

This is so heartbreaking.

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, LucyR. said:

I would think that reporting here on CC from a Ketchikan medical facility would be a pretty low priority considering the tragic circumstances.  

And, is there any reason you believe media rrports are not revealing "what really happened"?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, fishywood said:

NBC News also appeared to endorse the Princess statement of five killed/one missing over the Coast Guard reporting four dead/two unaccounted for. 

And unfortunately multiple news outlets are continuing to R/T the premature reports from Alaska-based media that both planes held passengers on Princess excursions. It was established fairly quickly that the smaller plane was a private charter.

Sadly, according to Princess’ statement on the crash, both planes were carrying passengers from Royal Princess. The smaller plane was a private tour, not an official Princess excursion, but still booked by Royal passengers. The larger plane was an official Princess excursion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, fishywood said:

They were Princess passengers.  Whether or not the excursion was an "official" Princess one seems a rather minor matter.

• Like 12

10 minutes ago, bemis12 said:

They were Princess passengers.  Whether or not the excursion was an "official" Princess one seems a rather minor matter.

That is what I was pointing out. There was some confusion as to who was in the smaller plane.  Some reports made it seem that only the larger plane had Royal passengers since the smaller was a private charter. 

No  where did I imply the fact the smaller plane wasn’t an “official” excursion made their “importance” any less.  

Edited by Shanlon42
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Shanlon42 said:

That is what I was pointing out. There was some confusion as to who was in the smaller plane.  Some reports made it seem that only the larger plane had Royal passengers since the smaller was a private charter. 

No no where did I imply the fact the smaller plane wasn’t an “official” excursion made any difference to the importance of the matter. 

That's probably why I didn't quote you or respond to your post.

• Like 1

Such a shocking and devastating tragedy for all.

I am so sad for those who were lost and injured, and their families and friends.

It impacts everyone in the cruising world, and especially those who have been to Ketchikan, or will be there one day. 

I remember watching the float planes taking off when we were there in ‘17.  I longed to be one of the adventurous ones who booked those excursions.  I seem to have gotten more skittish in my old age and was too frightened from previous reports of float plane accidents to book a tour.  God bless all who were only following their dream for a once-in-a-lifetime trip to view the majesty of the beauty in the wilderness.  

May their souls be at peace and their loved ones find some semblance of comfort during this unimaginable time.

• Like 1