Florida airports

Tara12

Miami International would be my recommendation. Very easy to get to the Port of Miami or to one of the local hotels. If you are staying at one of the airport hotels a lot of them have both shuttles that will collect you from the airport as well as drop you off at the port.

• Like 1

Uber from MIA to POM is under $20 while Uber from ALL to POM is about $35+. Choose the best fare, flight times, connections, etc. And be sure to arrive at least one day early.

• Like 1

To the OP: MIA or FLL. They are one of the same, FLL is about 30-45 minutes from Port Miami/Downtown Miami. Look at either, fly in the day before the cruise. So see which is cheaper or has a better schedule etc.. 

If price and schedule are the same or close to the same, then pick MIA over FLL. Easier airport and closer to the Port. You'll want to look at both because FLL does have airlines that don't fly to MIA like JetBlue or Southwest. 

22 hours ago, EngIceDave said:

MIA is a zoo

I'd fly into FLL

Lived in Florida all my life and So Fla most of that

May I ask when is the last time you flew out of either? 10-years ago this was right. Now. FLL is a unmitigated disaster. Old terminals, overcrowded, much more prone to delays, terrible pick up area that is backed up with traffic all day. FLL Friday-Sunday is a crowded mess, especially anything other than the new G-Gates. 

Most of MIA (not G and F) is spacious, modern, and actually has choices of amenities. I hate getting an evening flight out of FLL where I need to eat before my flight. So few choices and 20-min lines.  

Edited by Flymia

8 minutes ago, Flymia said:

May I ask when is the last time you flew out of either? 10-years ago this was right. Now. FLL is a unmitigated disaster. Old terminals, overcrowded, much more prone to delays, terrible pick up area that is backed up with traffic all day. FLL Friday-Sunday is a crowded mess, especially anything other than the new G-Gates. 

Most of MIA (not G and F) is spacious, modern, and actually has choices of amenities. I hate getting an evening flight out of FLL where I need to eat before my flight. So few choices and 20-min lines.  

Lol.  I was about to write the same thing.  Nowadays Miami is much less of a zoo than FLL.  And FLL is only getting worse, if that's even possible.

55 minutes ago, BNBR said:

Lol.  I was about to write the same thing.  Nowadays Miami is much less of a zoo than FLL.  And FLL is only getting worse, if that's even possible.

The up coming runway closure are going to make delays very common at FLL for the duration of the project. A lot of airlines are cutting down on flights during that period. Afternoon thunderstorms will be a disaster. Funny thing is you might see a lot of diversions to MIA if the weather is poor at FLL and ok at MIA. 

20 minutes ago, Flymia said:

The up coming runway closure are going to make delays very common at FLL for the duration of the project. A lot of airlines are cutting down on flights during that period. Afternoon thunderstorms will be a disaster. Funny thing is you might see a lot of diversions to MIA if the weather is poor at FLL and ok at MIA. 

I don't see why it would create a problem at all.  We didn't even have 2 runways until recently and I still believe the 2nd runway was a huge mistake.  We don't have the infrastructure to support 2 runways, we never needed it.  We can't handle the additional traffic.  FLL went from the best airport to possibly one of the worst in the span of 5 years.  Horribly mismanaged.  And they keep spending obscene money on it, which results in even more disastrous results.  It's incredible.

I fly into FLL because Southwest doesn't fly into MIA.  The airline you're using is a consideration.  Agree that FLL is a disaster.  The last 2 times I flew out of there, there was nowhere to sit in the gate area, very limited eating options, and hotter than hell.  Security line was so long and busy they had to hold people back from even getting in line.  I was a gigantic sweat ball by the time I got back home.  

I noticed when they started to bring the big Mother of the Seas ships into Ft. Lauderdale it got notably worse.

Roz

3 hours ago, BNBR said:

I don't see why it would create a problem at all.  We didn't even have 2 runways until recently and I still believe the 2nd runway was a huge mistake.  We don't have the infrastructure to support 2 runways, we never needed it.  We can't handle the additional traffic.  FLL went from the best airport to possibly one of the worst in the span of 5 years.  Horribly mismanaged.  And they keep spending obscene money on it, which results in even more disastrous results.  It's incredible.

The expanded south runway opened in September of 2014, 2014 total passenger numbers was 24,600,000 passengers. 2018 total passenger count? 35,900,000! 45% increase in passengers. And thats not because of larger planes as besides for a few new long haul routes most of that are just more flights with narrow body fleets of JetBlue. Southwest and Spirit. Before the runway expansion opened IIRC FLL had horrible ATC delay issues being one of the busiest if not busiest one-runway (for airliners) airport in the U.S. 

The runway was desperately needed, or airlines would have had no choice but to go down I-95 to MIA. Going back down to 1-runway for a period of time will create traffic delays. I believe airlines have reduced flights and upped equipment to increase capacity. 

But on a busy evening coming in or an afternoon with strong storms disrupting traffic, people arriving can expect a lot of holding patterns or an unexpected stop at PBI or MIA, while people leaving can expect long lines to take off. 

Edited by Flymia

18 minutes ago, Flymia said:

The expanded south runway opened in September of 2014, 2014 total passenger numbers was 24,600,000 passengers. 2018 total passenger count? 35,900,000! 45% increase in passengers. And thats not because of larger planes as besides for a few new long haul routes most of that are just more flights with narrow body fleets of JetBlue. Southwest and Spirit. Before the runway expansion opened IIRC FLL had horrible ATC delay issues being one of the busiest if not busiest one-runway (for airliners) airport in the U.S. 

The runway was desperately needed, or airlines would have had no choice but to go down I-95 to MIA. Going back down to 1-runway for a period of time will create traffic delays. I believe airlines have reduced flights and upped equipment to increase capacity. 

But on a busy evening coming in or an afternoon with strong storms disrupting traffic, people arriving can expect a lot of holding patterns or an unexpected stop at PBI or MIA, while people leaving can expect long lines to take off. 

The airport can't handle the second runway.....   It's a disaster.  That was my point.  The runway wasn't needed, a limit to flights was needed.  They absolutely should have airlines going to Miami instead or PBI.  FLL is an absolute disaster zone, far too many people and nowhere near the infrastructure to handle it.  We have spent 5+ hours just to get off a plane and through customs before, LITERALLY.  They simply can't handle the crowds and aircraft.  So why in the world did we need a second runway and more crowds and aircraft?

I never noticed any ATC delay issues and have had to wait in much longer lines to take off at other airports compared to FLL when they had 1 runway.

Agree that FLL is a disaster.  I'd much rather fly out of Miami but I would fly to whomever has the cheapest flight.

With Brightline, look at West Palm Beach, Fort Lauderdale, or Miami.

However, we fly Allegiant out of terminal 1 at FLL they are getting a Roccos Tacos!

That means Clase Azul before my flight to visit the breweries!

On ‎6‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 8:46 AM, Flymia said:

We've been flying into FLL every year for 5-6 years now.  No issues whatsoever.  Yeah it's a little run down, but arrivals/departures/car rentals have always been efficient and carefree. Maybe we've been lucky.....:classic_tongue:

For OP:  FLL and MIA are both fine for cruising from MIA.  That said, you're cruising from MIA so try to fly there!

Edited by bouhunter

I always thought Miami had thunderstorms much like FLL.   In fact checking the flight arrival and departure boards I often see delays at Miami and ground stops same as 

FLL.   Choose an airport based on price and carrier.    All airports are Zoos unless you can use an airline club.   Even with that you still have to get through the terminal.

On 6/8/2019 at 8:04 PM, Covepointcruiser said:

I always thought Miami had thunderstorms much like FLL.   In fact checking the flight arrival and departure boards I often see delays at Miami and ground stops same as 

FLL.   Choose an airport based on price and carrier.    All airports are Zoos unless you can use an airline club.   Even with that you still have to get through the terminal.

They both do. But FLL will be cut down to one runway for the next 4-6 months. While MIA has 4 runways. When the storms come in that means ground stop and holding patterns. Many times you'll see diversions to Ft. Myers, Orlando and Nassau if the hold is too long. But its a lot easier to land and takeoff planes on 4 runways once things getting going again compared to 1 runway.