Paying it forward

doverboy

I traveled the Danube in 2016 and spent time post cruise in Europe and London. I attempted to turn in all of my loose accumulated change and currency at Heathrow but was told that after the service fee was taken into account, there wasn't much to do other than place it all in a collection box in the terminal. We always bring some foreign currency home for our kids and it seemed like a stupid idea to leave it in a charity box in Heathrow. I recently connected with someone headed on a future Danube cruise and I am sending the left over currency to him. It isn't a lot but it will be enough for a tip or 2 or a couple of cups of coffee in an airport. This got me to thinking "What If" we all did something similar? There were 130 =/- passengers on my ship, there were lots of ships that passed us on the same itinerary, there are countless contributors to Cruise Critic boards, "What If" we all paid it forward with the collected loose change?  In the future you could pick someone out from the CC board or a roll call and send them something that holds little value sitting in a drawer, and they could pass it on after their vacation.  It would not be about the value of the amount forwarded, just returning the currency to the country of origin.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, doverboy said:

I traveled the Danube in 2016 and spent time post cruise in Europe and London. I attempted to turn in all of my loose accumulated change and currency at Heathrow but was told that after the service fee was taken into account, there wasn't much to do other than place it all in a collection box in the terminal. 

Mailing loose change to some random future river cruiser may well cost more in postage than the coins are worth. River cruisers are virtually by definition economically in the top 1% of the world’s population and hardly in need of charity from other river cruisers. You have already identified a far easier, more economically feasible and more worthy destination for this money - the Red Cross collection box at the airport. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, TravelerThom said:

Mailing loose change to some random future river cruiser may well cost more in postage than the coins are worth. River cruisers are virtually by definition economically in the top 1% of the world’s population and hardly in need of charity from other river cruisers. You have already identified a far easier, more economically feasible and more worthy destination for this money - the Red Cross collection box at the airport. 

I didn't realize I didn't belong on my trip since I am far from the top 1%. The CEO of the American Red Cross certainly fits that description however, at $500,000 per anum.  I will pay mine forward

• Like 1

The other option is to give it to coworkers/friends or arrange to sell it to them. I work in a University setting where there are always people coming and going. Right before I left, someone gave me their Euro change as they didn't know when they would make it back. Most of my retired friends seem to travel more than they are home. I hope I become one of them 🙂 

I try and leave some as a tip, whether on the boat or the last hotel stay.  If on ship, they'll be some Euro bills as well after that long a  stay (and we're typically well taken care of by the maids).

AND, I always bring home 100-150 Euros.  Not sure if I'm in the 1%, but I am lucky enough to know I'll be going back to Europe.  If you use public transportation from the airport, it's great to know you can get a ticket even if the ticket machine doesn't like your card. 

• Like 2

I think you have a great idea and you can send it to me!  

Seriously we were in Europe last 9 years ago and spent the last of it in the airport on food and a toy for the grand.  We didn’t want to bring any of it back.

5 hours ago, ural guy said:

I try and leave some as a tip, whether on the boat or the last hotel stay.  If on ship, they'll be some Euro bills as well after that long a  stay (and we're typically well taken care of by the maids).

AND, I always bring home 100-150 Euros.  Not sure if I'm in the 1%, but I am lucky enough to know I'll be going back to Europe.  If you use public transportation from the airport, it's great to know you can get a ticket even if the ticket machine doesn't like your card. 

I agree with you. I have close to that amount (if not a little bit more) from my last cruise to Europe, which was last summer.

I am taking another cruise in October and will be bringing these "leftovers" with me. I am sailing out of

Venice so I will be able to use all of it.

As for paying things forward? If one can help with the local community where they live? That would be my thought on it.

• Like 1

I am the person that he is sending his change to.. and as for being in the top 1%.. you are so off track.. I am a disabled USAF vet . and there is no way I would ever ever be able to do a river cruise if we didn't win the cruise..   I am thankful for his offer .. and I would never ask for a hand out ..

Rev. Thomas M.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

I am the person that he is sending his change to.. and as for being in the top 1%.. you are so off track.. I am a disabled USAF vet . and there is no way I would ever ever be able to do a river cruise if we didn't win the cruise..   I am thankful for his offer .. and I would never ask for a hand out ..

Rev. Thomas M.

Thank you for your service. 

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, thunter1224 said:

... and as for being in the top 1%.. you are so off track.. 

An annual income of US$ 33,000 puts one in the top 1% of the world’s population. Perhaps you have less income than that, but there are very few river cruisers who don’t make that cut. Unless you can provide evidence that substantial numbers of river cruisers aren’t in that top 1% I will not accept that I am “so off track”. 

Congratulations on winning your cruise and I hope you enjoy cruising the rivers as much as I do. 

• 5 weeks later...

I still think it is a nice offer.. And since I never received it.  I hope you either changed your mind or just have not sent it .. and it didn't get lost in the mail 🙂   if you would like me to pay you shipping I would be happy to . 

Thank You 

Rev. Thomas

Still sitting on the counter. I am so sorry, I look at it every day and think 'tomorrow".  I will get it out by week's end.  Been looking for some paper money that I know I brought back but can't place in my hands.  I have shrink wrapped Euros and Forints so they don't rattle around in the package

• Like 1

We are fortunate to have a currency exchange that buys back all your paper currency at the rate of purchase (no service charges) if you return it within 30 days of purchase. 

7 hours ago, doverboy said:

Still sitting on the counter. I am so sorry, I look at it every day and think 'tomorrow".  I will get it out by week's end.  Been looking for some paper money that I know I brought back but can't place in my hands.  I have shrink wrapped Euros and Forints so they don't rattle around in the package

I did give you my address right ?  Thank You again.we are just under 90 days 🙂

1 hour ago, Senga said:

We are fortunate to have a currency exchange that buys back all your paper currency at the rate of purchase (no service charges) if you return it within 30 days of purchase. 

Where?

1 hour ago, Senga said:

calforex currency exchange.  They also have much better rates than the banks.

I use them, and I agree. I thought they only buy back half of what you exchanged, however, but I’ve never used the buyback service. 

The only criteria is you spend a TOTAL of $1000.  It can be a combination which works for our Budapest (Hungarian currency)  to Amsterdam (euro) trip.  Scenic IS apparently all inclusive so we won’t need that much but knowing it will be returned without any loss makes it worthwhile.