Global Entry at YVR - Alaskan cruise folks

FlyerTalker

This was mentioned in a prior thread from some years back, but I thought I'd bring back the subject as a new Alaskan season is upon us.

Those with Global Entry tend to think of GE being linked directly with their passport document.  Here's a friendly tip for those flying out of YVR back to the USA:

The priority line for security security screening is specifically labeled for Global Entry and Nexus.  However, in order to use this line, you must show the actual Global Entry or Nexus card.  Merely having it linked to the passport is not sufficient.  So dig out those cards from the desk drawer and take them with you.

After passing through the priority security screening, you will then funnel into the GE/Nexus kiosks.

Two additional notes - even though your boarding pass may say "TSA Pre-Check", that is irrelevant for your screening at YVR.  Screening at YVR is done by the Canadian CATSA, and you follow their rules.  And that means all laptops and tablets out of your bags and in a separate screening bin.  You do get to keep shoes on in the GE line.

Interesting...has this changed? I believe I went through most recently about eight months ago flying YVR-SEA and don't remember having to flash my actual card. Maybe I got lucky...or don't remember correctly.

thanks for the heads up, FTer.   Not an issue for me, as I always have my GE card in my wallet.  I use it for ID instead of my DL whenever I can.

As for PreCheck, I wouldn't expect to get it unless CATSA puts up signs directing TSA PreCheck to a different line.

I am glad FlyerTalker took the time to remind Alaska cruisers. I departed YVR two days ago. GE card was required for the expedited security screening. Card was, of course, not needed for US immigration kiosks. The only reason I even brought my card was because I had read a similar post here some time ago advising such. 

Every now & again I hear about someone not being asked to show their GE/NEXUS card for access to the priority Security queue. Most often these reports are when a family/spouses are traveling together and only the first person's card is checked for. Never experienced it personally though, and this is our home airport, so for both pier and airport purposes bringing the actual card is definitely the way to go.

We disembarked Royal Princess on May 11 and flew home from YVR and this was also our experience - needing to show our cards to pre-clear via expedited screening. I actually had to show my card on more than one occasion to get through the entire process heading to the gate. I always have mine along with me, but I imagine sometimes people are caught by surprise. 

I found YVR, using expedited screening, was a breeze and I flew through all the checkpoints, taking 14 minutes from start to entering the lounge. 

16 hours ago, slidergirl said:

thanks for the heads up, FTer.   Not an issue for me, as I always have my GE card in my wallet.  I use it for ID instead of my DL whenever I can.

As for PreCheck, I wouldn't expect to get it unless CATSA puts up signs directing TSA PreCheck to a different line.

Likewise; I keep my GE card in a pocket in my passport holder, along with other "travel only" cards like my Med Jet Assist card, Priority Pass card, my actual Delta Medallion status card (I've never needed to show it but have always heard some partner lounges want to see it, as opposed to going by what's on the boarding pass).   And in the ID holder on my phone case I swap out my drivers license for my passport card when traveling.

Regarding Pre-Check, you're an experienced flyer, but you've been around these boards long enough to know that inexperienced travelers will often say something along the lines of "I don't need to arrive especially early at international airport X because I'm not checking bags and I have TSA PreCheck."  Then someone has to point out that TSA is a US government program and the US government does not run security at airports outside the US, such as airport X.

Edited by waterbug123
  • Thanks 1

Another reason to always carry your GE card--when I was returning from Ireland a few months ago, the kiosks weren't functioning properly in Dublin--they were working for about every third person.  Those of us who could produce a GE card were manually expedited.  Those who didn't have a card to show were sent through the regular CBP lines.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have GE. If you stay at the YVR Airport Fairmont Hotel and get a Gold room (club floor) they will give you a pass to use the FasTrack Lane. Did it last month and it did make security go much faster just like TSA-Pre. I'll get GE soon.

Interesting, since I had my interview for GE a week ago, and I asked them if I needed the card in order to utilize  GE (leaving soon for Europe).  The CBP officer said No, the card is not necessary to use GE.

8 hours ago, Voelfgar said:

Interesting, since I had my interview for GE a week ago, and I asked them if I needed the card in order to utilize  GE (leaving soon for Europe).  The CBP officer said No, the card is not necessary to use GE.

Correct information. Why do you find that “interesting”?

14 hours ago, Voelfgar said:

I suspect the reason some locations requiring GE cards is to keep non-GE passengers out of the GE lines.  

I can see someone thinking, this line is so long, why don't we get in that really short GE line?  

Short answer - it's a combined queue that runs you through both security screening and immigration.  And the security is done by Canada, not the USA.  And the "chute" post-screening leads directly to GE/Nexus.

Contrast with GE at USA airports - it's immigration first, then customs.  Then, depending on airport, screening with Pre-Check that's printed on your BP.

Exactly as FT says - it's not the Global Entry part that your card is needed for (the kiosks use your passport like normal), but to get into the priority Security queue. CATSA (like Canadian TSA) minions don't have scanners to check your passport is validly linked to a GE/NEXUS account, and the old days of a sticker being put on the passport to prove you had GE at a glance are long gone. The card is the ONLY way that a person can visually confirm you are allowed in the short queue because you have GE. Boarding passes don't work because they all just flag you as 'TSA Pre' - which doesn't prove you have NEXUS or GE...

• Like 1

On 6/23/2019 at 5:53 PM, Voelfgar said:

The reality is that if you have a problem at the kiosk and don't have the GE card with you, you'll be sent to the regular line.  It seems that the people doing the "interviews" really don't have a clue what is actually happening at the check point.