Unbelievable. It's May and there looks like a tropical storm may form on Bermuda

A Sixth?

That forecast is the reason why some folks who were scheduled to embark on the Anthem's cruise to Bermuda this past Saturday, which then got changed to Sunday night because of the medical emergency on the prior cruise, said they decided not to sail (RCI was giving refunds, having had to shorten an already short cruise by two days).

I hope the storm peters out/doesn't materialize, and that everyone in Bermuda and on the ships is safe and sound.

From experience the Captain's make all efforts to  find the smoothest ride and will avoid sailing into a major storm.  Having said that it doesn't look like the cruise should not be adversely affected.   I base this on the Wave Models at http://www.stormsurfing.com/cgi/display.cgi?a=natla_height

The wave model project wave heights out over the next 180 hours in an animated model.

I also keep track of sea, wind and temperatures using an iPhone APP called Windy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

Hopefully it does not have too much adverse effect. Just goes to show that storms are not exclusive to “hurricane season”.

Atlantic "Hurricane season" is effectively June 1st through November 30th every year, though early season storms are rare they do happen.  Safe travels to all!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Has anyone had contact with the Summit?  The water must be rocky and not a good ride.  We are booked for the eleven day cruise on June 5,  just curious how she is doing and if they made a port call.

Not been in contact with anyone on Summit but monitoring on Windy and looks like the seas are not much heavier than 2-2.5 meters (less than 10 feet).   

For this cruise the only port call will be King's Wharf Bermuda for 3 days unlike your (and our) cruise that includes New England ports  as our cruise is 11 days and the current sailing is only 7.

19 minutes ago, A Sixth? said:

The storm is down graded and no more updates are expected to be issued. 

Whew!

image.thumb.png.282c32724f1971750580f379e37535b7.png

Nice to hear the storm fell apart.   From Windy it looks like the remnants will approach a little north of Nassau on Thursday.

7 minutes ago, Eastern flygirl said:

Jim—Lain, so excited you will be on my, our cruise.  I have followed all your postings, and really loved all of them.  I will keep an eye out for you walking.  

Look forward to meeting you.    This is shaping up to be a fun cruise and we know a number of fellow cruisers already.   BTW -   My partner's name is Iain (with an I) which is the Scotch version of Ian and pronounced the same.   He get's called Lain often.

You will definitely find me out walking I generally do 25,000-30,000 steps a day which is how I keep from blimping out.  I usually walk outside on Deck 11 (Sunrise) and then climb the steps Forward and Aft to make a loop.   Will be interesting to see how the new Retreat affects my forward walk on Deck 12.     If the weather is cold or too windy I find refuge and walk the hallways starting on deck 9 and work my way up and down.  

At the risk of  incurring some comments to the contrary from any disbelievers out there....abnormal weather patterns, unusual or extreme storm activity, more frequent and severe storms, tornadoes touching down in areas (close to me for example) that basically never had them before, etc., is all part of global warming and climate change. We'll only see more of it unfortunately. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, gretschwhtfalcon said:

At the risk of  incurring some comments to the contrary from any disbelievers out there....abnormal weather patterns, unusual or extreme storm activity, more frequent and severe storms, tornadoes touching down in areas (close to me for example) that basically never had them before, etc., is all part of global warming and climate change. We'll only see more of it unfortunately. 

There is no storm. 

48 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

Look forward to meeting you.    This is shaping up to be a fun cruise and we know a number of fellow cruisers already.   BTW -   My partner's name is Iain (with an I) which is the Scotch version of Ian and pronounced the same.   He get's called Lain often.

Thanks for letting us know how to pronounce Iain's name. I wondered about it.