Vancouver-Tokyo 15 nights on Millinium Opinions

Gidget424

We're considering this cruise from Vancouver to Tokyo for 15 nights on the Celebrity Millinium on Sept. 6.  We've done a previous cruise to the Mediterranean on the Silhouette AquaClass and it set the bar very high.  We loved it.  We're wondering if this 15 night might be too long on the Millinium as it seems to be a smaller ship.

I'm prone to sea sickness, had no problem at all on the Mediterranean voyage with the calm waters in Sept.   The ports of call are Sitka, AK , Otaru and Hakodate, Tokyo, Japan with 8 consecutive days at sea.  Can anyone advise as to what we can expect on this voyage in relation to the waters, ship amenities etc. before we book it?  

You should expect a very nice cruise with much time at sea where you can read, relax, etc.  Celebrity has cut back on all it's during the day events....many are now run by the shops/services...but that's across all ships.  No one can predict the weather, the seas.  The ports are the ports.....not overly exciting, but every port is worth visiting at least once.  We have been on almost all the M and S class ships and from our point of view, we select based on itinerary, not ship.  

If the cruise and time at sea appeal to you....enjoy the cruise.

We sailed 46 days on Millenium and I didn't want to get off!  On a transpacific, you could get into some rough seas but this is not predictable as has already been stated.  The roughest seas we have ever experienced on a cruise ship was sailing out of Sitka and that was on Millenium also.  We are not prone to seasickness and we love sea days.

I hope you can get your hands on some patches to help you if you do get seasick.  Enjoy your cruise.  Japan is lovely.

Edited by TeaBag

We are doing the opposite direction crossing in April 2021....yup, booked for almost 2 years from now! I think your itinerary would be great. And although one poster thought X had cut back on their daily activities, I personally didn’t note that so I think a crossing with extended sea days would be interesting, and the ports of call on this cruise look fun to try.

We are doing the opposite of Tokyo to Vancouver so we dont have the very long flight back after the cruse, but thats just us. Lots of those on our cruise are doing a B2B of cruising a  large number of Japanese ports prior to the TP which makes sense with flying that distance. Can’t do that ourselves, but always something to consider for you. 

With our TransAtlantics, we are now adding a week prior to go wander the UK and on other TA’s, we’ve done B2B. Take advantage of the time and cost of flying to Europe (and in this case, Japan!).

Enjoy, this looks very unique and fun.

Den

We did the same cruise in 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The seas were not at all rough, although of course every cruise is different.  We stopped at Dutch Harbour in Alaska instead of Sitka, but otherwise the ports were the same.  We had a Goodwill guide in Hakodate who gave us a very comprehensive tour of the city for the cost of his lunch and trolley fares.  He was extremely knowledgable  - a retired English and History teacher, and was full of energy.  After we had followed him up a hill and the other couple who were with us gave up part way, he told us he was 87!!!

After the cruise we stayed on in Japan and toured independently for ten days.  The whole experience was very worthwhile. 

Sheila

1 hour ago, smtcan said:

We did the same cruise in 2017 and thoroughly enjoyed it.  The seas were not at all rough, although of course every cruise is different.  We stopped at Dutch Harbour in Alaska instead of Sitka, but otherwise the ports were the same.  ....

A small correction- the original itinerary in 2017 included Dutch Harbor, but the ship stopped at Sitka instead due to construction on the pier in Dutch Harbor. 

As far as "rough seas" - this is open to interpretation. We found the seas to be a bit rough with high winds (100 mph at times)  as we approached Japan. "Captain Nick" had to take some evasive action in order to sail around the cyclones. We spent some hours during the night sitting in a protected area off the north shore of Japan. 

Air temperatures can get quite low over the north Pacific (low 30s F / +1 - 3 C)   Still. we enjoyed the cruise and have done the TransPacific in both directions. 

• Like 1

We did the September 2018 Vancouver to Yokohama itinerary, followed by the next Japan Explorer cruise (or whatever they call it).  We then spent five days in Tokyo before flying home.   Once we reached Japan our itinerary was impacted by Typhoon Tami so we missed one port to reach Yokohama a day early.  The second cruise was impacted by Typhoon Kong-Rei which caused an alteration in itinerary.  I generally say that my favorite cruise was the last one, but that B2B pairing actually was one of our favorite cruises.   The TP crossing was generally smooth, but we did have about 12 to 15 hours of rough seas.  But it certainly wasn't the roughest seas we have ever encountered.

I actually don't have a preference for S-class or M-class ships.  Each class has its plusses and minuses.  We also book for itinerary, but I do have to say that I prefer both Blu and Luminae on the M-class ships over the ones on the S-class ships.  

We enjoyed that B2B so much that we are scheduled on the Eclipse Vancouver to Yokohama crossing in September 2020 (and will stay on until Singapore).  We also had so much fun in Japan that we are scheduled on the April 2021 Japan Explorer cruise followed by the crossing from Yokohama to Vancouver.  

10 minutes ago, Northern Aurora said:

We enjoyed that B2B so much that we are scheduled on the Eclipse Vancouver to Yokohama crossing in September 2020 (and will stay on until Singapore).  We also had so much fun in Japan that we are scheduled on the April 2021 Japan Explorer cruise followed by the crossing from Yokohama to Vancouver.  

When you have a chance come join us on the Roll Calls.  I’m sure your experience and suggestions would be appreciated.

5 hours ago, Denny01 said:

We are doing the opposite direction crossing in April 2021....yup, booked for almost 2 years from now! I think your itinerary would be great. And although one poster thought X had cut back on their daily activities, I personally didn’t note that so I think a crossing with extended sea days would be interesting, and the ports of call on this cruise look fun to try.

We are doing the opposite of Tokyo to Vancouver so we dont have the very long flight back after the cruse, but thats just us. Lots of those on our cruise are doing a B2B of cruising a  large number of Japanese ports prior to the TP which makes sense with flying that distance. Can’t do that ourselves, but always something to consider for you. 

With our TransAtlantics, we are now adding a week prior to go wander the UK and on other TA’s, we’ve done B2B. Take advantage of the time and cost of flying to Europe (and in this case, Japan!).

Enjoy, this looks very unique and fun.

Den

We are booked on that one too...can't wait.  We will be spending our pre cruise stay near Disneyland 

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/14/2019 at 3:23 PM, SFCAcruiser said:

A small correction- the original itinerary in 2017 included Dutch Harbor, but the ship stopped at Sitka instead due to construction on the pier in Dutch Harbor. 

As far as "rough seas" - this is open to interpretation. We found the seas to be a bit rough with high winds (100 mph at times)  as we approached Japan. "Captain Nick" had to take some evasive action in order to sail around the cyclones. We spent some hours during the night sitting in a protected area off the north shore of Japan. 

Air temperatures can get quite low over the north Pacific (low 30s F / +1 - 3 C)   Still. we enjoyed the cruise and have done the TransPacific in both directions. 

Maybe I was wrong about the date, but we definitely stopped in Dutch Harbour.  It was an interesting small town and the whole population seemed to have come out to greet us.  School buses were used for shuttles, so they didn't start until the students had been delivered to their classes.  Locals were anxious to show off their town, and we were taken on a walk to a whale sighting area.  Unfortunately the whales were not as keen to show off as the residents were.

I was  on the same cruise as Northern Aurora and thoroughly enjoyed both cruises.   I would have to point out  that in comparison to a Mediterranean cruise it will be more prone to rough seas and cold temperature.   One can never tell what the weather will be but a good idea to be prepared.