HAL cruises from Tampa

FLsealegs

I was very unhappy to hear that Holland America will no longer be sailing from Tampa.  I did call HAL, and the rep did not know why or if they would resume sailing from Tampa in the future.  Does anyone have any info on this?

This happened right after they announced the sale of the Prinsendam.   They moved the Rotterdam over to Europe, and dumped all Tampa itineraries.   Maybe now that the Veendam has been booted out of the Cuban itineraries, maybe HAL will move it to Tampa and resume the eastern & western Caribbean itineraries.   Veendam was their designated Cuba ship, and now that is history, maybe HAL will re-think Tampa.

I too am hopeful that Veendam will be re-deployed to Tampa.  Keeping her in FLL on a Wednesday to Wednesday 7 night rotation is just feasable (financially) if there is nothing to drive a fare premium, like Cuba.  I'd love to see HAL put her on a mix of 7, 14 and 21 day itineraries like Rotterdam was doing from TPA.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, TAD2005 said:

This happened right after they announced the sale of the Prinsendam.   They moved the Rotterdam over to Europe, and dumped all Tampa itineraries.   Maybe now that the Veendam has been booted out of the Cuban itineraries, maybe HAL will move it to Tampa and resume the eastern & western Caribbean itineraries.   Veendam was their designated Cuba ship, and now that is history, maybe HAL will re-think Tampa.

That's a possibility ok, however Veendam was alternating between Cuba and Eastern Caribbean out of Port Everglades during the 'Cuba Season'.  To move to Tampa would mean cancelling the Eastern Caribbean cruises from PE.  They are currently still available to book although January, February and March 2020 are not available to book.

The Rotterdam used to do 7, 14, & 21 day cruises out of Tampa.  The 14 day itinerary was Key West, San Juan, St. Thomas, Antigua,  St. Lucia,  Curacao, Aruba & Grand Cayman, then back to Tampa.  A '"Circle Caribbean" cruise.   The 7 day was Key West, Honduras, Guatemala, and Costa Maya Mexico.   You could combine the 14 and 7 day into a B2B for a nice 21 day cruise with lots of relaxing sea days.   We did that in March 2016 on the Rotterdam and it was great.   There is a huge typical HAL demographic on the west coast of Florida, and Georgia, Alabama, and other southeastern states who hate travelling to the zoo of south Florida and Port Everglades. 

• Like 1

We were also sad to see the Rotterdam leave Tampa as we live just 45 minutes from the Port of Tampa. We cancelled our Veendam Cuba cruise the other day and wondered if it was a possibility to bring the Veendam to Tampa. It fits the size of ship that can fit under the Sunshine Bridge. We dislike having to drive to Ft. Lauderdale for our HAL cruises.

The fog is a problem and can make the ships late and disappoint guests.  But the revitalized St Pete waterfront area is so nice and the flights are reasonable for us.  

There are a couple of restaurants and a beach around the naval station in Santo Tomas De Castilla.  With some investment and a few shuttles (and the government on board) they could put in a modest semi private development for local shore excursions.  

Edited by ew101

There are several older Tampa posts regarding HAL not sailing from there.

Yes, many of us hope Seattle will return to Tampa sailings. 

With all the huge ships using Ft Lauderdale and Miami, I think HAL's smaller ships would do better from Tampa.  Going to the smaller ports as well; not Cozumel and those with too many ships/people.

We are also disappointed that HAL will no longer be sailing from Tampa; it was our yearly guaranteed cruise, as we live less than an hour away.  We have been on 7, 14 , and 21 day cruises , so it fit whatever schedule we had for that particular year.  Veendam did sail out of Tampa several years ago, but I can't remember when; I think it was after the Ryndam, which was tin Tampa for years.

We haven't sailed out of Tampa since we did a B2B on the Zaandam in Jan 2011.  The itineraries were both western Carib. but only had one repeat port:  Key West.  Ok with us since we like visiting KW.  In the first week we stopped at Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.  During the second week we stopped at Belize, Roatan, and Costa Maya.  I think it was the first time we visited most of those ports so a great cruise, plus we loved the Zaandam and its crew/staff.

On 6/8/2019 at 6:20 PM, Krazy Kruizers said:

We also enjoyed sailing out of Tampa.

With Cuba no longer available, who knows what may happen in the future.

All we can do is watch and see what happens.

I just got back two days ago from a cruise and I must be out of the loop.  No more cruises to Cuba????  I also wish HAL would return to Tampa.

The best was the Oosterdam out of Tampa, we sailed her December 2016. It is larger than the Rotterdam with many more balconies. It was also newer. It only sailed out of Tampa that winter. It was a great cruise and a great ship. 

7 hours ago, Kay240 said:

Veendam did sail out of Tampa several years ago, but I can't remember when;

I sailed the Veendam out of Tampa in February 2003 and February 2009, so it was during that decade at least that the Veendam called Tampa its winter home.

43 minutes ago, sunonfire said:

The best was the Oosterdam out of Tampa, we sailed her December 2016. It is larger than the Rotterdam with many more balconies. It was also newer. It only sailed out of Tampa that winter. It was a great cruise and a great ship. 

My PCC said they had to offer too many discounts to fill the Oosterdam out of Tampa.  They were hoping Rotterdam, smaller ship, wouldn't need as many discounts. Then they sold Prinsendam.

18 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

My PCC said they had to offer too many discounts to fill the Oosterdam out of Tampa.  They were hoping Rotterdam, smaller ship, wouldn't need as many discounts. Then they sold Prinsendam.

I was told that they could not fill the ship. I told HAL I found out about the cruise from cruise critic. I was booked on the Koningsdam and I canceled it to book the Oosterdam. There was no local advertising for Oosterdam out of Tampa. How were they going to sell cabins if people were not aware that HAL had a newer and bigger ship sailing from Tampa.

We also cruised the Oosterdam from Tampa in November, 2016.   21 days and a great cruise.   We were on the Rotterdam from Tampa in 2018 for a similar itinerary.   The problem with the Rotterdam is the cabins they call Vista Suites, with correspondingly higher suite prices, would be considered just plain veranda cabins on the Oosterdam and other Vista class ships.  The cabins are a wee bit longer, and so are the balconies but they are a far cry from a similar priced Signature Suite on the larger ships.   Unfortunately, the Veendam is also configured the same way, Veranda cabins being called Vista Suites and priced accordingly.   The only benefit you get with a Vista Suite on a ship like the Veendam or Rotterdam is the double day credits for Mariner status.   We are already 4-star, and the extra benefits of 5-star do not justify the thousands extra for a "Vista Suite".

On 6/9/2019 at 7:23 PM, TAD2005 said:

There's a bunch of Boston folks who are hoping the Veendam will be home-ported there for Bermuda cruises.  So, we Tampa cruisers have competition.

I wish they would home port Veendam in Boston for Carr ibbean in fall, winTer,Fall.  we loved when we sailed NooDram in January from NYC..  Only   cold 11/2    day and nigHT. and we got into warmer weather VERY SOON.      bOSTON WOULD WOK WELL imo.      so MANY  hal  CRUISERS in and around Boston and  New England.     Lots od igterestg in a Boson home ported   HAL ship.

Veendam is not that well suited to a full 'warm  weather itinerary seeing she no long er has an   outdoor   pool.

image.png.0293b1eae7d3100df7ab963199fedc15.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

Edited by sail7seas

On 6/9/2019 at 7:23 PM, TAD2005 said:

There's a bunch of Boston folks who are hoping the Veendam will be home-ported there for Bermuda cruises.  So, we Tampa cruisers have competition.

I wish they would home port Veendam in Boston for Carr ibbean in fall, winTer,Fall.  we loved when we sailed NooDram in January from NYC..  Only   cold 11/2    day and nigHT. and we got into warmer weather VERY SOON.      bOSTON WOULD WOK WELL imo.      so MANY  hal  CRUISERS in and around Boston and  New England.     Lots od igterestg in a Boson home ported   HAL ship.

Veendam is not that well suited to a full 'warm  weather itinerary seeing she no long er has an   outdoor   pool.

image.png.0293b1eae7d3100df7ab963199fedc15.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

On 6/11/2019 at 11:32 AM, semibeater said:

Zaandam has the same Vista suite issue but I do like the smaller vessels. Bring back Tampa!

Zaandam is only  a litle larger   than Veendam. 

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

One thing evident from this thread.  Holland needs two/three new ships.

Agreed, but not the 3000 passenger monsters that they are building now.  But when the bean counters get involved in the design, you know exactly what any new ships will look like.   Definitely not the 900 to 1400 size that we love.