Celebrity LBGTQ now completly Friendly

Mr&MrsBee

24 minutes ago, Tatka said:

Yes. This is exactly that.

I have friends who are nudists, but I am not sure everybody on the ship will be excited to see them having Nude events.

I am not sure people will welcome religious events near the pool or some other events not geared to common public either.

This does not mean people are against nudists or followers of particular religion.

I don't have a problem with LGBT people.  I just don't want to see them.  Got it.

1 minute ago, zitsky said:

I don't have a problem with LGBT people.  I just don't want to see them.  Got it.

Again. Do you have problems with nudists? Do you have problems with worshipers?

Please tell.

4 minutes ago, Tatka said:

They do not mean mentions in dailies about get together. Two very different things.

I don't care about small gatherings listed in the Dailies (whatever the topic). What I care about is when a large group takes priority on a cruise to the detriment of other passengers. Large groups that are being "catered to" by the cruise line (ANY large group) take over specialty restaurants and other venues, making the non-group cruisers have a less enjoyable cruise as they are pushed aside in favor of group reservations and seating and events.

A couple of quotes from a different cruise site, a very recent review posted in June 2019, for Celebrity Eclipse:

"We had the misfortune to be on the cruise with a large group which Celebrity apparently wanted to pull out all the stops to please to the detriment of other cruisers. They unceremoniously cancelled the reservations I had made last February for specialty restaurants Murano and Tuscan Grill because they decided to accomodate the large group instead. We were shuffled to other nights and times with no compensation for Celebrity's abrupt cancellation. We had to miss the show on the first night because we had to change our dinner plans and find another place to eat. In addition, on at least 2-3 days we were unable to find lunch seating in the Oceanview buffet restaurant even though we went back several times during the lunch hours to try to find a seat."

"Our experiences with the Shore Excursion Desk, Guest Relations and the Specialty Restaurant Personnel who cancelled our dinner reservations to accommodate the large group on board were monumentally bad. Celebrity used to be committed to good service. Now they apparently only wish to serve and please large groups."

THAT'S what I am concerned about. THAT'S what I want to avoid, along with loud, noisy parties and drunks (again, of ANY orientation or interest).

So yeah, I want to avoid being on a sailing next year that includes the Pride Party at Sea, as I imagine those sailings will have quite a large special interest group onboard. A group that Celebrity is going to prioritize their experience over other cruisers.

I was amused over the discussion comments about people who follow a lifestyle that doesn't eat pork, and that whether or not that means people should be eating bacon at breakfast.

Let's extrapolate that one a bit, shall we?

• I am OK with people who do, or do not, indulge in bacon. Personal choice, more power to you.
  • I am OK with people who may personally believe bacon is a sin, as long as they respect that others have different (and equally valid) beliefs.
  • I am OK with people who believe bacon is awesome, as long as they respect that others may not be comfortable with eating bacon themselves.
  • I am OK with bacon eaters politely eating bacon the same way as the non-bacon eaters enjoy their own food. There's no need to hide that you like bacon, or be unnaturally secretive or discreet at breakfast. Just eat your bacon the same way you might enjoy a piece of fruit or a bagel. If the non-bacon eaters don't like it, that's their personal issue, not yours.

But...

• I am NOT OK with bacon eaters who make a big public show out of the fact that THEY like bacon and are eating it proudly, and by gosh, everyone else should just watch them eat it all day, damn it! (Get a room if bacon makes you that excited.)
  • I am NOT OK with people who believe bacon is a sin and that it is their duty while onboard to "save" bacon eaters from their evil ways. (Hey, your bacon, your business!)
  • I am NOT OK with non-bacon eaters who harass and exclude the bacon eaters from social activities, or vice versa.
  • I am NOT OK with bacon eaters who believe that non-bacon eaters are bigots who are ruining their lives and their vacations, simply because the non-bacon eaters may want to enjoy the pool area without hearing loud announcements and yelling from a group bacon eating contest, for hours on end.
  • I am NOT OK with the bacon eaters taking over large seating areas for their private group, reserving the entire Tuscan Grille for only their members, or booking up entire excursion tours, causing non-bacon eaters to get cancelled and kicked out of activities they have looked forward to, for months.

Hopefully that clears things up a bit about at least my own bacon beliefs!
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Tatka said:

I know exactly what she meant.

I just do not understand how it is related to this discussion.

You know what I mean, right? 😉

Yes I understand your confusion completely. Read the posts I quoted again and think of my comment in that context.... 😉 

It can be

2 minutes ago, Mynki said:

Yes I understand your confusion completely. Read the posts I quoted again and think of my comment in that context.... 😉 

I am not confused a bit.

But ... just in case. Please explain her joke. So there is no slightest chance of confusion.

Edited by Tatka

5 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

So yeah, I want to avoid being on a sailing next year that includes the Pride Party at Sea, as I imagine those sailings will have quite a large special interest group onboard. A group that Celebrity is going to prioritize their experience over other cruisers.

But Celebrity (and probably every other cruise line) do this on EVERY cruise

- Special events for Zeniths

- Sailaway VIP events on the Helipad for those that Celebrity want to invite

- Suite only events

- Drinks events for Elites

- Private parties for Cruise Critic

- Lounges taken over for people who want to buy Art

- Lounges taken over for people who want to play quizzes

- Invited meal events with senior staff

- Religious ceremonies on a Sunday / certain dates

and so on

Celebrity looks after VIP guests to encourage them to come back

• Like 1

Every sailing in June will have a Pride party. It's literally just an hour or two of music at the pool. All are welcome and it has nothing to do with a large special group being on board or others being excluded. It's just another entertainment event with a theme. How this turned into people thinking their ship will be overrun by draq queens, dykes on bikes and political protests, I'll never know. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think the replies in this thread have been very effective of making my point. Being gay or lesbian is legal, and no issues with engaging others who are LGBT. I am more tolerant of someone who is gay or lesbian than most of you are with me. Even though I may have religious or political reasons for not supporting their lifestyle.

That said, other people's lifestyle shouldn't be a reason to be intolerant of others who don't share their views. There are very real religious and political reasons for being sensitive to these issues. Personally, I think the overall conversation is off topic but I saw too many people bashing others to sit back and watch (intolerance). What other political concerns you ask?

- Continuing down this path of gender fluidity will effectively eliminate women's sports. No real differentiation will be made. I believe Nike featured a transgender person runner in an Olympics ad (I have a daughter, so legitimate concern)

- I've personally been discriminated for not being LGBT on bids and employment opportunities (ex. Fannie Mae gives a 5% advantage, many companies now ask for employment). I guess I could lie and say that I am transgender....but I shouldn't be required to...and I don't think there is a standardized method to substantiate claims. It's hard enough with Race, since I don't think DNA tests are required (Elizabeth Warren used this loophole to her advantage)

- Chipotle offered me a 5% coupon if I proved that I contributed to a local LGBT cause (again, I should be able to personally decide what is acceptable to me, not bullied)

- Men/Boys can technically walk into many women bathrooms without regard to privacy

- From a religious perspective, I think it is insulting to use a rainbow (a promise from God) to encourage a behavior that is not ideal. Schools push the Pride issue so much that more people are becoming LGBT (the only way it can really happen since it is not hereditary)

For the record, I am not a fan of people having sex with animals or children. Some people don't draw these distinctions either.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

But Celebrity (and probably every other cruise line) do this on EVERY cruise

- Special events for Zeniths

- Sailaway VIP events on the Helipad for those that Celebrity want to invite

- Suite only events

- Drinks events for Elites

- Private parties for Cruise Critic

- Lounges taken over for people who want to buy Art

- Lounges taken over for people who want to play quizzes

- Invited meal events with senior staff

- Religious ceremonies on a Sunday / certain dates

and so on

Celebrity looks after VIP guests to encourage them to come back

Most of these events (except for Helipad) happen as you said in specific lounges/spaces. Which is completely fine if they are huge groups that take over most of the lounges. Lounges for LGBTQ events are fine too.

Parades are different. They are demonstrations for everybody. Demonstration is a synonym of parade. 

Edited by Tatka

18 minutes ago, DebInAntigua said:

Hopefully that clears things up a bit about at least my own bacon beliefs!

This is NOT bacon!

streaky-bacon.png

This is REAL bacon!

back-bacon.jpg

These are my bacon beliefs. I hope you all respect them too. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Tatka said:

It can be

I am not confused a bit.

But ... just in case. Please explain her joke. So there is no slight chance confusion.

She was referring to something called the 'birds and the bees'. Though personally I didn't believe in it. It can't be true because surely the bird will get stung half way through, right? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Paulras said:

Every sailing in June will have a Pride party. It's literally just an hour or two of music at the pool. All are welcome and it has nothing to do with a large special group being on board or others being excluded. It's just another entertainment event with a theme. How this turned into people thinking their ship will be overrun by draq queens, dykes on bikes and political protests, I'll never know. 

The concern is as legitimate as a preference to not focus on any other subgroup. I did a Google search (and everything is true on the internet :-)) About 4.5% of people identify as LGBT. For me the interruption and resource investment is more detrimental to my cruise experience than the lack of hand sanitizer.

Others are free to have their opinions....but I think to exclude 95% of the people from enjoying the pool for an hour doesn't make sense.

3 minutes ago, Mynki said:

She was referring to something called the 'birds and the bees'. Though personally I didn't believe in it. It can't be true because surely the bird will get stung half way through, right? 

I am deeply hurt. You did not believe her, but you think I can be primitive like that?!?! 😉

Edited by Tatka

1 minute ago, mdpa said:

The concern is as legitimate as a preference to not focus on any other subgroup. I did a Google search (and everything is true on the internet :-)) About 4.5% of people identify as LGBT. For me the interruption and resource investment is more detrimental to my cruise experience than the lack of hand sanitizer.

Others are free to have their opinions....but I think to exclude 95% of the people from enjoying the pool for an hour doesn't make sense.

Um. It's at night when the pool is closed. If I recall, last year was 9pm. And all are invited. 

9 minutes ago, mdpa said:

I think the replies in this thread have been very effective of making my point. Being gay or lesbian is legal, and no issues with engaging others who are LGBT. I am more tolerant of someone who is gay or lesbian than most of you are with me. Even though I may have religious or political reasons for not supporting their lifestyle.

That said, other people's lifestyle shouldn't be a reason to be intolerant of others who don't share their views. There are very real religious and political reasons for being sensitive to these issues. Personally, I think the overall conversation is off topic but I saw too many people bashing others to sit back and watch (intolerance). What other political concerns you ask?

- Continuing down this path of gender fluidity will effectively eliminate women's sports. No real differentiation will be made. I believe Nike featured a transgender person runner in an Olympics ad (I have a daughter, so legitimate concern)

- I've personally been discriminated for not being LGBT on bids and employment opportunities (ex. Fannie Mae gives a 5% advantage, many companies now ask for employment). I guess I could lie and say that I am transgender....but I shouldn't be required to...and I don't think there is a standardized method to substantiate claims. It's hard enough with Race, since I don't think DNA tests are required (Elizabeth Warren used this loophole to her advantage)

- Chipotle offered me a 5% coupon if I proved that I contributed to a local LGBT cause (again, I should be able to personally decide what is acceptable to me, not bullied)

- Men/Boys can technically walk into many women bathrooms without regard to privacy

- From a religious perspective, I think it is insulting to use a rainbow (a promise from God) to encourage a behavior that is not ideal. Schools push the Pride issue so much that more people are becoming LGBT (the only way it can really happen since it is not hereditary)

For the record, I am not a fan of people having sex with animals or children. Some people don't draw these distinctions either.

OMG, I don't have the strength, just don't

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Presumably not against help when it helps you to the possible exclusion of others though?

What the heck is the last statement about? 

2 minutes ago, DYKWIA said:

Presumably not against help when it helps you to the possible exclusion of others though?

What the heck is the last statement about? 

Only the last statement?? 

14 minutes ago, mdpa said:

- From a religious perspective, I think it is insulting to use a rainbow (a promise from God) to encourage a behavior that is not ideal. Schools push the Pride issue so much that more people are becoming LGBT (the only way it can really happen since it is not hereditary.)

Yeaahhhh, I don't think we'd get along at the breakfast table, mdpa.  Religious "one-true-way-to-live" attitudes make my stomach ache.

• Like 3

I was on the Equinox last week with the "Biggest Pride Party at Sea!" Other than the rainbow flag on deck and rainbow face painting and wristbands, it seemed just like any White Party to me. Oh, well they did play Lady Gaga's Born this Way. Maybe that was the big deal? ::shrug:::

Even Captain Kate was wearing a rainbow wig.

No one was excluded, unless they chose to be.

9 minutes ago, mdpa said:

This is a deliberate misinterpretation of statistics.  About 16% of the US population is over 65 but that figure isn't representative of a cruise ship.  We all know Cruise Ships are not an accurate representation of a countries population so why pretend that it is.

There was a LGBTQ event on our cruise a couple of weeks ago. We wanted to check it out, just to check it out, but we forgot about it till after it was over...We did notice that there were a fairly large number of same sex couples on the ship.  Knowing this ahead of time would not have affected our plans in the least....Although we did move a Disney trip a number of years ago due to a planned pride parade...was not a conversation I was ready at the time to have with my 10 & 11 year olds.  

There was not a time that we wanted to go to a lounge or place on the ship where we could not go, although i have heard of some cruises that this has been a concern (not specifically LGBTQ events, but events of any kind) that have taken up the a public area of the ship for extended periods of time. 

I'm very surprised that the parent of a would-be Olympian who also didn't get a discount at Chipotle would misrepresent numbers to such a degree.  After all, the notion that people can be turned gay through a little education is sound. That anyone with two legs can "technically walk into" anywhere also checks out.

I guess the title should say, "completely unfriendly". I didn't ask anyone to agree with my opinion or perspective but I was hoping to see a higher level of tolerance.

I am not jewish or Muslim but I wouldn't choose to post large pictures of bacon just to try and denigrate someone else's views. In the same way I try to avoid making fun of vegetarians even though their justifications are usually random and without providing a reasonable basis for their avoidance of certain foods.

I would be happy to eat breakfast with anyone and most likely have a great conversation.

24 minutes ago, mdpa said:

I guess the title should say, "completely unfriendly". I didn't ask anyone to agree with my opinion or perspective but I was hoping to see a higher level of tolerance.

You deliberately misinterpret statistics. you list some quite specific gripes that can be boiled down to I worry about the Olympics, toilets, getting discounts in fast food restaurants, and misuse of a rainbow, you make comments introducing bestiality and Child Abuse, and now you turn your sights on people who chose not to eat meat because they haven't explained it well enough for your liking ..... and you were hoping for a higher level of tolerance to your views?

Edited by DYKWIA
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1