Are tips really not expected?

Endorable

It's been 20 years since I've been on a cruise!  I've been doing the AI thing in Mexico and the Caribbean, and even though most packages say 'gratuities included', tips are DEFINITELY still expected.  I don't want to be either a tightwad or a sucker 🙂

If you mean onboard then they are  not expected at all but for exceptional service I’m sure you could if you wished, it’s entirely your choice.

For tours, if we’ve had a good time we always tip a little extra.

Edited by DebbieMacG

We tend to tip bartenders a dollar per drink - we started doing it on other lines where tipping isn't included, and just kept going. I think that they do not expect it, but they certainly appreciate it. We also made a donation to the crew welfare fund.

Not expected.  But a donation to the crew welfare fund is a good way of showing appreciation to ALL of the crew, not just the ones you happen to interact with most often.

I don't know to what "packages" Endorable refers.  Maybe I don't buy those packages because I've never seen a crew member expecting a gratuity.  (We don't use the spa, a different animal from the rest of the ship.)

Edited by marinaro44
  • Like 2

Marinaro44, I was talking about All Inclusive packages in resorts.  Sometimes they say that gratuities are included, but most guests (from N America at least) still tip.  Tipping isn't such a part of the culture in other places where service staff gets paid more appropriately!  I'm hoping that the crew on the Azamara ships are paid more than the workers in the Caribbean.. they LIVE on their tips.

Never expected Marinaro is right. The crew welfare fund is the fairest ways to give anything extra. 

Absolutely no need to tip per drink. The servers don’t expect it. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, uktog said:

Never expected Marinaro is right. The crew welfare fund is the fairest ways to give anything extra. 

A contribution to the Welfare Fund is certainly appreciated and recognized by a nice note of thanks.

We always tip our stateroom attendant at the end of our AZ cruises.  It just feels like the right thing to do because of all the personal service we receive from the same individual....we do it because we like to, not because we have ever felt any pressure to do so.  We also tip the tour guides.

• Like 2

Like others have said, Azamara crew really don't expect tips. They are paid a proper wage. A gratuity is added to the Spa and salon services automatically and if my stateroom attendant has gone above his/her normal expected duties then I will thank them with a small tip but it's really not expected. They honestly prefer their name to be mentioned for good service in the mid or post cruise survey as it leads to recognition from management in their performance reviews.

I do agree that giving to the Crew Welfare Fund is much appreciated by all the crew. 

• Like 1

We agree that the Crew Welfare Fund is by far the best way to show appreciation of the crew as it ensures that those unseen staff who contribute to the overall experience also benefit. It’s also surprising that quite often crew members add their personal thank you as well.

In answer to the original question individual tipping is neither expected or required, although we have done so if a crew member goes above and beyond.

• Like 2

On 5/20/2019 at 1:15 AM, uktog said:

“Need” and “want” are two different things. We want to. 🙂  And before I’m accused of a nefarious purpose, we don’t do it for an upgrade in liquor or a heavier pour (hardly necessary when we can have all we want).  It’s just that the bar service is slammed - most nights in the Den we only had one person mixing and pouring drinks no matter how busy it got, and she kept up like a champ never losing her cheerful demeanor. That’s worth something extra, IMO.

And we went to Guest Services to make a contribution. It would be nice if they could offer an incentive for donating - I’m sure most of the new guests, and maybe even some repeaters, have no idea that it exists. I only remembered when Fabio, the F&B manager, commented that he wished he could have sold the pool furniture that they replaced while we were in Busan and donated the proceeds to the welfare fund. The lightbulb went on, so we made sure to go to GS right away before we forgot again.

On our Antarctica cruise, there was a drawing for the map of the voyage, signed by all of the officers and A&K crew.  All you had to do to enter was make a contribution. That seems like a nice way to publicize that it exists.

• Like 2

No problem if you want to tip extra critterchick ...that's your personal choice. Nothing to say you can't do it. 

However the OP was asking is it expected....and the answer is a clear No. 

Azamara advertises itself as a "gratuity included" cruise line so if everyone starts tipping then it will soon become a "gratuity expected" cruise line. Not what the world outside The States wants at all! 

I do think some Americans in particular have a problem with the "tipping not expected" concept as it is so alien to them not to tip practically everyone ....even if the service is BAD! My partner is American and he has a difficult time with not tipping everyone too. 

As has been said before, the crew fund is a really good way to recognise and thank all the crew for their wonderful work on our behalf. 

• Like 5

18 hours ago, Lottie A said:

No problem if you want to tip extra critterchick ...that's your personal choice. Nothing to say you can't do it. 

However the OP was asking is it expected....and the answer is a clear No. 

Azamara advertises itself as a "gratuity included" cruise line so if everyone starts tipping then it will soon become a "gratuity expected" cruise line. Not what the world outside The States wants at all! 

I do think some Americans in particular have a problem with the "tipping not expected" concept as it is so alien to them not to tip practically everyone ....even if the service is BAD! My partner is American and he has a difficult time with not tipping everyone too. 

As has been said before, the crew fund is a really good way to recognise and thank all the crew for their wonderful work on our behalf. 

Perfect answer to the question posed. 

Phil 

• Like 1

The question is, if one tips extra does one receive better attention? A twenty here or there to get ahead of the queue/ line?  I’ve seen it in action, and on ‘ ultra’ luxury lines too.  My very British morality doesn’t like it, but it does happen. A fact of life, or poor behaviour? I’m very happy to give to the crew fund, but if Mr/ Ms X is tipping staff to beat the system then I’m being a mug, right? 

2 hours ago, Lioncub said:

The question is, if one tips extra does one receive better attention? A twenty here or there to get ahead of the queue/ line?  I’ve seen it in action, and on ‘ ultra’ luxury lines too.  My very British morality doesn’t like it, but it does happen. A fact of life, or poor behaviour? I’m very happy to give to the crew fund, but if Mr/ Ms X is tipping staff to beat the system then I’m being a mug, right? 

The answer to this question is no.  Well not that I've ever seen. 

Phil 

• Like 2

I’ve seen the note being given in s bar at the cruise start. The server was taken aback I suspect because he was thinking I give good service anyway. I also never saw  the tipper getting any better service than the rest of the guests in that bar all cruise. The 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The answer to this question is no.  Well not that I've ever seen. 

Phil 

I once saw a senior member of the main dining room staff offered a tip to provide the same table to a couple ever night.

He politely refused and said sorry sir but we do not work like that, I was very impressed.

• Like 5

If someone is offered a "tip" upfront then it's not a tip. It's a bribe. 

I have seen this done on Oceania and Silversea for extra speciality dining reservations at a particular time, but thankfully I have never seen it on Azamara. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bloodaxe said:

I once saw a senior member of the main dining room staff offered a tip to provide the same table to a couple ever night.

He politely refused and said sorry sir but we do not work like that, I was very impressed.

I’ve seen the same thing on another “premium” line and unfortunately it did work. 

We've nothing against tipping for good service in fact we have just had an excellent lunch in Cafe Rouge the service was very good and the server deserved her tip. But as Brits it sometimes is confusing, I can remember when Azamara was just wine with meals we sat adjacent to another table when wine was poured money exchanged hands however when food was served by the same member of staff - nothing. If both are included surely there should be no difference.