Jelly Fish on Coco Cay??? Is it a problem?

• I have read in a few posts that some people have been bitten by jelly fish on Coco Cay. I know whenever you swim in the ocean that this is a possibility but has it been a consistent problem on Coco Cay? Is is only when you swim in water that is murky or with seaweed. Please post your experiences good and bad?

That is great to hear. I am so looking forward to swimming in the ocean and snorkeling. It is usually the highlight of any of my cruises. Was starting to worry when people were talking about jelly fish

3 minutes ago, shuconn said:

Did you notice if the jelly fish were in open clear water or was it near seaweed/cloudy water? Some people mentioned problems in water with lots of seaweed

We noticed them everywhere when they were bad.

We get the same thing in Florida.  Mostly depends on the wind, if it blows them in.  Also same thing with dying sea grass, which can make a smelly mess on the beaches some times of the year in the islands and in Florida and the coast of Mexico.  It's the tropics.  

Tip: If you are really worried about being stung (they sting...not bite) then bring a small bottle of of meat tenderizer.  That seems to take the sting out.  

We were there a couple of weeks ago...clear water, no jellies.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 2

Jellyfish blooms can happen whenever but the warmer the water the more likely is is to occur. Most jellyfish species do not have  strong mobility and wind-up going with the current so though it can be happen in "cloudy" or debris filled water it is just as common in clear water.

When we were last in CocoCay over a decade ago in August there was one heck of a bloom, and it happened in crystal conditions. It was so bad that all in water excursions and water equipment rentals were canceled, as well as the in ocean inflatable park closed. Instead personnel manned the equipment rental and excursion check-in huts with many, many gallon jugs of white vinegar. Being from a shore area ourselves we knew enough to avoid even the surf, but many did wade in to the ankles getting stung, vinegar is another home remedy to take away the stinging sensation that remains. Powdered meat tenderizer and wet (black or orange pekoe) tea bags also work. 

I was there in November. Soon after entering the water, I was feeling tiny sting/pinches on my shoulders and arms. I mentioned it to my wife and our two friends who were also in the water. They looked at me somewhat skeptically as I was getting out of the water. Moments later, the skeptical gentleman was also hit and got out. We both had numerous dotted rashes that itched and stung. It passed in about 24 hours. Going in the salt water pool on ship helped.

I'm assuming sea lice/jellyfish larvae. Very unpleasant.

16 hours ago, island lady said:

We get the same thing in Florida.  Mostly depends on the wind, if it blows them in.  Also same thing with dying sea grass, which can make a smelly mess on the beaches some times of the year in the islands and in Florida and the coast of Mexico.  It's the tropics.  

Tip: If you are really worried about being stung (they sting...not bite) then bring a small bottle of of meat tenderizer.  That seems to take the sting out.  

We were there a couple of weeks ago...clear water, no jellies.  

That's a nice post actually.

But I couldn't help notice the bolded part...which immediately let to thinking about how that might turn someone into shark bait. 🤣

• Haha 1

These are what we saw mostly.  Hubby was stung a couple places but the first aide station provides Ammonia in a little bottle.  Contrary to popular opinion, your pee won't help.  Not only on Mythbusters but you learn that in Padi courses as well.  These little Moon jellies are on South Beach in amongst the sea grasses.  It's not cloudy but can be stirred up. Always wear water shoes and shuffle when you're over there as the sting rays are abundant.

P1011126.JPG

We were on South Beach two weeks ago. We saw no jellyfish. I am well aware of what they look like because they are very frequently found on the beaches of south east coast of the United States (every few feet on the beach sometimes).  Even so, as many times as I’ve been in the ocean in that part of the US, I have never been stung and my brother was stung once.

There are far fewer in most parts of the Caribbean (there are some of their more poisonous cousins in Bermuda in mass at points of the year but there are warning signs up when that is the case). There were three of us in the water at cococay and actually had some reaction to the sea grass, some slight stinging, but you’ve got more to worry about from that then you do from the sea creatures there.

On 6/19/2019 at 6:01 AM, CRUISEFAN0001 said:

That's a nice post actually.

But I couldn't help notice the bolded part...which immediately let to thinking about how that might turn someone into shark bait. 🤣

LOL...cute... 😄  But indeed the meat tenderizer goes onto your stung spots after you leave the water.  Mr. Shark will have to grow legs to chase you down for that tender meat on shore.  😁

Edited by island lady

On 6/19/2019 at 9:35 AM, BecciBoo said:

These are what we saw mostly.  Hubby was stung a couple places but the first aide station provides Ammonia in a little bottle.  Contrary to popular opinion, your pee won't help.  Not only on Mythbusters but you learn that in Padi courses as well.  These little Moon jellies are on South Beach in amongst the sea grasses.  It's not cloudy but can be stirred up. Always wear water shoes and shuffle when you're over there as the sting rays are abundant.

Jelly Fish.MOV

P1011126.JPG

Indeed that looks like a Sting Ray in the picture...always good to do the "stingray shuffle" in murky water or weeds.  🙂 

Edited by island lady

19 minutes ago, island lady said:

LOL...cute... 😄  But indeed the meat tenderizer goes onto your stung spots after you leave the water.  Mr. Shark will have to grow legs to chase you down for that tender meat on shore.  😁

Unless someone chooses to go in the water again after "preparing" the shark's potential meal... 🤣

Years ago people would say that the cure for a jellyfish thing was somebody urinating on it Dash other than the fact it turns out that is not accurate, it is hard to get the image of standing on the beach screaming and some guy dropping in his pants. I don’t know, I think I might have to do without 😂🤣

On 6/18/2019 at 10:13 PM, John Reid said:

I was there in November. Soon after entering the water, I was feeling tiny sting/pinches on my shoulders and arms. I mentioned it to my wife and our two friends who were also in the water. They looked at me somewhat skeptically as I was getting out of the water. Moments later, the skeptical gentleman was also hit and got out. We both had numerous dotted rashes that itched and stung. It passed in about 24 hours. Going in the salt water pool on ship helped.

I'm assuming sea lice/jellyfish larvae. Very unpleasant.

We were told it was seagrass. A jellyfish sting is extremely painful, that you wouldn’t miss. But several people had some irritation or stinging sensation near the seagrass (no one was aware of any stinging sea creatures that could cause it). I had a little rash for a day (although I made it worse rubbing it I think!). My friend felt the “sting” far more than I did, but the rashes were the same. A bit of a mystery!

Edited by 2Beeze

4 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

We were told it was seagrass. A jellyfish sting is extremely painful, that you wouldn’t miss. But several people had some irritation or stinging sensation near the seagrass (no one was aware of any stinging sea creatures that could cause it). I had a little rash for a day (although I made it worse rubbing it I think!). My friend felt the “sting” far more than I did, but the rashes were the same. A bit of a mystery!

Sea lice. Jellyfish larvae. They also tend to cling to the ropes used to cordon off areas in the water. Avoid grabbing hold.

On 6/18/2019 at 12:33 PM, shuconn said:
  • I have read in a few posts that some people have been bitten by jelly fish on Coco Cay. I know whenever you swim in the ocean that this is a possibility but has it been a consistent problem on Coco Cay? Is is only when you swim in water that is murky or with seaweed. Please post your experiences good and bad?

Jellyfish sting, not bite.  When they sting, it is not an overt, intentional act on the part of the jellyfish, so it's not like they intentionally hide out in murky or seaweed-filled water waiting to attack.  It happens incidentally if your skin comes in contact with the jellyfish tentacles, so can be in any condition of water.  Jellyfish, like the seaweed/sargasso grass, arrive when the current/wind conditions bring them in, so sometimes it's bad, other times non-existent.

On 6/20/2019 at 5:51 PM, 2Beeze said:

Years ago people would say that the cure for a jellyfish thing was somebody urinating on it Dash other than the fact it turns out that is not accurate, it is hard to get the image of standing on the beach screaming and some guy dropping in his pants. I don’t know, I think I might have to do without 😂🤣

This is true not a fable.  Your urine will neutralize it.