Tommy Bahama

doccide

7 hours ago, Floridiana said:

What, no photos? 😉 (Did anybody see the smiley?)

Not sure what that is suppose to be.  A wink?  To me a smiley is 😁 🙂 😀  Had I seen a smiley, I likely would have taken your comment as a joke.  Instead, I took it as an attempt to resurrect a very miserable thread (as others are clearly doing) with photos of what they think are capris but are definitely not.  Honestly, I have not seen a man wearing pants as depicted above except on a beach.  The shirt, OTOH, is fine (which is the subject of this thread).

I was speaking with my DH and a male friend about this topic and we all decided (men included) that men are not the best people to ask when it comes to female fashion.  However, women know very well how men look best.  Could be why I pack and purchase most of my DH's clothing (only his cruise wear - at home he looks pretty much like a schlump - I roll my eyes and ignore it...... maybe this is why we are 4 months away from our 40th anniversary).  

Edited by Travelcat2

1 minute ago, doccide said:

My real question was are TB shirts  TOO casual for dinner, thanks for your resplies

Sorry that you had to go through a mild version of a "dress code thread".  This really should not be occurring.  While TB shirts are not too casual for dinner, most men do wear dress shirts (long sleeved) when they dine at specialty restaurants and the nights of the Captain's Reception.  Just want to share that so that you know this in advance (although you can still wear TB, you may be a minority in these cases).

Hope that you enjoy your Regent cruise.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I was speaking with my DH and a male friend about this topic and we all decided (men included) that men are not the best people to ask when it comes to female fashion.  However, women know very well how men look best.

Ooooh is that sexist or what? 😂😂😂   (Just a joke(?) for those who take some of the thread comments too seriously).  Lighten up folks!  There is more to life than  than Tommy Bahamas, capris or Cruise Critic.

Edited by 1985rz1

1 hour ago, Travelcat2 said:

Not sure what that is suppose to be.  A wink?  To me a smiley is 😁 🙂 😀  Had I seen a smiley, I likely would have taken your comment as a joke.  Instead, I took it as an attempt to resurrect a very miserable thread (as others are clearly doing) with photos of what they think are capris but are definitely not.  Honestly, I have not seen a man wearing pants as depicted above except on a beach.  The shirt, OTOH, is fine (which is the subject of this thread).

I was speaking with my DH and a male friend about this topic and we all decided (men included) that men are not the best people to ask when it comes to female fashion.  However, women know very well how men look best.  Could be why I pack and purchase most of my DH's clothing (only his cruise wear - at home he looks pretty much like a schlump - I roll my eyes and ignore it...... maybe this is why we are 4 months away from our 40th anniversary).  

A definition from an internet search:  "A winking smiley face can mean flirting, more commonly it is used for jokes. It depends on the situation really."  The post with the winking smiley was later followed by a few posts with some humorous aspects. Somehow I don't think anyone was flirting, but I one never knows. 😉

I don't think anyone actually disagreed about the policy on Regent so I'm uncertain how others are trying to resurrect a miserable thread.  I do think some posters might be trying to inject a bit of humor!  😉

And despite the earlier admonition that posters should only comment with some version of aye, nay, or okay, now we have yet another topic introduced:  who is best able to determine how men or women look best?  I'm just having a bit of difficulty following the seeming twists and turns of the logic about what should be posted.

My thought is that if one doesn't want these dress code threads or other threads to keep going on and on, then don't keep them alive with new postings and don't criticize posters because it simply invites more back and forth.

• Like 1

I wasn’t going to post again but have to respond because now my light humor (my DH and friend) was being taken seriously 😈 It definitely was not meant to be.  Since posters wanted to lighten things up, I made the men vs. woman comment.  Of course it isn’t true - that would be a huge generalization.

To me this just proves how easily the written word (smilie) can be misinterpreted.  

Edited by Travelcat2

The overarching requirement for the dress code in the evenings on Regent is “Elegant-Casual”.

If you feel that a TB shirt, Polo shirt or Capris fits that description then fine (and there will be no reason for you to be challenged by the restaurant or bar staff)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I wasn’t going to post again but have to respond because now my light humor (my DH and friend) was being taken seriously 😈 It definitely was not meant to be.  Since posters wanted to lighten things up, I made the men vs. woman comment.  Of course it isn’t true - that would be a huge generalization.

To me this just proves how easily the written word (smilie) can be misinterpreted.  

Best to leave the comedy to the comedian.🤡

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

However, women know very well how men look best.  Could be why I pack and purchase most of my DH's clothing (only his cruise wear - at home he looks pretty much like a schlump - I roll my eyes and ignore it...... maybe this is why we are 4 months away from our 40th anniversary).  

Couldn't help but laugh at this, TC, since I do the same.  I would never use a word like schlump, he always looks okay since I do buy his clothing, except for his jeans, and that's a bit of a disputed subject here...we are 11 months from #40.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Couldn't help but laugh at this, TC, since I do the same.  I would never use a word like schlump, he always looks okay since I do buy his clothing, except for his jeans, and that's a bit of a disputed subject here...we are 11 months from #40.

The term schlump is likely too harsh.  We live in a small city near miles of farmland so people here dress ultra casually.  Perhaps this is a reason why I enjoy seeing people looking well groomed and dressed nicely on ships.

I did want to mention for anyone new to Regent that, while Tommy Bahama and Hawaiian shirts are certainly permitted, you will be in the minority.  Some men wear suit and ties or slacks and blazers every night -- some men wear polo shirts and the rest wear dress shirts and slacks.  I would guess that the majority of men wear slacks and a short of long sleeved button down shirt.

Speaking only for my DH, he has changed how he dresses onboard (no input from me on this).  After years of wearing suits and ties at work, he would not wear them onboard.  Suddenly he started wearing sports jackets and then, he decided that a tux now and then was fine also.  So, rather than becoming more casual, he became more formal.  So, when some posters feel that the younger generation is going more and more casual, it is possible that they will enjoy getting dressed up as they age.  No way to predict really.

2 hours ago, Travelcat2 said:

I did want to mention for anyone new to Regent that, while Tommy Bahama and Hawaiian shirts are certainly permitted, you will be in the minority.  Some men wear suit and ties or slacks and blazers every night -- some men wear polo shirts and the rest wear dress shirts and slacks.  I would guess that the majority of men wear slacks and a short of long sleeved button down shirt.

On our two Regent cruises so far, TB and polo shirts were not in the minority, though we were on two warm weather sailings...   Amazon, and Western Caribbean.

7 minutes ago, RJ2002 said:

On our two Regent cruises so far, TB and polo shirts were not in the minority, though we were on two warm weather sailings...   Amazon, and Western Caribbean.

Interesting.  We do to sail the Caribbean (except when the ship has to pass through there - like on the way to and from the Amazon).  I do not recall the dress being much different on our Amazon cruise (November 2017) but each sailing is unique.

Greetings from Gythion, Greece.  On Voyager now and there are a lot of TB or similar shirts being worn every night on board.  I’d say blazers in general are few and far between, unless it’s in the specialty restaurants.    For me,  I make sure i have a collar and pants each night, unless we are doing a specialty restaurant where I’ll wear a blazer.   

• Like 1

On 6/8/2019 at 9:59 PM, doccide said:

My real question was are TB shirts  TOO casual for dinner, thanks for your resplies

In a word, "No".  Wear your TB shirts and enjoy the comfort.  I usually take 5 or 6 TB shirts on a cruise with me, I wear them all the time.  No one has ever said a word to me, nor have I seen any rolled-eyes or similar.  If they meet the dress code (they do) and you like them (I'm guessing you do since you asked the question) then by all means, rock those TBs!

:classic_biggrin:

PS - I just noticed that I'm wearing one of my Tommys in my profile pic.  I also look like I'm contemplating whether it's acceptable or not...

Edited by UUNetBill
Added PS
  • Like 2

On 6/8/2019 at 9:59 PM, doccide said:

I'm only going to speak from my own experience.  I've done one Regent cruise, 44 nights from Honolulu to Sydney last Nov.-Dec.  The first 4 weeks, Honolulu to Aukland was all South Pacific.  The dress on that portion was definitely more "beachy" and casual.  I have a variety of Tommy Bahama shirts.  Some are very subtle and I had no problem wearing them at night.  The one's with more of a design, I chose not to wear.  There were men who wore these shirts though.   

The last 2 weeks of the cruise, Aukland to Sydney was a totally different experience.  Much older crowd, and much more dressy.  A lot more jackets, suits, and some tuxes.   I would did not wear a TB shirt on that portion.   It was a colder weather cruise and not "beachy."   

So, I would say, a subtle TB shirt is fine.  A more decorated one, I would say depending on the cruise.  In the Caribbean or South Pacific, probably will be seen.  Other cruises maybe not. 

Not recommending or judging in any way, simply my own observations. 

papaflamingo - your experience is very similar to ours.  We likely do not see many men in tropical shirts because we tend to not go to tropical places anymore.  The one thing that we notice a lot is that people from the U.K. tend to dress up at night (suits, etc.). I know that this is a generalization but we have noticed this on most cruises.

I would have to agree that in my observation, people from the U.K. tend to dress more conservatively on cruises, with many men wearing sports jackets and sometimes suits, with women in cocktail dresses, and dresses in general.  It's a long time since I saw anyone in a tux on a cruise, truth be told, oh, except the maitre'd of course.

There are tuxedos on "Formal Optional" nights (cruises over 15 nights) but not a whole lot of them.  Again, it depends upon where in the world you are cruising.  

To be honest, even though it is acceptable to wear polo shirts, TB shirts, etc. on "Formal Optional" nights, it looks a bit odd when a table of 8 (for instance) to see someone in a tuxedo next to someone wearing a polo shirt but it does happen.

2 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

To be honest, even though it is acceptable to wear polo shirts, TB shirts, etc. on "Formal Optional" nights, it looks a bit odd when a table of 8 (for instance) to see someone in a tuxedo next to someone wearing a polo shirt but it does happen.

It'd sure happen if I was sitting at that table.   :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, ronrick1943 said:

Or they could take the Tux Jacket & Tie off, when should you be uncomfortable 🤗😂

That would be a great look (if you took the shirt off as well).  Or maybe just a tie.....for the more formal look. 🙃

Edited by Travelcat2