Mosaic cafe... questions

Redtravel

I travel often and on a mix of cruise lines. Each has its good and not so good features. Next cruise is in July on Quest. Mosaic cafe has been a favorite for us. We are coffee and tea junkies. Our favorite on ship pass time is enjoying a cup leisurely anytime.  For us a good coffee bar is really important.  We have recently been on other cruise lines, Oceania and Windstar, that now close their coffee bars at 6 pm. To get late night coffee, we have to visit a bar or use room service. It just isn’t the same.  We hope that Azamara still has mosaic open late. Does anyone know the hours for Mosaic?  Also, what brands of coffee and tea are they using now?  I remember Nespresso.  

I can't answer the coffee question as I only drink tea and there are a number of different flavours of those. Mosaic Cafe is open from 7am to 11.30pm. Morning snacks and pastries 7am until 11.30am, sandwiches and cakes noon to 5.30pm. They also do afternoon tea in Living Room from 3.30 to 4.30 and tapas there from 5.30. 

Phil 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Belfastman said:

Not sure what the coffee brand is but it is not very good just passable. Oceania coffee (Illy) is much superior

In the very early days Azamara did have Illy coffee in the cafe but that was when it was chargeable, I agree it is better quality.

I know that many people do not agree but we liked it better when you paid for the drinks that you preferred, alcohol and otherwise.

No need to wonder if your drinks where on the included list.

You paid for what you needed, especially if you only drank occasionally.

Cruise prices started to rise considerably after the inclusion of drinks,

I know those days are got forever, more's the pity.

You can get Nespresso, but that is charged. The regular coffee they serve is fine and you can have espresso, latte, capuchins, flat white etc. You can also get decaf coffee too (which I have to have as caffeine sets off my heart  arythmia). 

Can’t remember Mosaic hours, don’t think it’s open on the evening, but a similar coffee machine is in the Living Room which is open late.

2 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

You can get Nespresso, but that is charged. The regular coffee they serve is fine and you can have espresso, latte, capuchins, flat white etc. You can also get decaf coffee too (which I have to have as caffeine sets off my heart  arythmia). 

Can’t remember Mosaic hours, don’t think it’s open on the evening, but a similar coffee machine is in the Living Room which is open late.

Mosaic has always been open in the evening, Phil listed the hours earlier.

It’s always very busy in the evening. We never drink the stuff offered in the MDR it’s not great, we always have our after dinner coffee in Mosaic. Nespresso is not available on Pursuit and unless you have a package on the other ships I’d not bother with it 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Bloodaxe said:

Mosaic has always been open in the evening, Phil listed the hours earlier.

We loved it when the piano was sited in Mosaic and the entertainer was always there until late, it was a lovely end to our day.

Edited by Bloodaxe

18 hours ago, uktog said:

It’s always very busy in the evening. We never drink the stuff offered in the MDR it’s not great, we always have our after dinner coffee in Mosaic. Nespresso is not available on Pursuit and unless you have a package on the other ships I’d not bother with it 

Yes, this is what we do also.  We eat early [by British standards] and Mosaic is not usually busy when we come out for our coffee.  Usually brought straight to the table [1 Latte and 1 Americano with a little cold milk on the side] as we sit down, the servers knowing full well our [unchanging] standard order. 

• Like 3

We have been on all three ships and enjoyed decafe regular coffee and herbal teas.

The coffee is made with their fancy machine and my husband said it is quite good and he is a coffee drinker. We also finished dinner early and wandered down for a biscotti and coffee or tea.

On 5/31/2019 at 9:37 AM, uktog said:

Years ago (2010 to be precise) when we took our first Azamara cruise, we complained vociferously about the MDR coffee.  Ended up having our waiter go to Mosaic and bring us back our after dinner coffee.  (We didn't ask...they acknowledged the rotten dining room coffee and offered to bring us the "good" coffee from Mosaic...another example of the wonderful service on Azamara)   Over the years I think the coffee in Discoveries has improved, but I still love my early morning Mosaic run for coffee and a pastry (we're not huge breakfast people.)

mare

We were on Journey transatlantic in late April. Mosaic is open late, and the coffee is superb (and for those not acquainted with Azamara, included in your fare). That said, DW and I took Heike aside (she had asked all of us for criticisms early in the cruise, to improve the experience) and complained very bitterly about MDR coffee. She was somewhat surprised, said there was no reason for there to be poor quality coffee there, since it is all the same equipment and coffee to begin with. Knowing Azamara and knowing Heike after a number of cruises (I assume she does not drink coffee), I'm hoping we will see an improvement in the MDR on all three ships! Of all my Azamara criticisms, the relatively poor quality of the main dining room coffee is probably highest on my list.

Flat white is an Australian import. Enjoyed many a good flat white whilst in Sydney. Becoming very popular in the UK for reasons mentioned above. Mosaic coffee the best at sea! So much so, the Pursuit has not even bothered with Nespresso. The room service coffee is awful though. Not unique to Azamara. RS Coffee on Silversea and Seabourn also terrible. Why can’t cruise lines sort this issue out? Would really prefer not to have to do the coffee run whilst on a top cruise line.

I think you'll find flat white is a Kiwi import.......we have had them for about 25 years here. Best baristas in the world also come from NZ....we win the barista world champs frequently. If you want a good coffee, you know where to come! (I personally prefer British Twinings tea).

• Like 1

I wonder if they have a name for what I usually order: a double espresso with added water.

I drink my coffee black, and like it strong - stronger than an americano. I just don’t like the small cups that an espresso usually is served in... I like to hug my mug. 😁

Edited by snowglobe