Best ship for 4 year olds?

My twins will be 4.5 when we sail. We are looking at disney, but as we all know, royal is half the price so we have to consider it. My husband and I are platinum on royal so we have know the ins and outs for adults pretty well, but kids are a whole new thing. Is there enough to keep 4.5 year olds happy in the kids club on royal ship? Or do we stick with disney till they are a bit older? Im assuming the newer ships have more by way of little kids stuff. Which ships should i be looking into? We are thinking late August of this year right before they enter 5 day a week pre-k.

Much will depend on the ship you choose.  Adventure Ocean program is similar across the fleet - number enrolled will depend on the ship.   Your kids might not be old enough/big enough for some activities.  It would be helpful if you indicated the ship you are considering. 

Kids definitely don't need Disney to have fun on a cruise ship.  I'd choose what itinerary and price makes you happy and they'll have fun no matter the ship.  I did many cruises with my twins before they were five, mostly on ships that had few bells and whistles - as long as there's a kids club, a pool, etc., they have a great time.  It's a great way to travel with kids.

• Like 1

My son is 4.5 and we just got off Harmony. He liked the water area on that and Anthem equally. He felt the brilliance slide was too slow but that did not bother him either. Brilliance actually had a decent kids splash area too. He likes all pools equally. Harmony had some other fun things for him (namely abyss and the carousel). Adventure Ocean was equivalent for us across the fleet.

Took my kids on many cruises at that age … I would go with Freedom of the Seas - not to big and not too small and not tooo many kids.  The splash zone area is great - I don't recall if there is a carousel on Freedom, and if not, maybe go with Oasis if your kids would enjoy the carousel.

Don't be swayed by waterslides and rock walls and other activities if your kids dont' meet the min height/weight requirement to use those activities.

We took our 4 year old on Oasis 2 years ago and she had a great time.  Her big favorites were the carousel, the kids splash area, the arcades and the Boardwalk Dog House - 3 out of 4 of those are only available on Oasis class ships.  We're taking her on Harmony in a few weeks and she's really excited about many of those same things, plus the water slides and the upgraded kids pool area.  

I don't have a lot to compare it to since we haven't been on many cruises as a family, but our kids are very happy with Oasis class ships so far.

I went on Oasis with my 4 year old niece. Adventure Ocean was pretty much a bust as she only went once and her parents weren't keen on "making" her. She probably road the carousel at least 100 times. They enjoyed the play areas out on Boardwalk. Her 2 year old sister was with us so they both played in that play area for those under 3 in Adventure Ocean. They LOVED the shows in the aquatheater. Also enjoyed the ice skating show and Come Fly with Me or whatever show it was. She also liked the kid pool area and the mini golf. 

After she got home she told her mom she needed to go work so they could go on a cruise again - so I guess they liked it. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kruzerci said:

Enchantment, Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, any Freedom or Oasis class. A 4 year old is not going to know much difference. 

Yes to this.  Your 4 year olds are not going to be that picky I am sure.   It's going to be a HUGE "boat" (yes I know it's a ship)  going to new and exciting places.  Just being on a ship to a 4 year old is going to be a grand enough adventure all in itself.   I am sure you want the kid programs to be enough fun that your 4 year olds enjoy so that you and your SO can have a little adult time.  My nieces have liked it enough to at least spend a little time there each day.  Once they realized they could do kids stuff and not have to "behave" at adult activities, they were all too happy to go.  LOL 
If YOU have a positive attitude about it and talk about how much fun it will be to have a special "club" for kids- it will make them feel so grown up that they are doing something cool.

I agree to most that have suggested the Oasis class ships! There is so much to do from the kids pool area, carousel and other things on the boardwalk, mini golf and more. Plus my kids (6 year old twins when they went on their first cruise, Allure) loved the shows in the Aqua theater and the ice shows. Also you can't beat the price if you can get in during a Kids Sail Free promotion. We are going on Harmony in October--they will be 8.

I agree with all those that have said Oasis class. 

There is so much to see and do - and the kids club area is outstanding (so large and has many different rooms - a science lab and theater even!). 

My daughter was 3.5 on our last Harmony cruise and she literally had the time of her life.  We are sailing again at New Years when she will be almost 4.5 and we have booked Harmony again because she (and the rest of us) loved it so much :)

On 6/3/2019 at 7:27 PM, Kerry's Girls said:

Kids definitely don't need Disney to have fun on a cruise ship.  I'd choose what itinerary and price makes you happy and they'll have fun no matter the ship.  I did many cruises with my twins before they were five, mostly on ships that had few bells and whistles - as long as there's a kids club, a pool, etc., they have a great time.  It's a great way to travel with kids.

I would go with an Oasis class ship - so much to do.  I agree with not having to go with Disney - we're taking a 5 year old on a cruise next Feb to tie in with a Disney land vacation, but our cruise is on Carnival and we decided that it won't matter to him at all.