Dress code especially for Alaska

bmct

2 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Are you saying you skipped formal night dinners in the MDR simply because you brought only casual attire? 

You missed out on some of the better meals by doing so. 

Put on something with a collar, wear long pants and you’ll be just fine on formal night.  Anywhere on the ship. 

It's sad that some people on this board would like to convince the newbies that they must be dressed up in order to eat dinner in the DR. 

Like you said, "Put on something with a collar, wear long pants and you’ll be just fine on formal night.  Anywhere on the ship."

A lot of it must be the way Princess worded it dress suggestions when in fact they are very lenient on the ships. 

btw- I wear it proudly. 

Edited by MissP22
  • Like 3

If anyone could let me know what nights are formal so we could reserve the specialty restaurants it would be greatly appreciated. Traveling on the Grand Princess from San Fran on the10 day Tracy Arm Fjord cruise. Spending two nights in Yosemite and two nights in San Fran and don’t really want to pack formal wear. We already need to pack heavily. Thanks.

Princess would do everyone a favor if they got rid of formal nights and go with the optional "dress to impress" nights like they have on the shorter cruises. That way the folks who want to dress up will still have an occasion to do so but no reason to criticize those who observe the reality that Princess isn't inclined to enforce its current guidelines strictly. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rileydogg66 said:

If anyone could let me know what nights are formal so we could reserve the specialty restaurants it would be greatly appreciated. Traveling on the Grand Princess from San Fran on the10 day Tracy Arm Fjord cruise. Spending two nights in Yosemite and two nights in San Fran and don’t really want to pack formal wear. We already need to pack heavily. Thanks.

No need to get bring clothes just for formal nights. You can eat in the MDR with long pants, collared shirt and nice shoes. Enjoy your cruise and your meals.  Why spend more on food when there is no need.

Also be aware that there are self serve laundry facilities on the ships. You use your cruise card to get tokens and you can bring your own laundry soap.

Edited by Potstech

For the past few years we have cruised predominantly on HAL,  but next year we have a Princess cruise to Hawaii booked (our first as Platinum on Princess).

HAL has really relaxed their formal night clothing suggestions - basically men are fine in long pants and a collared shirt.  

My husband usually adds a tie.  So - long pants, dress shirt, and a tie - acceptable on Princess now?  He wants to be respectful of the guidelines but avoid taking a suit if possible. 

• Like 2

On 6/6/2019 at 7:27 PM, geoherb said:

I'm trying to decide whether to bring a sports coat on my Island Princess cruises later this month. I may just wear a dress shirt with a tie and slacks on the formal nights. 

OP must have dug that dress code from ancient Princess archives.  😀

Have you considered wearing a guayabera for formal nights?  That’s what I do, and will do, on my next World Cruise.

You can always rent a tux once on board if you feel the need to do so.

Good luck. And enjoy.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 hour ago, Daisyloo said:

For the past few years we have cruised predominantly on HAL,  but next year we have a Princess cruise to Hawaii booked (our first as Platinum on Princess).

HAL has really relaxed their formal night clothing suggestions - basically men are fine in long pants and a collared shirt.  

My husband usually adds a tie.  So - long pants, dress shirt, and a tie - acceptable on Princess now?  He wants to be respectful of the guidelines but avoid taking a suit if possible. 

That will work.

Even a guayabera or Polo seems to be sufficient for formal nights without the tie on Princess in the last few years.

1 hour ago, Daisyloo said:

Yes fully acceptable by ship's personnel

1 hour ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

OP must have dug that dress code from ancient Princess archives.  😀

Have you considered wearing a guayabera for formal nights?  That’s what I do, and will do, on my next World Cruise.

You can always rent a tux once on board if you feel the need to do so.

Good luck. And enjoy.

I do not think that Princess rents Tuxedos once on board. You have to make those arrangements prior to departure.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

Are you saying you skipped formal night dinners in the MDR simply because you brought only casual attire? 

You missed out on some of the better meals by doing so. 

Put on something with a collar, wear long pants and you’ll be just fine on formal night.  Anywhere on the ship. 

That is correct.  We did not want to be disrespectful to those who wanted to look especially nice and we would have felt out of place I am sure.

It was fine.  One night we got stuff to bring back to our suite so we could watch a movie.  The other night we went to the buffet and my dessert that night was getting something from Slice Coffee Cones.  We did not feel like we missed out on anything really.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

We did not feel like we missed out on anything really.

You may not feel that you missed anything but the DR usually has some of the better meals & desserts on formal evenings.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Lindaru said:

That is correct.  We did not want to be disrespectful to those who wanted to look especially nice and we would have felt out of place I am sure.

It was fine.  One night we got stuff to bring back to our suite so we could watch a movie.  The other night we went to the buffet and my dessert that night was getting something from Slice Coffee Cones.  We did not feel like we missed out on anything really.

If you are happy, that’s fantastic. Life is good!

• Like 2

On 6/7/2019 at 1:32 PM, Ep010835 said:

Dress CODE = Dress SUGGESTION 

Be comfortable and enjoy your cruise. 

I really like Dress Suggested. I prefer to dress for dinner and but on a cold weather cruise would never judge someone who is not. Bobbi

On Regal in Baltic this cruise, I did not receive so much as a side-eye from any of the HW's and even the MD was by the table on formal night 1 (as I had requested a table change).  High level of Asian groups on board this trip, plus Europeans of course.  Plenty of jackets, various female dress, and some casual dress.  I had long pants and a LS higher-end shirt on. 

As for those who mention missing better food items, there have been some interesting, new, and good food items on other nights.  Tonight on formal two, I ordered the Beef Wellington and I probably told myself last time I ordered it, I should not again, as the quality of beef is not the same as it was and I may as well wait for my CG visit.  There were other choices.  Folks get excited about the lobster on formal night two, but the two large prawns are missing and not exactly lobster to die for (my wife had one tail as an app to another meal choice).

I don't recall ever checking the Horizon Court out on formal night (two for sure).  We went up after dinner to use a table to play cards with our friends and I checked out the food.  They also serve the Beef Wellington up there and a Sous Chef told me they have it every time for FN #2.  There was also a Mongolian Beef setup that looked interesting and he said they often have that as well on FN's. 

I saw same tomato soup app as well in the buffet.  Also, the Petit Fours in MDR were not as good/interesting as they used to e IMO.

Just sayin'.

• Like 2

We used to enjoy dressing up for Formal Nights --- or at least we thought we did. Now, we are much more relaxed in our dress, and we don't miss it at all. Last cruise we actually talked about what a relief it was not to have to drag all the fancy clothes with us. Surprised ourselves, it used to be a highlight of our cruise. Times have changed and I guess we have too.

• Like 2

On ‎6‎/‎6‎/‎2019 at 8:17 PM, bmct said:

Getting ready to cruise to Alaska, and  have questions about the dress code.

Princess.com says:   Before opting for vacuum-sealed bags and travel-sized toothbrushes, cruisers may want to thoroughly research their cruise destination as well as the activities available on board. Princess Cruises offers a number of formal dining nights during which ties and coats are mandatory. While some ships provide rental services, male travelers may want to add suit jackets and slacks to their packing list. Women, on the other hand, should bring along dresses made with wrinkle-free fabric, which will survive long hours stuffed in a suitcase. Passengers need not worry about having too few clothes, however, because each ship is outfitted with onboard laundry service.

Jacket and tie for formal night dinners?  Last time we went, which was a few years ago, the Hubby got away with pants, collared shirt, and cardigan.  Will he really need a tie?

I'd pack one just in case & try out the first night & see how it goes. Definitely some warm clothing for the deck at night, other than that pretty much "smart casual" will likely work. Potstech suggested to me a vest with or without tie looks pretty cool & he's right. I bring several vests & mix & match.

Edited by keithm
additions

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/8/2019 at 5:00 AM, rileydogg66 said:

You are expected to dress up in the specialty restaurants, not formal but not sloppy.

9 hours ago, brisalta said:

You are expected to dress up in the specialty restaurants, not formal but not sloppy.

Where is this written.....we often eat in the specialty restaurants and the dress seems more relaxed compared to almost anywhere else on the ship and we have never seen anyone turned away at the door for what they were wearing....???

2 hours ago, PrincessLuver said:

Where is this written.....we often eat in the specialty restaurants and the dress seems more relaxed compared to almost anywhere else on the ship and we have never seen anyone turned away at the door for what they were wearing....???

I don't think anyone would be turned away unless they were possibly wearing shorts. I believe it falls under the casual dress code rule.

1 hour ago, Potstech said:

I have seen shorts in the Crown Grill. 

Not any of the times we've been to any of them but now that you say so, my DH will be asking about it in the fall for both Sabatini's & the Crown grill. I'll be sure to let him know. 

I'm perfectly OK with a pair of casual jeans.