Faster to The Fun price increase.

17 hours ago, hotsauce126 said:

On my last cruise a few weeks ago my boarding time was 12:30. Got to the port at 12:30, walked straight through everything to get on the ship. We checked our suitcases and each had a backpack. We ate lunch, got a drink, and explored the ship for the 45 minutes until the room was ready. When we got to the room at 1:30 our suitcases were already there. We had no tender ports, got the dining time we wanted already, and I never visited guest services. I'm so glad that I didn't waste $90 to spend an extra hour on the ship

I'm with you.  But I like that people do continue to pay for FTTF, maybe, just maybe, this extra revenue flow keeps the prices of cruises down.  

I would never pay $49 for it, let alone $120.  On our 8 night Magic cruise last month (where we had 2 rooms booked) we had 12:30 check in time.  We arrived at the port at 12:15 and walked right on the ship with absolutely no lines.  We went straight to a table in Red Frog Pub (with our one carry-on with our wine/soda/almond milk and prescription drugs in it and our back packs) for a half price fish bowl and some Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ.  By the time we were done eating our room was ready.  We went to guest services after getting back on board in San Juan to put our Carnival Gift cards on our accounts....there was no one in line.  There were no tender ports, we walked right off at all ports with no lines.  We took the last numbered time slots to get off the ship since DS's plane did not leave until 6:30 pm so we were not in a hurry to get off.  We sat in the Ocean Plaza playing Uno until our number was called.  FTTF would have been to no advantage for us and a totally worthless purchase.  I have not seen on any of our past 11 Carnival cruises where it would have been of benefit to us.

Having said that if anyone else see's the benefit to having it then go for it.  It's your money to spend as you see fit.  As long as it keeps selling out, then Carnival will keep raising the prices.....pure supply and demand economics on their part.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ocaladee said:

What is FTTF?   Trying Carnival after 20years.  Not up on what they do

Faster to the Fun is a special program available to select guests after they pay a fee. It grants them priority boarding, priority dining reservations, priority water taxi, express room and luggage and a few other things. 

On 6/6/2019 at 9:28 AM, Warm Breezes said:

I would never pay $49 for it, let alone $120.  On our 8 night Magic cruise last month (where we had 2 rooms booked) we had 12:30 check in time.  We arrived at the port at 12:15 and walked right on the ship with absolutely no lines.  We went straight to a table in Red Frog Pub (with our one carry-on with our wine/soda/almond milk and prescription drugs in it and our back packs) for a half price fish bowl and some Guys Pig and Anchor BBQ.  By the time we were done eating our room was ready.  We went to guest services after getting back on board in San Juan to put our Carnival Gift cards on our accounts....there was no one in line.  There were no tender ports, we walked right off at all ports with no lines.  We took the last numbered time slots to get off the ship since DS's plane did not leave until 6:30 pm so we were not in a hurry to get off.  We sat in the Ocean Plaza playing Uno until our number was called.  FTTF would have been to no advantage for us and a totally worthless purchase.  I have not seen on any of our past 11 Carnival cruises where it would have been of benefit to us.

Having said that if anyone else see's the benefit to having it then go for it.  It's your money to spend as you see fit.  As long as it keeps selling out, then Carnival will keep raising the prices.....pure supply and demand economics on their part.

I disagree that it would not have been an advantage and a totally worthless purchase. It could have been an advantage. You had a little bit later check-in time, so you walked right on, but with FTTF, it wouldn've allowed you to arrive earlier than your check-in, if you so chose, and had priority boarding. It also would've allowed you to put your carry-on and backpacks in your cabin as soon as you boarded. While I'm sure you didn't mind carrying them with you to the pub, it was still an advantage you could've used had you purchased it. You were lucky enough to go to Guest Services when no one was in line. That's not always the case, as many people have had the displeasure of experiencing, including me on multiple occasions. I was grateful for the priority GS line when we had FTTF last year. I'm not trying to convince you that you should try it, to each their own. I'm just saying that it could've been advantageous in certain circumstances had you bought it.

On 6/7/2019 at 6:32 AM, ocaladee said:

What is FTTF?   Trying Carnival after 20years.  Not up on what they do

You can buy a perks package that gives you some of the same perks as platinum/diamond cruisers. Here's more info from Carnival's FAQ's: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/~/faster-to-the-fun-(fttf)

It's included with a cruise's excursions, so if you're interested you have to watch for it to become available for your particular cruise. And they often sell out quickly, so if you want it, buy it when you see it. If you want it and it's sold out, keep checking often. When people cancel a cruise or cancel their FTTF, it gets thrown back into the pool. This can happen at any time, day or night, so you have to check often. A good time to look is around your final payment date because that's when people often cancel their cruise. There's also a chance Carnival will release more for each cruise since it's capacity controlled, based on the number of P/D who book that cruise. If they determine there aren't enough P/D's who've booked, there's a good chance they'll release more FTTF.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

I disagree that it would not have been an advantage and a totally worthless purchase. It could have been an advantage. You had a little bit later check-in time, so you walked right on, but with FTTF, it wouldn've allowed you to arrive earlier than your check-in, if you so chose, and had priority boarding. It also would've allowed you to put your carry-on and backpacks in your cabin as soon as you boarded. While I'm sure you didn't mind carrying them with you to the pub, it was still an advantage you could've used had you purchased it. You were lucky enough to go to Guest Services when no one was in line. That's not always the case, as many people have had the displeasure of experiencing, including me on multiple occasions. I was grateful for the priority GS line when we had FTTF last year. I'm not trying to convince you that you should try it, to each their own. I'm just saying that it could've been advantageous in certain circumstances had you bought it.

Sorry.  I really don't see it that way.  As I said before, this was our 11th Carnival cruise and I don't see where it would have been of an advantage to US on any of them.  As for this last one, we had a pre-arranged shuttle from our hotel at that time.  We had no reason to board any earlier.  We walked onto the shuttle when it arrived at our hotel, and walked off right onto the ship when we got to the port.  As for our carry-ons and back packs we went straight to the Pub and got a table where we sat and ate and drank until our room was ready an hour later.  We then went straight to our rooms.  We did not have any extra carrying time with our stuff and it was not in our way as sat at the table and ate our lunch.  As for the guest services line....that wasn't luck, that was experience.  I know from past experience when the lines are lower on the ship and I wait to go until one of those times.  Not an issue.  Nothing worth spending $120 or $240 (since we had 2 cabins) for.  If you feel it is an advantage to YOU then by all means go for it.  It's your money.  You will not catch me wasting my money on it.  Besides we will become platinum on our Mardi Gras cruise next year so then it really would be a non-issue for us and I can honestly say.....we never needed it anyways.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2019 at 12:39 PM, CheckersMidwest said:

Was just going to say the same thing - I paid $120 early for our Horizon cruise. We usually sail in 2 cabins - and buy it for both. The $50 didn't bother me. I'm not sure I'd pay an extra $240 for it. I love the benefits but that surpasses it's worth.

The fee is for the whole cabin, not a per person charge.

Still, at $120 for the cabin, I don't see the benefit to it.

As someone else said, as a shareholder, go ahead and keep buying it!  I'm ready for an increase in my dividends.

Sorry I have not read each reply.  But, for those who bought this did you like it and was it worth the money.  For our upcoming Elation cruise, it will be $79 per cabin.  We have a check-in time right now for 12:00.  Is getting the pass worth it since we seem to be getting on early.  We have never cruised where we were able to pick a time to check_in on the ship.

Thank you for your opinions......oh we are cruising with five other people.

Sandi

7 minutes ago, sandi1967 said:

Sorry I have not read each reply.  But, for those who bought this did you like it and was it worth the money.  For our upcoming Elation cruise, it will be $79 per cabin.  We have a check-in time right now for 12:00.  Is getting the pass worth it since we seem to be getting on early.  We have never cruised where we were able to pick a time to check_in on the ship.

Sandi

It might be worth it if there is a tender port and you spend a lot of time at Guest Services during the first day when people are asking for upgrades and the last night when people are disputing their bills and removing tips.

I should note that when I go to add it to our cart it gives us a time of check-in 12-1, our check in now without it is from 12-12:30.  Even with the check-in time of 12:00-12:30, would we still potentially be waiting in very long lines??

Thank you,

Sandi

4 minutes ago, sandi1967 said:

I should note that when I go to add it to our cart it gives us a time of check-in 12-1, our check in now without it is from 12-12:30.  Even with the check-in time of 12:00-12:30, would we still potentially be waiting in very long lines??

Thank you,

Sandi

With FTTF even though you must still have a check-in time, you can completely ignore it.  Arrive at the terminal any time you wish.

On 6/4/2019 at 12:18 PM, Kankakee Kid said:

Carnival raising Faster to the Fun to $120. Remember when it was only $49?  I thought it was a rip-off then. Now? For sure. 

Just cheaper to book cheap cruises and get those days to be platinum!! Yes i remember when it was only $49!

2 hours ago, sandi1967 said:

Sandi

Whether or not FTTF is "worth it" is completely subjective, so don't just go by all the negative comments. This topic tends to get heated each and every time it comes up. And it always attracts people who just want to bash the service and the people who buy it, rather than discuss it rationally. So look at it with an open mind to see if it's worth it to you or not.

Look through all of the perks it includes and try to decide which ones you can use. In some cases, like priority tendering, there's times when you can't take advantage of that. Or if you have Your Time Dining, the dining reservations perk doesn't apply. But for us, those things are not a deal breaker. We enjoy it for priority boarding, access to our cabin as soon as we board, and the priority line at Guest Services (which has come in quite handy). If we choose to buy FTTF, it's mainly because we think those 3 things make it worth it to us. But everyone's different. Priority luggage delivery to your cabin is nice, too, but it's not guaranteed. They have so many to deliver to priority passengers that it still might take a few hours. We drive to the home ports, and I like to get off the ship and get on the road afterwards, so taking advantage of an early debarkation is nice too. In the end, it's totally up to you. If you buy it and don't like it, at least you know.

As bury me at sea said, when you buy FTTF, you still have to choose an arrival time. They just put 12:00 as a space filler. Since you are considered a priority passenger with it, you are allowed to arrive at the terminal before your assigned arrival time.

Here's the FTTF info on Carnival's FAQ's: https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1374/kw/fttf

Edited by Organized Chaos

4 hours ago, sandi1967 said:

Sandi

Purchased it once when it was $49.95 and didn’t think it was worth it at that price. We sailed the Dream most recently on 11/25, without FTTF, and our experience was pretty typical of our seven Carnival cruises without FTTF. We boarded immediately after those with FTTF, on board before noon. Easily handled my small carry-on while picking up and eating my Guy’s burger. Rooms were ready for 1pm, right after we finished lunch. Luggage delivered around 2:30pm, easily in time to unpack before safety briefing. Walked right onto the tenders going to and leaving Grand Caymans. Waited in guest services line once for less than 15 minutes because we had time to kill but could have gone early the next day when there was no line. On debarkation day we were in our car and on the road by 8:30am with checked-in luggage. We would have been off sooner if we self-assisted. So, what value would FTTF have provided? 

I refer to FTTF as Carnival’s tax on impatience.

10 hours ago, sandi1967 said:

Sandi

10 hours ago, sandi1967 said:

It is worth it if you need to be one of the first off at a tender port, need to debark the ship early to catch an early flight, or need to get access to your cabin to drop off your carry-ons.

If you don't need any of these things, then I don't think it is worth it. As to the Guest Services lines, we just go at off hours (early morning, late night or right after getting back on board after a day in port).   

• Like 1

I agree with Rose above. It’s nice to be able to go to your cabin early and to be in the priority holding bay at the embarkation terminal. But many people just drop their bags and go right to a lunch venue, then walk around checking out the ship or attend the first activities which are underway early. You can bring a backpack with a change of clothes and swimsuit, use public restrooms and hang out at the pool. It’s not a big inconvenience to wait to get in your room for a hour or two. If you board at or after 1:30 the room is probably ready anyway. Maybe if you have little kids or someone who otherwise really benefits from the comfort of being in a private space right away this value ratio changes for you.

I only visit guest services very rarely and while it’s sort of fun to waltz your fancy self up to the priority window with a little superior glance at the commoners waiting angrily in line, I wouldn’t say it was the highlight of the vacation or anything. Not like I had to be anywhere if I’d had to stand around waiting my rightful turn.

We’ve had it now on both our Carnival cruises and the first had no tender ports and the second had its one tender port cancelled due to rough seas so no value added there. 

We mainly got it for priority debarkation at the end of the cruise to hit the road as early as possible but again this value totally depends on your situation. If you prefer to enjoy one last nice breakfast in the dining room and don’t have urgent transportation issues forcing you off the ship, this is a worthless benefit. You’ve paid to enjoy the ship until they kick you off and some folks take advantage of that fact.

Overall at the current prices I doubt we’ll do it again.

I bought it once when it was cheaper.   Our first cruise, I was a pack mule with all the non-checked stuff for the family.  I was miserable and sore.  

When we did get it, it was SO nice to be able to go straight to our room, drop everything extra, put swim trunks on and be in the pool with a mojito by a little after 11am.  I remember seeing a guy carrying a lot of stuff around thinking "yup...been there."   I did get to make use of the guest services speed line once.   Tender priority was not a reason as that port we had an excursion that gave us priority.

I'm still debating on this for our cruise next week, since it seemed to pop up as available again.  Something about being able to walk around without all that stuff is nice.  Makes that first day seem so much better, at least until muster drill.  But pricewise, I think it has reached a point where a deck chair and a mojito sounds just as good.  Plus I've learned to travel a lot lighter!!!

FTTF is always going to be one of those things that people either love or hate.  For those that get it, it is worth the money in their mind.  For those that don't, they save that money.  I've done both and frankly I like the perks.  I am the type of person that likes to be early.  I can't relax till I'm on the ship so the idea of getting to port when I want is something I like.  I enjoy getting on the ship first, going right to our rooms, and being unpacke and bag free before the majority of people are even on the ship.  That way we go out and enjoy drinks and lunch while others are still boarding and toting their bags around.  It has also saved me more than once at customer service

It always boils down to: the worth is in the eye of the beholder.  For those that get it, I completely understand and I'm there with you.  For those that don't, I also get it. 

2 hours ago, ishap said:

I am the type of person that likes to be early.  I can't relax till I'm on the ship so the idea of getting to port when I want is something I like. 

Wow...I think you just summarized why I'm still debating it.    My wife asked me Monday if I was excited about the cruise next week and I said no.   I have to get us to FLL, from FLL to our hotel in Miami, from there to the port, figure out how to get places to eat, etc.   Too many logistical issues overwhelm me.    I guess I look at FTTF as one less issue to deal with - pay a little coin and I don't have to worry about the difference between hotel checkout time vs port arrival time (mind you - just thought of that little gotcha - not that it's not something that I could solve easy 🙂  )

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Sabalon said:

Wow...I think you just summarized why I'm still debating it.    My wife asked me Monday if I was excited about the cruise next week and I said no.   I have to get us to FLL, from FLL to our hotel in Miami, from there to the port, figure out how to get places to eat, etc.   Too many logistical issues overwhelm me.    I guess I look at FTTF as one less issue to deal with - pay a little coin and I don't have to worry about the difference between hotel checkout time vs port arrival time (mind you - just thought of that little gotcha - not that it's not something that I could solve easy 🙂  )

And that is probably part of the reason I see it as a waste of money.  I like planning out the logistics of getting where we need to go and when we have to be there.  I like to make it all part of the vacation.  I'm a flexible planner and always have been.  I've done it so many times between FLL and MIA, I pretty much have it down with my favorite places to stay, eat, and ways to get around.  We are also a patient and go with the flow type of family.  I've never had anything pop up that has made me second guess my decision not to get FTTF.

1 hour ago, Sabalon said:

That's a good point.  I used the hotel's shuttle service for my Vista cruise in Florida.  By the time I checked my bags at the terminal and got to the line to get in, I missed my appointment time by five minutes and they made me go to the early/late line.  I much prefer arriving early, boarding early, taking my carry-ons to my room, and having lunch while other people are still waiting to board.  I also don't mind paying for it.  I like the special line at guest services so I don't have to deal with finding a less crowded time.  I like priority with tenders and also when it's time to walk off of the ship.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, TNcruising02 said:

That's a good point.  I used the hotel's shuttle service for my Vista cruise in Florida.  By the time I checked my bags at the terminal and got to the line to get in, I missed my appointment time by five minutes and they made me go to the early/late line.  I much prefer arriving early, boarding early, taking my carry-ons to my room, and having lunch while other people are still waiting to board.  I also don't mind paying for it.  I like the special line at guest services so I don't have to deal with finding a less crowded time.  I like priority with tenders and also when it's time to walk off of the ship.

Exactly!  I am a planner.  I enjoy the logistical planning of traveling and enjoy traveling, but I still always worry about getting there, getting there on time, etc.  So, this sums it up.  Paying $119 six months before the cruise...I won't miss the money...so the peace of mind it gives me is worth it.

But the FTTF debate will always be there and there are always arguments for both sides.  Bottom line is that chances are Carnival will continue raising prices until people stop buying it.  I will eventually hit the upper limit of what I'm willing to pay, but it's not there yet.

• Like 2