Allure Live June 16-23

12 hours ago, ALSEAU said:

You can only reserve 1 time slot.

RCL usually saves some slots for on board passengers to reserve. First thing after boarding go to the On Air Club to see if you can make reservations for any of the shows you would like,

We could reserve 2 time slots for the comedy show. One took place in comedy live on deck 4. Our second reservation was for the comedy show held in Amber Theatre on the last evening. 

It also seems as though the practice of allowing two reservations, one for comedy live and a second for the comedy show on the last night, might be new. Perhaps those who have sailed Allure in the past were only allowed one reservation but I can say with certainty that we were allowed to make two. 

35 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

We could reserve 2 time slots for the comedy show. One took place in comedy live on deck 4. Our second reservation was for the comedy show held in Amber Theatre on the last evening. 

It also seems as though the practice of allowing two reservations, one for comedy live and a second for the comedy show on the last night, might be new. Perhaps those who have sailed Allure in the past were only allowed one reservation but I can say with certainty that we were allowed to make two. 

Just got off the Allure this morning.  We could reserve two shows.  The comedians were hilarious.

1 minute ago, Nashna said:

Just got off the Allure this morning.  We could reserve two shows.  The comedians were hilarious.

Was it Jersey Mike (Italian) and the other person (forget the name, I'm terrible that way) had a beard and was married? I agree, hilarious. Both shows were different also. 

44 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Actually making reservations in the Theater on the last night is misleading. It is the same comedians but it is a PG version. It is not the Adult show and on all the cruises I have been on they were not checking for reservations to get in.

Yes you can make a reservation for it but it is not necessary.

My first cruise on an Oasis class ship was a disappointment when the only time slot left to reserve for the Comedy was day 7 and when I watched it it wasn't the adult version. Remember this is he evening of day 7 and suitcase night.

9 minutes ago, ALSEAU said:

Actually making reservations in the Theater on the last night is misleading. It is the same comedians but it is a PG version. It is not the Adult show and on all the cruises I have been on they were not checking for reservations to get in.

Yes you can make a reservation for it but it is not necessary.

My first cruise on an Oasis class ship was a disappointment when the only time slot left to reserve for the Comedy was day 7 and when I watched it it wasn't the adult version. Remember this is he evening of day 7 and suitcase night.

This is no longer true. The 10 p.m. theater show on the last night in Amber theater was most certainly an Adult show!!!  In fact, the second comedian opened with how ridiculous it was for parents to have their kids in attendance. For example, the last 10 minutes of the show was entirely centered around obligatory BJ's.

And while the comedians were the same, the comedy material was 95% different between comedy live and the theatre. Only the first 5 minutes of the first comedian's material was repeated (buying a coffin at costco). 

In addition, the comedy host mentioned that the Amber Theatre show was also sold out, but they would be creating a stand by line. I have no way of verifying whether or not that was true.

I'm not suggesting your experience is wrong, I am stating that things have changed.

In the very least, I can be 100% certain that things were different on the Allure June 16th sailing. 

Edited by BermudaBound2014

6 hours ago, Virginia_Native said:

You said you closed down the solarium one night.  Do they still have live music/DJ there?  I know your room was more aft but did you eat in the solarium?  If so your thoughts.

Also wondering if you ate in the Solarium during the day?  And did you happen to notice whether or not Wj had a labeled gluten free section?

We are going on the July 7th sailing and I can't wait, though am a little nervous about all these lines, especially as I use a cane and can't stand for long periods. How was getting in and out of the main dining room?

5 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

....  And did you happen to notice whether or not Wj had a labeled gluten free section? ...

THis is somethign that can vary ship to ship, even cruise to cruise.  However, if you ask to speak to the WJ head chef, they will be glad to help.

8 hours ago, CatLadyFemme said:

Also wondering if you ate in the Solarium during the day?  And did you happen to notice whether or not Wj had a labeled gluten free section?

We are going on the July 7th sailing and I can't wait, though am a little nervous about all these lines, especially as I use a cane and can't stand for long periods. How was getting in and out of the main dining room?

Do you have a set dining time or are you on MTD?  I also walk with a cane and can’t stand for a long period of time.  We always have early dining and on boarding day, we go and find our table.  That way, we don’t have to wait for someone to take us to our table.

i believe all Windjammers now have a gluten free section.  I’ve noticed it on our last several cruises.

21 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This is no longer true. The 10 p.m. theater show on the last night in Amber theater was most certainly an Adult show!!!  In fact, the second comedian opened with how ridiculous it was for parents to have their kids in attendance. For example, the last 10 minutes of the show was entirely centered around obligatory BJ's.

And while the comedians were the same, the comedy material was 95% different between comedy live and the theatre. Only the first 5 minutes of the first comedian's material was repeated (buying a coffin at costco). 

In addition, the comedy host mentioned that the Amber Theatre show was also sold out, but they would be creating a stand by line. I have no way of verifying whether or not that was true.

I'm not suggesting your experience is wrong, I am stating that things have changed.

In the very least, I can be 100% certain that things were different on the Allure June 16th sailing. 

BTW thanks for the great review

For several years the last night comedy routine was PG This is my 3rd year of doing a B2B (9/22 & 9/29)on the Allure.

So it's interesting to hear .it has changed. I wonder if Royal is catering less to families since the separation with Dream Works.

Or they have been observing that a show at 10:00 PM on the last night really doesn't attract a lot of families with kids.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

THis is somethign that can vary ship to ship, even cruise to cruise.  However, if you ask to speak to the WJ head chef, they will be glad to help.

I know this, but it often takes a long time to track someone down, have something made, etc. and usually involves me standing, which is painful and awkward, in the middle of WJ waiting for someone to get me a chef. When they have a section, it is really nice because I can grab some rolls and cheese and make a sandwich instead doing the whole song and dance.

2 hours ago, sellwingri said:

Do you have a set dining time or are you on MTD?  I also walk with a cane and can’t stand for a long period of time.  We always have early dining and on boarding day, we go and find our table.  That way, we don’t have to wait for someone to take us to our table.

i believe all Windjammers now have a gluten free section.  I’ve noticed it on our last several cruises.

Unfortunately, they don't all, which is why I asked. Bob is right; you always CAN get food, but it isn't always as easy.

We have early dining; that's a really good idea about figuring out your table first.

On 6/21/2019 at 2:21 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Ps- the drink card appeared today. 10 drinks for $79. I’ll snap a pic tonight.

How did you learn of the drink card?  Any limits to the type of drinks?

My husband was not impressed with the Allure's gluten free section in Windjammer.  It mostly consisted of foods that anyone with Celiac Disease would know were gluten free...(carved roast, veggies, fruit, jello/mouse based desserts).  He was surprised that they did NOT offer pastry items such as rolls, Danish or cookies.   We did order a super GF Anniversary cake (extra charge as it was very, very large for 19 people).  

On 6/30/2019 at 12:11 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

Was it Jersey Mike (Italian) and the other person (forget the name, I'm terrible that way) had a beard and was married? I agree, hilarious. Both shows were different also. 

Jersey Mike was there as well as a funny guy who singled out a young person (24) in the audience and called him Dude.  He then picked an old man and spent about 15 hilarious minutes telling the Dude what he could expect in his later years.  I don't know when I've laughed so much.  Reservations were definitely helpful as some of our party had to wait until a few minutes before show time to get admitted.  They only let in about 10 people who did not have reservations.  it is a tiny room.

On 7/1/2019 at 2:17 PM, renysmom said:

How did you learn of the drink card?  Any limits to the type of drinks?

There was no mention of the drink card in the compass, but it was on an advertisement card on the table in bow and stern.  As biker mentioned, no significant limits. 

On 7/1/2019 at 1:02 AM, CatLadyFemme said:

We never made it to the solarium during the day. I thought I'd spend lots of time in there, but our sailing was super calm (see pics posted) and the solarium was BLAZING hot because there was no wind. It was like a sauna in there. 

I didn't notice an entire gluten free section like I did on Anthem. On Anthem, the entire back section of the "U" was gluten free. This was not the case on Allure. I noticed they had some gluten free cards next to item description, but of course, veggies and meat are gluten free. I did not see one gluten free desert. Normally I do like to try one (I'm not gluten free), but if I had noticed a gluten free desert from the buffet I'm pretty sure I would have tried it :(.

Regarding lines. We had MTD but made a set dining time for the week. I would highly recommend this to avoid some lines. The first day was a debacle. I honestly was not prepared for the amount of lines on Allure. Everything I read talked about how Oasis class was great about moving people along, and I would agree with that. With the different neighborhoods there were places to find that were quiet (central park at night was wonderful). Anthem had far fewer lines than Allure, but Anthem did not disperse crowds as well as Allure. 

What I would recommend is to contact the manager in the main dining room. He was terrific and willing to bend over backwards. He gave us his card and told us to call 10 minutes before arrival and he would have a set table ready for us. That is probably a good option for you.

Allure is a gorgeous ship and I think you will have an amazing time. Just try not to go to places during prime time or go early to secure a seat. Competition for seats, even with reservations, was fierce. 

On 6/30/2019 at 6:36 PM, Virginia_Native said:

You said you closed down the solarium one night.  Do they still have live music/DJ there?  I know your room was more aft but did you eat in the solarium?  If so your thoughts.

There was a DJ in there nearly every night. I should use the term 'closed' loosely. We left around 3 am, but there was still people in there dancing it up. It's a great venue for the 20s crowd.

I thought I would spend lots of time in the solarium, but I didn't. Part of that was because it was super hot our sailing. We were on the sailing where the seas were like glass and no breeze. The solarium was more like a sauna and the smell of chlorine was quite pronounced. On a normal day, I'm sure it's a great place to hang out. We ended up liking breakfast and lunch from Central Park Cafe. Lines there were never long and if they were they moved fast. Great salad options too! 

Enjoy!