Best splurge for 20th anniversary trip

crucero

For our 25th anniversary we booked a Cloud 9 Spa cabin on the Dream when she still sailed out of NOLA. We went down 2 full days before the cruise and stayed  1.5 days afterwards. For the precruise we stayed at a Bed-n-Breakfast (actually cheaper than 2 night stay at a hotel) just off the St. Charles streetcar line and afterwards at a hotel near the airport. To get around NOLA we purchased all day street card passes, and wound up mostly just doing the RIverwalk and Jackson Square area. The night before the cruise cruise we met up with some other people from our roll-call for drinks on Bourbon St.

On board we treated ourselves to every Specialty Dining experience offer except the Chef's Table (too long and drawn out for DH's liking). We also splurged on additional spa offerings beyond what came with the cabin (thermal pass). We also opted for the CHEERS! package. In ports of call we booked mostly private customized tours, except in Cozumel as the Atlantis submarine was actually less expensive through the cruise line than booking on our own and paying for a taxi to the tour center. 

After the cruise we used the luggage valet service offered just past the porter taxi line. They sent for $7 per bag all of our luggage to the hotel. We then went to the Frenchmen Market area for most of the day. After an early dinner we headed to the hotel and just crashed. Our flight was the midday so we slept in since we arranged a late checkout, had a nice lunch and took the hotel shuttle to the airport.

Hi

Since this is special, you could comparison shop one of the more upscale cruise lines. There are some on these threads that feel Oceania gives pretty good value with a higher quality, when you add up all the costs. This would depend on what you are wanting in a cruise of course.

Or maybe just look for a more exotic itinerary. If you weren't looking at spending much more than usual, then yes, steak house, chef's table, maybe spa treatment (if you like that sort of thing).

have a great cruise

9 minutes ago, Nic6318 said:

Hi

Since this is special, you could comparison shop one of the more upscale cruise lines. There are some on these threads that feel Oceania gives pretty good value with a higher quality, when you add up all the costs. This would depend on what you are wanting in a cruise of course.

Or maybe just look for a more exotic itinerary. If you weren't looking at spending much more than usual, then yes, steak house, chef's table, maybe spa treatment (if you like that sort of thing).

have a great cruise

This is a good post ...... If you're talking about which cruise to take for a 20th anniversary look away from Carnival and it's boring itineraries. Take a longer trip on Holland America, Princess, or Celebrity where you can expand your itineraries. Nothing really special about Carnival ......  

If you have vacation time to use, a B2B cruise can be a cheaper alternative to extra days on a ship.  I would rather spend more days cruising vs splurging on spa treatments, etc but that's just me.  Congratulations on this milestone for you and your hubby!

Thanks everyone! I think I’ll look for something outside of Carnival as we have done most of the places they go already. Except Alaska...and we can’t go there in February! 

I’ll check out Oceania. 

9 hours ago, crucero said:

Thanks everyone! I think I’ll look for something outside of Carnival as we have done most of the places they go already. Except Alaska...and we can’t go there in February! 

I’ll check out Oceania. 

We did our 25th to Alaska in May 2017 even though the actual anniversary was in Dec.  If you decide to go with Carnival, make sure to check on your profile page for special events and mark off your anniversary.  You will get a few little perks.

• Thanks 1

It honestly depends what you are looking for. Value? Entertainment? Food? Exotic locations? Pampering? Amenities? Relaxation? Oceania is great for luxury and port options. The Sandals recommendation is another a great luxurious one.

For my eventual honeymoon, we're interested in a trip to a Bora Bora bungalow one day. Very beautiful and relaxing atmosphere. However, I would get bored sitting in one remote spot for a few days.

Honestly, if I could do any vacation right now, I would love to do a 14 day cruise. It's just too hard with work schedules. People love to say Carnival doesn't go anywhere interesting. Look at their journey's options and tell me what is missing.

Will you have kids or no kids?  I like the Sandals suggestion from another member.  Other ideas:

- Order the Cheers drink package

- Steakhouse or Chef's Table (if you are a foodie)

- Upgrade to a balcony cabin or suite

1 hour ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

We did our 25th to Alaska in May 2017 even though the actual anniversary was in Dec.  If you decide to go with Carnival, make sure to check on your profile page for special events and mark off your anniversary.  You will get a few little perks.

I second an Alaskan cruise, although we love Carnival, we opted to go with Princess for this one next May 2020.  But since they are still a Carnival brand we still can get stockholder OBC 😁. I feel like an anniversary can be celebrated a lil early or late to suit your needs 😉. Enjoy!

We cruise various lines and on our splurge cruises we opt for a nicer cabin.  So nice to relax on a wraparound balcony or enjoy the extra space on a Carnival ship.  If I were cruising on Carnival, I would choose an AFT EXCEL suite on the new Mardi Gras. Two room suite and an enormous wraparound balcony with your own private whirlpool.  Now for RCCL, I would choose an Oasis Class ship and get at least a Grand Suite to enjoy the many, many benefits that Royal Suite Class offers.  Can't beat it.  I know you can go to a more upscale line, but for us, we enjoy the fun and activities on Carnival and RCCL.   

just celebrated our 40th on Holland with a 28 day cruise Hawaii and South pacific.when onboard we found out the kids had gotten us the vow renewal  package, totally awesome!!!!!

• Like 1

On 5/18/2019 at 9:57 PM, crucero said:

I’ll check out Oceania. 

Let me suggest small ship cruising.  Windstar offers a wonderful experience.  And if adventure is more your speed, let me strongly recommend Star Clippers.  Both are a truly different experience from traditional big ship cruising.  We consider the latter more 'regular vacation'.

In case you are all wondering, I've decided that our 8/2020 cruise will be for our anniversary. It's the first sailing of the Mardi Gras 9 days from Copenhagen to Southampton. Our anniversary is 3/2021, but my husband wants to go to Disney World for his 50th birthday in 7/2021 which is the 50th anniversary of Disney World. So...I decided we had enough expensive vacations booked. LOL

If we can swing it, I may book us a trip to Key West for 3/2021. The Dry Tortugas National Park is on my bucket list.

Thank you for you input. I do want to explore other cruise lines as we cruise to experience new ports and only unpack once.

• Like 1