First cruise on P&O questions

kerryincork

Going on my first P&O cruise next month 😁

Just have a couple of quick questions

Our boarding time is at 14.30, will the cabin be available to us at this time?

I have read there are laundry rooms. Do the machines have a cold wash? Do the driers have variable settings?

We will be sailing on The Ventura going to Iceland.

I have been on about 20+ cruises with most of the big name cruise lines.

Is there anything we should be aware of? Or things that are done differently on P&O that might trip us up.

I am haunting CC now trying to glean any info I can.

We had one instance where our cabin was not available straight away, but the crew had been dealing with a small fire. It was ready within about half an hour of boarding and our luggage was waiting for us.

It didn't affect me much, I was still deliberating over which four desserts to try in the buffet...

Every other time, our cabin has been ready and luggage there, even when boarding early.

Cant help you with the laundry questions, I just 'turn em inside out'...😀

The big difference will be the Britishness of P&O, this reflects in the menu, entertainment and drinks.

We love P&O, just our level.

I hope you have a fantastic time.

Andy

I'm thinking of booking our first P&O cruise to the Caribbean on the Azura out of Barbados, we usually cruise with Royal Caribbean but fancy a change.

On the last day, what do you do with yourself while you're waiting to be taken to the airport? Do you have to leave the ship early and find something to do until it's airport time? Or can you stay aboard the ship? What about luggage, is that taken directly to the airport from the ship without having to take it to airport buses yourself?

You put your main luggage outside your cabin as normal and the next time you will see it is at your UK airport. You can stay on the ship until you are called to go to the airport which will be around 3-4 hours before departure. There is a facility for storing your hand luggage if needed.

On your arrival flight you get off the aircraft and go straight onto a bus to take you to the ship. You do not enter the terminal. Your luggage follows on and will eventually arrive at your cabin.

It all works very well.

Brian

31 minutes ago, Mim Lloyd said:

I'm thinking of booking our first P&O cruise to the Caribbean on the Azura out of Barbados, we usually cruise with Royal Caribbean but fancy a change.

On the last day, what do you do with yourself while you're waiting to be taken to the airport? Do you have to leave the ship early and find something to do until it's airport time? Or can you stay aboard the ship? What about luggage, is that taken directly to the airport from the ship without having to take it to airport buses yourself?

You leave your hold luggage outside your cabin the previous night.  It's taken to the airport and you don't see it again until you get to your destination airport at luggage reclaim. 

Your hand luggage minus valuables like passport, money etc, which you should keep with you, can be left at a luggage drop on board ship which is staffed.  You have a numbered ticket to identify your bags.

You usually have to vacate your cabin by 8am but have a free run of the ship and the facilities, restaurants etc until your scheduled time for coach  transfer to the airport.

You can come and go off the ship as you wish.  At the cruise terminal there are quite a lot of shops and outside some craft style stalls.  We usually take a stroll along the waterfront into Bridgetown (pleasant walk) to the pedestrian bridge where we cross over to the Bridge House Hotel where we have a leisurely drink then wander back to the ship for a late lunch.  Given they are late/overnight flights which aren't the best way to end your holiday, we actually quite enjoy going into Bridgetown to while away the time and it makes it a fairly relaxed day rather than getting up and rushing for early flights.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.tripadvisor.com.ph/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g147263-d184608-i139173025-The_Careenage-Bridgetown_Saint_Michael_Parish_Barbados.html&ved=2ahUKEwjg-cvD8r7iAhUC26QKHafgDFAQFjAregQIBRAB&usg=AOvVaw0TzHa4l4MChZP5f7vtoCWG&cshid=1559069656515

Edited by kruzseeka

Great info folks, thanks. Quite like idea of easy, seamless travel to and from Barbados. Can you pay extra for Premium Economy and/or particular seats at the time of booking or only near to departure? The cruise I'm looking at is over 22 months away so the flights wouldn't be available yet.

4 hours ago, kerryincork said:

We've always been in our cabin by then - if we've been on the ship that is !

I

I have read there are laundry rooms. Do the machines have a cold wash? Do the driers have variable settings?

Sorry, not sure as we never use them

I have been on about 20+ cruises with most of the big name cruise lines.

Is there anything we should be aware of? Or things that are done differently on P&O that might trip us up.

+ I don't think it will trip you up but it is a positive - the price of drinks is far cheaper and no additional gratuities on top of each one.

+ We find that tipping as you go is more common on US lines and not expected on P&O (though we always give little extra bits for things like cabin service)

+ The sail-away parties are louder and more (how can I put this?) cheap and cheerful. I really don't mean that in a bad way because we love to go up to some of them. It is good to have some music when you first set sail and find it a bit 'dead' on Celebrity in comparison. The music tends to be your British 'party' music.

+ The Great British Sailaway is fun (we like it) but it is easy to avoid if it fills you with dread and you don't do the whole flag waving, patriot stuff

+ P&O is more formal and you will find that most people will dress up for the formal evenings

+ The Captain's Welcome Cocktail Party takes place in the atrium (free drinks) on the first formal night and it always has a great atmosphere as the Captain welcomes everyone on board

+Announcements are made at the end of the day by the Captain before you set sail which we enjoy so tune your TV in to hear them

+ You'll have a kettle in your room with drinks and biscuits replenished twice a day

+ If you are freedom dining and find a table you like / area if you ask at the desk when you go in they will try to grant your request. It isn't guaranteed though and you will have to wait.

+ The cost of speciality restaurants is MUCH cheaper on P&O  so don't be put off if you're used to US prices. The Beach House menu is great and we also enjoyed Sindhu's. The Glasshouse on Ventura was also good value when we were there.

I am haunting CC now trying to glean any info I can.

Edited by Presto2
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Mim Lloyd said:

Great info folks, thanks. Quite like idea of easy, seamless travel to and from Barbados. Can you pay extra for Premium Economy and/or particular seats at the time of booking or only near to departure? The cruise I'm looking at is over 22 months away so the flights wouldn't be available yet.

I am going to Barbados next January and my cruise personalised says I can upgrade flight seats 14 weeks before the holiday

21 minutes ago, caber said:

I am going to Barbados next January and my cruise personalised says I can upgrade flight seats 14 weeks before the holiday

We are booked on Britannia and flying out to Barbados in Spring 2021. We booked directly with P&O and have already upgraded flight seats. May be worth contacting them or your agent if you used one. 

17 minutes ago, pete14 said:

We are booked on Britannia and flying out to Barbados in Spring 2021. We booked directly with P&O and have already upgraded flight seats. May be worth contacting them or your agent if you used one. 

Thanks. Will do. 

5 hours ago, kerryincork said:

Not sure about the cold water, but the dryers do have variable settings. You will need to take your own detergent and conditioner. Ventura used to sell the tablets but had stopped when we were on her last year. Try the sheets for the dryers.

Avoid the buffet at peak times, after about 8 am for breakfast and as soon as it opens at lunch and evening time.

Fruit juice is only available at breakfast time (free). The only free ice cream is in the mdr. The themed food nights are usually in the buffet one night then mdr the next night. 

when I have had to use the machines onboard ,after suggestions on here I got washing powder sheets from amazon

51FIh8MLlkL._SY180_.jpg
Sold by: Swan Product
I cant find them on there now, but people have said you can purchase in some shops. no spillages.no weight to them. Certainly worked for me, and the people who suggested them. They are dry, so they dont dry out when you have opened them ..if you get what i mean. I think the washing machines and tumble dryers do cold/warm/hot. doesnt tell you what temperatures they equate to though.

10 hours ago, caber said:

I think the 14 weeks before date is when you can reserve the seat numbers you want for the flights (chargeable £30 pp each way I think)

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

when I have had to use the machines onboard ,after suggestions on here I got washing powder sheets from amazon

51FIh8MLlkL._SY180_.jpg
Sold by: Swan Product
I cant find them on there now, but people have said you can purchase in some shops. no spillages.no weight to them. Certainly worked for me, and the people who suggested them. They are dry, so they dont dry out when you have opened them ..if you get what i mean. I think the washing machines and tumble dryers do cold/warm/hot. doesnt tell you what temperatures they equate to though.

Docco posted a useful link regarding these last week on another thread.

Cant find it now as he seems to have changed his profile.

Andy

Several brands (none of which you have ever heard of) if you do an Amazon search.  They seem pretty expensive to me.  IF I ever feel I will need to use a washing machine on a cruise I think I will just take pods or tablets, safely stored in a secure plastic container

Enjoy your cruise Kerry

2 hours ago, bee-ess said:

I think the 14 weeks before date is when you can reserve the seat numbers you want for the flights (chargeable £30 pp each way I think)

Yes. That is correct. Premium economy seats can be booked as an upgrade when you book your cruise. 

We are also on this cruise.  The Reykjavik port website says we arrive at 9 am.  P&O are not good at giving arrival and departure times, so it's best to look them up on the web.

Looking forward to this Cruise!

6 hours ago, bee-ess said:

Yes, I think you are correct. I emailed my. TA to ask about upgrading and all the premium economy seats are already booked for my flight. 

7 hours ago, eddie11 said:

Several brands (none of which you have ever heard of) if you do an Amazon search.  They seem pretty expensive to me.  IF I ever feel I will need to use a washing machine on a cruise I think I will just take pods or tablets, safely stored in a secure plastic container

Enjoy your cruise Kerry

Most of the people who he suggested them were fly cruisers who were trying to cut down on weight and space.

What I didn't use on the cruise I used when I got home.

6 hours ago, kerryincork said:

I am trying to arrange tour from Reykjavik on the Sunday we arrive?

Does anyone know what time this will be?

If your sailing date is 23rd June, this shows your schedule.  Looks like previous suggestions of 9 am is correct.

http://www.cruisecal.com/portal/ItineraryPrint/tabid/2919/Default.aspx?sailID=CarnUK/N916

We'll, I've booked my first P&O cruise! Azura in the Caribbean in Jan 2021. I've also upgraded to Premium for the flight and my TA tells me that I'll be able to book the actual seat numbers about 14 weeks before the cruise. She also tells me that I'll have to pay for reserving actual seat numbers which is a bit of a swizz considering the cost of the Premium upgrade. But it is what it is I suppose. Is it always a TUI Dreamliner flight from Manchester or what other airlines?