Gee, I wish Princess' post-cruise surveys were longer....said no one ever!

VaCruzers

Nice ... so much fluff getting to the real part about naming the actual people that gave you the exceptional service ... like the servers in Crooners :classic_wink:

how was your 7 day cruise on the CB after the 4 day ??

7 minutes ago, voljeep said:

Nice ... so much fluff getting to the real part about naming the actual people that gave you the exceptional service ... like the servers in Crooners :classic_wink:

how was your 7 day cruise on the CB after the 4 day ??

Yes!! J & K were great and were mentioned along with a few others including our personable and efficient cabin steward. The 7 day was just as awesome as the 4 day...until we were required to disembark yesterday morning. 😪 

• Like 1

Yet they rarely ask us the questions we are dying to answer:

Did you enjoy being told the Lido Deck is the only place open for lunch on embarkation day when there's actually lunch in the MDR and International Cafe?

Are you happy that the only place you can sit down in your balcony cabin is the bed or the desk chair when every other major cruise line offers a sofa?

Just a couple of thoughts. Add your own if you wish.

Jim

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Directing us on embarkation day to use the mid-ship elevators which were horribly busy to get to our aft cabin (already started to move that direction but an attendant whisked us away from that direction) and having to juggle our carry-ons all of that distance down the narrow hall-way to our cabin.

I actually did put that somewhere on the survey.  I did highly praise our room steward and the hostess in the cigar lounge as they were stellar!

You are right, though.  Make sure you have your favorite beverage and schedule cleared for a half an hour or so before you start the survey.

• Haha 2

The survey is ridiculously long!  And I wish they would tell you in the beginning that you will have an opportunity toward the end to make commendations.  I was trying to squish them in under the various topics before I realized/remembered there would be specific space much later for those.  The survey is really not well put together at all.  And did we mention long?

Yes, the surveys are long

We plod thru

Ratng one thing and another

Commenting on what pleased us

And what didn't

And making commendations

But, really, does anyone actually read the fruits of.our labor???9

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, beckntom said:

The survey is ridiculously long!  And I wish they would tell you in the beginning that you will have an opportunity toward the end to make commendations.  I was trying to squish them in under the various topics before I realized/remembered there would be specific space much later for those.  The survey is really not well put together at all.  And did we mention long?

Crazy long. I wonder if they really want an honest opinion. 🙀 

I haven't gotten a post-cruise survey in the last 4-5 cruises. Yes, I checked my spam folder. I now make notes during the cruise and get a "Comment' card at the Passenger Services Desk, fill it out and turn it in. Only way I get any voice. 😞

Way back when they used to give you a survey to fill out the last evening of your cruise. You would drop it  in a box by guest services and they would draw one out and award a free cruise. That's how valuable these surveys are but now they get the feedback for free. 

1 hour ago, Pam in CA said:

I haven't gotten a post-cruise survey in the last 4-5 cruises. Yes, I checked my spam folder. I now make notes during the cruise and get a "Comment' card at the Passenger Services Desk, fill it out and turn it in. Only way I get any voice. 😞

Similar experience here (3 to 4 cruises). I jokingly tell friends Princess is tired of hearing me complain repeatedly about how their cost-cutting measures have deteriorated the passenger experience, in some areas,  compared to other cruise lines and as a result I no longer receive the post-cruise surveys. 

Edited by cheezenip

8 minutes ago, voljeep said:

has anyone here gotten a direct human response to a survey submitted ?

You will not get a response. Completing the survey is your choice.

Surveys are rated and consolidated by departments. Those results are provided to HQ and ship's officers. I'm told that comments about individual staff are also reviewed.

The thing that bothers me about Princess surveys is that the crew and staff coaches you to rate them excellent. Example, on our last Emerald cruise on the last evening we dined in the buffet. They had an ice cream sundae station set up with a sign which hinted to rate them a 10.  Another example is the cruise director's staff giving a talk in the DR on the last evening, always mentioning to rate them excellent. This is wrong if Princess wants more accurate results, and does not punish for average ratings. 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Pam in CA said:

Sometimes I get a survey.  Sometimes I don't.  I have learned that they expire after a couple of weeks so I need to respond quickly.

So, before I  leave the ship, I always fill out "Comment" cards for outstanding crew members.  I hope someone really reads them! 

1 hour ago, skynight said:

The thing that bothers me about Princess surveys is that the crew and staff coaches you to rate them excellent. ... This is wrong if Princess wants more accurate results, and does not punish for average ratings. 

I suppose what's going on here is that corporate really does want our honest opinion, but to the ship's personnel, it's more of a chance to outrank the other ships or shine among their peers.

So the crew would rather have our 10 than our honest opinion.

Jim

I have been on 10 Princess cruise since 2001 and I have never received anything vaguely resembling a Post-Cruise Survey.

I fill out the "Comment Cards" at the end of the cruise and put those in the box, but have never seen a survey.

This is fascinating to me, really, because I work in survey design professionally. Not cruise ships, but museums/historic sites.

Because of this, I did spend the time filling out the survey while my mom and I were sitting by the pool at our post-cruise hotel after our first Princess cruise last February. 

I do remember mentioning to her that I found it long... but I also commented and thought that it was pretty well designed as far as professional survey design goes.

I've had these conversations with people at work all the time: "urgh! People don't like the long surveys. Let's just give them one rating scale for them to rate us. It'll be easier and we'll get more!"

Someone actually just said this to me yesterday as I was working on our digital survey pilot. 

My response? "Well, that's true... but how useful is a single rating scale, really, given what we want to know about people's visits? I'm using this data to make actual decisions, so I need the specific questions. A rating scale just makes us feel better about ourselves; we don't actually learn from it."

Don't get me started on response bias, where the majority of people are likely to just rate things either 5/5 or 1/5, rarely anything in between.

Similarly, while it's nice that people enjoyed their tour with Steven, it doesn't help us plan and make the museums better. Same thing with regards to how awesome staff is/was. I know on cruise lines it's more likely they get bonuses for good ratings/mentions, but I think the trend in business is changing on that front.

I certainly can't speak for Princess Corporate. That's for sure. But my guess is that because of the level of information, the way they use it, and the way it is designed, that they are indeed using it for decision-making. Whether your individual suggestion or complaint gets applied is another matter as data is collated and compiled and may be acknowledged internally, but not acted upon for a variety of reasons. Or acted upon in a way that may not be immediately apparent. It's fascinating, really, but I'm a nerd for this type of thing. lol Pretty biased, I must admit.

All this being said, I would strongly suggest that Princess offer a small token as a thank you for filling out the whole survey. Say.... a $25 onboard credit for next cruise? Free dinner for one? I dunno. Something to acknowledge that they know it's long and they are grateful. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, skynight said:

The thing that bothers me about Princess surveys is that the crew and staff coaches you to rate them excellent.

I haven't cruised as much or on as many lines as a lot of other Cruise Critic participants, but have received that coaching on every cruise I have taken (since 1976).  It isn't just Princess.

1 hour ago, history_bits said:

All this being said, I would strongly suggest that Princess offer a small token as a thank you for filling out the whole survey. Say.... a $25 onboard credit for next cruise? Free dinner for one? I dunno. Something to acknowledge that they know it's long and they are grateful. 

Thank you for your entire response as it was very enlightening.  I especially liked this part. :classic_biggrin:  I think if Princess doesn't do SOMETHING that validates the time and energy I have expended . . . my last survey may be just that--the last.

I no longer answer surveys from companies.  I'm tired of my dentist sending a survey after each appointment.  I'm tired of AAA doing the same.  Ditto for Princess.

I will let the company know if they did something wrong in my eyes.  If they did something above and beyond what I expected they will hear from me.  If they did their job, and nothing more, then they won't hear from me.

If they give me compensation for my time in completing their survey then I will complete it.  This compensation needs to be in the form of cash.

I have not had any Princess cruise member request that I rate their service in any category on the survey.  I have experienced this only on Royal Caribbean.  Such was a "turn off".  It was so unnecessary.  My MDR Stewards did an excellent job.  Having experienced this on RCCL, it is one reason why I have not really been interested in another RCCL cruise, even though I am a shareholder of RCI.