Sorry about this but.........

clarets

Brands that offer something genuinely different, and value for money make good sense.  I'm thinking more in terms of absolutely identical products such as these:

https://www.boots.com/boots-glycerin-throat-pastilles-blackcurrant-flavour-45g-10175645

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Potters-Pastilles-Blackcurrant-Glycerine-Crystallised/dp/B001E1CWDW

The brand costs three times as much for exactly the same thing.  Or, to take another example, Aldi/Lidl Ginger Nuts cost less than a quarter of the brand for pretty much exactly the same thing.

Trainers are just another classic example.  As you say, though, it's entirely up to consumers how they spend their money - though commenting on it is fair game!

I’d buy the Boots pastilles and mostly buy supermarket own brand food. Also, we now do a lot of our shopping at Aldi.

Like many people we keep our costs down for the day to day things so we can splash out on cruises (and shoes!)

30 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Skechers are the ones for me,after walking around the American theme parks all day there the best I have ever worn.

Sketchers and Pavers are my preferred shoe, comfortable and stylish, plus they have wide fitting and half sizes. Great for casual night onboard ship and comfy for long walks off ship.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Skechers are the ones for me,after walking around the American theme parks all day there the best I have ever worn.

A thumbs up from me for Skechers.

In 2005 I bought 3 pairs of Skechers for £20 each from a factory outlet store, and they lasted me years. In fact I still have a pair that I now use for gardening 

My current favourite brand is Hotters. The size 4.5 fits me perfectly, and I’m gradually collecting casual shoes and sandals. 

Edited by Dermotsgirl

1 hour ago, Denarius said:

Converse All Star basketball boots and shoes are my favourites. Chuck Taylor rules OK. 🙂

Didn’t he fight Bruce Lee and came in all those action films.

On 5/18/2019 at 9:14 AM, Bazrat said:

Thank god it is not just my wife who goes through that nightmare.

Pauline wears cocktail dresses every night and evening dress for formal nights with colour matched shoes and handbag each night.

Dress trousers,shirt and dress shoes for me on casual nights and a black suit,long sleeved shirt with cufflinks, tie and dress shoes for formal night.

9 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Pauline wears cocktail dresses every night and evening dress for formal nights with colour matched shoes and handbag each night.

Dress trousers,shirt and dress shoes for me on casual nights and a black suit,long sleeved shirt with cufflinks, tie and dress shoes for formal night.

We have a tendency to dress up for dinner makes it a bit more special,my cuff links and watches disappeared out of the window along with my wife’s jewellery,we haven’t really got around to replacing them.

2 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We have a tendency to dress up for dinner makes it a bit more special,my cuff links and watches disappeared out of the window along with my wife’s jewellery,we haven’t really got around to replacing them.

It's nice to see people making the effort to dress up on formal night and I'm sure most people feel good about themselves when they are all dressed up.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

It's nice to see people making the effort to dress up on formal night and I'm sure most people feel good about themselves when they are all dressed up.

Thank you on behalf of all of us that like dressing on formal nights and making it an enjoyable part of our cruise.

We have some wonderful photographs taken on our formal nights.

As you, we also like to think we dress smartly on non-formal nights to.:classic_smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bazrat said:

Didn’t he fight Bruce Lee and came in all those action films.

No. He was a well known basketball player just after the first world war who helped the Converse Rubber Shoe Company design footwear for basketball players.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Taylor_All-Stars

Edited by Denarius
Web link did not work

I stand by what I said earlier, sport shirts with logos on have their place.  They can cost a lot of money but you can wear smart casual polo shirts or short sleeved shirts for a reasonable amount of money...…..and I do wear a different shirt every day.

2 minutes ago, moonstone01 said:

I stand by what I said earlier, sport shirts with logos on have their place.  They can cost a lot of money but you can wear smart casual polo shirts or short sleeved shirts for a reasonable amount of money...…..and I do wear a different shirt every day.

Yes they do I wear my sports shirt when I go to the football,I wear my sports shirt when I go to support my daughters netball team she runs.

We prefer to dress up when we go out to dinner,but if you prefer to dress casual you then cannot than complain if someone turns up in tee shirts and shorts,which probably costs more than your clothes.

Bazrat,

you are missing the point, I will wear smart casual on non formal nights, I also wear a suit on the formal nights.  Smart casual..totally acceptable, whether it be tailored shorts and polo shirts on a casual night. sport shirts with logos, sport shorts.....not acceptable, go to the beach if that's how they want to dress

8 minutes ago, moonstone01 said:

Bazrat,

you are missing the point, I will wear smart casual on non formal nights, I also wear a suit on the formal nights.  Smart casual..totally acceptable, whether it be tailored shorts and polo shirts on a casual night. sport shirts with logos, sport shorts.....not acceptable, go to the beach if that's how they want to dress

I think we’re on cross threads here I thought you was advocating casual as a norm not just non formal nights.

On 5/17/2019 at 6:57 PM, docco said:

It says a lot about P&O, and its customers, that it’s regarded as acceptable, or necessary, to lay down any kind of dress code!

Can anyone find one single example of such a thing in any decent restaurant or hotel?

I think you need to get out more. Make a dummy booking for Afternoon Tea or Lunch at the Ritz Hotel and see for your self,

and should you decide to turn up at the entrance to the restaurant  and try and  buck the system, you'll find a range of oversized jackets (and a tie) you'll be required to change into.    

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bell Boy said:

I think you need to get out more. Make a dummy booking for Afternoon Tea or Lunch at the Ritz Hotel and see for your self,

and should you decide to turn up at the entrance to the restaurant  and try and  buck the system, you'll find a range of oversized jackets (and a tie) you'll be required to change into.    

I've eaten there. Many times. But not once have I been required to wear a dinner jacket or even a dark suit. Jacket and tie is fine by me.

And are you seriously attempting to make any kind of comparison between the Ritz, one of the best hotels in London, and a low to middle cruise company like P&O?

15 minutes ago, docco said:

I've eaten there. Many times. But not once have I been required to wear a dinner jacket or even a dark suit. Jacket and tie is fine by me.

And are you seriously attempting to make any kind of comparison between the Ritz, one of the best hotels in London, and a low to middle cruise company like P&O?

Either I've misunderstood you or you've misunderstood me, as your original post referred to a dress code ......  Quote  ......"any kind of dress code"........."find one single example in any decent restaurant or hotel" etc   

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bell Boy said:

Either I've misunderstood you or you've misunderstood me, as your original post referred to a dress code ......  Quote  ......"any kind of dress code"........."find one single example in any decent restaurant or hotel" etc   

You're absolutely right - it did.  I should have made myself clearer.

For the record, though, this is the dress code for the Ritz:

"The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie (jeans and sportswear are not permitted for either ladies or gentlemen) for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant and Terrace. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery, The Secret Garden Bar) and The Ritz Club, smart casual attire is required. Please note that shorts, trainers and sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club’s restaurants or bars."

No mention, obviously, of dinner suits, top hats and tails etc, but a sensible dress code.  And if P&O adopted the same policy it would make a lot of sense - I'd certainly have no problem with it.

I really can't see that a few people choosing to wear smart jackets, trousers and ties on a formal evening is going to be the end of the world, even for the die-hards.

19 minutes ago, docco said:

"The Ritz London has a dress code in different areas of the hotel as follows: Gentlemen are required to wear a jacket and tie (jeans and sportswear are not permitted for either ladies or gentlemen) for afternoon tea in The Palm Court and for lunch and dinner in The Ritz Restaurant and Terrace. In all other areas of the hotel (The Ritz Restaurant breakfast service, The Rivoli Bar, The Long Gallery, The Secret Garden Bar) and The Ritz Club, smart casual attire is required. Please note that shorts, trainers and sportswear are not permitted in any of the hotel or Club’s restaurants or bars."

No mention, obviously, of dinner suits, top hats and tails etc, but a sensible dress code.  And if P&O adopted the same policy it would make a lot of sense - I'd certainly have no problem with it.

I really can't see that a few people choosing to wear smart jackets, trousers and ties on a formal evening is going to be the end of the world, even for the die-hards.

So you would be quite happy to wear a jacket and tie every night on P&O?

22 minutes ago, docco said:

You always seem to dig yourself into a bigger hole with the silly comments you make "top hats and tails". Never seen or the request to wear a top hat and tails on any cruise line and only ever seen tails worn on a cruise line and that was the maitre d in Queens Grill on QE.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, majortom10 said:

You always seem to dig yourself into a bigger hole with the silly comments you make "top hats and tails". Never seen or the request to wear a top hat and tails on any cruise line and only ever seen tails worn on a cruise line and that was the maitre d in Queens Grill on QE.

Sorry for adding a joke to such a serious subject.  I had no idea anybody would take that literally!