Self Serve Laundry Grace Period Before You Remove "Abandoned" Load

SargassoPirate

On the recent trans-pac on the Golden, I heard that an unhappy cruised dumped the “dry hog” laundry onto the floor.  A physical fight occurred and both were put off the ship at the next port.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

We like using the self-laundry on Princess and other lines.  We bring a book and one of us will hang around during the wash and dry cycles.

Often, we arrive to find a washer or two stopped with a load of wet laundry sitting there.  My thinking is give the person 10 minutes and then remove their stuff and proceed with our wash.   On more than one occasion we've run the washer and dryer and that wet laundry is still sitting there.

How much time would you give a "laundry hog"?

We don't give them any time.  My time is just as valuable as anyone else.  I find it rude to walk off and leave your laundry unattended.  :Like you, one of us stays with the laundry.  The times on the machines are not 100% accurate, but if one is stopped, the clothes should be removed so the next person can get their laundry done.  We do not send our laundry out to get washed even though it's a perk.  I like to be in control of my things.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

On the recent trans-pac on the Golden, I heard that an unhappy cruised dumped the “dry hog” laundry onto the floor.  A physical fight occurred and both were put off the ship at the next port.

LMAO!  And rightly so.  There's an ironing board and a small counter for the laundry.  No need to do that to any cruiser.

Yes, the laundry rooms are kept very clean.

Just a note- one cycle in the dryer does not get everything dry. Don’t know what our room steward thought when he came into our cabin and saw clothes draped everywhere.😶

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

44 minutes ago, LawDog61 said:

This has happened on both of the transpacific cruises we’ve done. And then there’s the lady who, because her laundry was in the washer located immediately beneath a dryer, claimed the dryer was “hers”, although there was nothing currently in it. DH just walked away, and found a different dryer in a different laundry room. Which was a good thing, ‘cause I have a feeling she might have been the physical altercation sort. 😉

We also get free laundry, but I prefer to wash and dry my own items.  Normally, I just pack enough clothing to last for the entire cruise.  When we did a 28-day trip to Australia and New Zealand, I did need to use the laundry room.  I choose to stay with my clothing, and took advantage of the ironing board and iron to press our clean clothes that had gotten wrinkled in the suitcases. 

All of the dryers were full, so when one stopped, I removed the dry clothing, put my own clothing in the dryer, and then folded the other person's clothing.  I put the men's shirts on some extra wire hangers from our stateroom.  When the people came back, they were a little surprised, but I believe in treating others as you would like to be treated.  It took 10 minutes out of my day to fold and hang their clothes.  I guess some people wouldn't like strangers folding their laundry, so if you are one of those people, you should probably just stay in the laundry room, or come back frequently to check on your clothing.  A lot of the laundry rooms have televisions in them, and you can still enjoy your adult beverage too. 😉

As for throwing clean laundry on the floor, well no words for that nonsense. That is so uncalled for. 

• Like 4

If a washer is done and nobody around I check to see if dryers are all in use.  If not  I place the wash in the dryer and start my wash using the now vacant washer.  If they come while I'm doing this, I tell them its waiting in the the dryer, they just need to start it.  If no dryer is vacant I loosely fold it and leave on table.

If a dryer is done and I need it, I loosely fold the clothes and also put on the table.  So far no one has been upset.  But I am always very pleasant and  say something like oh the dryer stopped and I folded them so they wouldn't get wrinkled.  No sense in spending you vacation ironing.  A smile usually works

We have used the laundry facilities a few times.

Hubby stays (reading time) and moves the laundry from washer to dryer.  We usually do it early in the morning so there is not much congestion.

There is no real need to be expecting others to deal with your laundry because you either forgot about it or thought you had something else better to do.

4 hours ago, tillys mom said:

Yes, the laundry rooms are kept very clean.

Just a note- one cycle in the dryer does not get everything dry. Don’t know what our room steward thought when he came into our cabin and saw clothes draped everywhere.😶

This could all so happen if some one else opened to see if there were clothing in it.  Doesn't a button have to be press to start it up again? 

The scenario on our last cruise went like this:

>I take one basket down to the laundry room

>Two washers and two driers total.  One washer was in use, one was stopped with clothes in it, both dryers were in use.

>I took the clothes out of the stopped washer and started my load.  Book in hand, I took a seat.

>Dryers stopped, one was emptied and one got another cycle to finish drying (by a lady that was also monitoring her stuff)

>I'm really trying to "hurry up" my wash (by hoping and wishing and mental telepathy) so I would be able to get mine into the dryer before the laundry hog comes back.

>As fate would have it, about 5 minutes before my wash cycle was done, the girl with the finished wash (lying on top of the dryer, where I put it) came back and put hers into the dryer.  

>Having failed to push the machine into warp drive and finish early, I sighed and then patiently waited for the other dryer to finish and throw mine in.  This ended up "costing" me an extra 45 min to an hour.

It's not a huge deal and I do appreciate that Princess has offers this (especially the irons and ironing boards).  I just wish people would think about how their actions might impact others.  At least she wasn't hateful or angry about my having removed her stuff from the washer.  Actually, she didn't seem to even notice the clothes had made it to the top of the dryer instead of staying in the washer where she left them.

I never would put anyone's clothes on the floor.  But I also wouldn't fold wet) clothes. . . . .maybe dry ones.  

On 5/21/2019 at 5:52 PM, Diver2014 said:

If you wait for more than a half hour and no one shows up, then I think you have every right to remove their wet clothes.

If they don't care enough about their laundry to stay with it, they are denying use of the machines for everyone else.

As far as dryers go, same thing.....but don't just pile their clothes up on top and throw yours in.  It would be polite to quickly fold the items so they are not totally wrinkled when they are eventually retrieved.  We were always told to do that back in the college days when we had coin operated machines in the dorms.  

Oh no.......  Half an hour of my vacation time?   Not going to happen...........

One has every right for removal as soon as the washer or dryer stops.  That's common laundry room etiquette. If you don't want your clothing touched, show up early.  And if someone else has removed your clothes for your tardiness, apologize profusely. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

All this drama makes me wonder why some elites would rather do laundry themselves. 

Jim

I wash to keep my  clothes from shrinking or growing larger or getting small pin holes in them.   Jeans, gym clothes, socks and old junky clothes  go to the ship's laundry.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jasbo49 said:

All this drama makes me wonder why some elites would rather do laundry themselves. 

Jim

You obviously have not had some of your good cloths ruined by the ship laundry.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waltd said:

You obviously have not had some of your good cloths ruined by the ship laundry.

Well, that's true. So far I've had more bad experiences with selfish passengers in the laundry room than with having my laundry done.

Jim

4 hours ago, lolane1 said:

Oh no.......  Half an hour of my vacation time?   Not going to happen...........

One has every right for removal as soon as the washer or dryer stops.  That's common laundry room etiquette. If you don't want your clothing touched, show up early.  And if someone else has removed your clothes for your tardiness, apologize profusely. 

Spot on response!!

Several years ago on the Crown, someone had removed anothers clothes and THREW THEM ON THE FLOOR!!!  The lady whose clothes were on the floor goes into the laundry, sees her stuff on the floor and the guys admits he threw them there because she didn't come back and get them.   The woman goes and gets her hubby and that's when the fight broke out!!
We heard they were all put out at the next port!!

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, jasbo49 said:

Well, that's true. So far I've had more bad experiences with selfish passengers in the laundry room than with having my laundry done.

Jim

Yep I get it.    Unfortunately it's a no win situation .  Bring back the steamer trunks and more cloths.   😀

On 5/21/2019 at 2:43 PM, SargassoPirate said:

We like using the self-laundry on Princess and other lines.  We bring a book and one of us will hang around during the wash and dry cycles.

Often, we arrive to find a washer or two stopped with a load of wet laundry sitting there.  My thinking is give the person 10 minutes and then remove their stuff and proceed with our wash.   On more than one occasion we've run the washer and dryer and that wet laundry is still sitting there.

I agree with voljeep...as long as it takes me to look out the door and see if someone is coming.  Look at it from a common sense point of view. If it's in the washer, take it out because it's through washing and it's not going to gain or lose anything (okay, it'll lose some moisture) so the person who owns the clothes isn't losing anything other than time and that's because they aren't there to put them in the dryer. If it's in the dryer, it's not going to get any drier just sitting there and neither is it going to get any less wrinkled, probably by being out of the drier. In neither case are they losing anything other than possibly some time and that's because they aren't there to take their stuff out and fold/iron them if that's their desire. I'd take them out and put them on top of another washer for them to claim then when they do return. No harm, no foul.

Tom

18 hours ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

I agree with voljeep...as long as it takes me to look out the door and see if someone is coming.  Look at it from a common sense point of view. If it's in the washer, take it out because it's through washing and it's not going to gain or lose anything (okay, it'll lose some moisture) so the person who owns the clothes isn't losing anything other than time and that's because they aren't there to put them in the dryer. If it's in the dryer, it's not going to get any drier just sitting there and neither is it going to get any less wrinkled, probably by being out of the drier. In neither case are they losing anything other than possibly some time and that's because they aren't there to take their stuff out and fold/iron them if that's their desire. I'd take them out and put them on top of another washer for them to claim then when they do return. No harm, no foul.

Tom

Well Tom, remember to look out two doors:  Port and starboard side.  Or, just move the clothes!

• Haha 1

WOW!  I love my free laundry!

I do wash some things & hang them in the shower.  If they aren't fully dry by AM, I hang them in the closet.

I have NO desire to visit a laundry room on vacation.  Been there, done that -- and have earned the privilege of not doing it again.

On 5/21/2019 at 1:43 PM, SargassoPirate said:

Is there a time limit notice or policy posted in the laundry room?

Isn’t laundry considered personal property?  And do you have the right to remove others PAXs laundry from the washer or dryer?

Edited by Kingofcool1947