High Tea

UnMe4ever2gether

9 minutes ago, WestLakeGirl said:

High tea is supper.  You are, perhaps, asking about a cream tea?  

Celebrity does still do a formal, sit-down tea, usually once a cruise.  Otherwise, they do tea, scones, small bites, and so forth every afternoon at the buffet.

Yes, afternoon tea. So it's once a cruise?

I think the sit-down 'formal' afternoon tea is offered once per cruise but I thought only for Captains Club Elite (and above) members. [It's not actually 'formal' as in suit-and-tie]

The Oceanview has afternoon tea daily for anyone 

3 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I think the sit-down 'formal' afternoon tea is offered once per cruise but I thought only for Captains Club Elite (and above) members. [It's not actually 'formal' as in suit-and-tie]

The Oceanview has afternoon tea daily for anyone 

Correct, the ‘formal’ afternoon tea is for Elite and above status in CC, and the buffet is for everyone. Suites are as Chemmo states above.

14 hours ago, UnMe4ever2gether said:

Sailing on a b2b on Reflection October 2020 and wondering if they do a high tea or is that a thing of the past?

Aileen

There is an Elite Elegant Tea once per cruise.  It is available tour Elite and above members usually at 3 pm in Blu.  It includes an assortment of teas, small sandwiches, desserts, scones, etc. 

1 hour ago, keesar said:

There is an Elite Elegant Tea once per cruise.  It is available tour Elite and above members usually at 3 pm in Blu.  It includes an assortment of teas, small sandwiches, desserts, scones, etc. 

I hope they have it in Blu for you on Reflection.  We had it there on Equinox and it was lovely, but our last two cruises on Eclipse it's been in the MDR and it was not as nice - a different ambiance and the food was not as good.

2 minutes ago, mek said:

I hope they have it in Blu for you on Reflection.  We had it there on Equinox and it was lovely, but our last two cruises on Eclipse it's been in the MDR and it was not as nice - a different ambiance and the food was not as good.

I been in both (MDR & BLU) for the Elegant Tea. I believe if the cruise has a lot of Elites or higher (like a trans-Atlantic) they do it in the MDR, lower amount in BLU. Agree, I like the ambiance better BLU but the food I found no difference. I liked it, it is nice. Just plan on a late dinner :). They do ask you to RSVP but never had anyone check your name off when entering the dining rooms.

33 minutes ago, mek said:

Most of the time we have been in Blu.  However, on Silhouette, we were in Tuscan Grill.  The advantage of these smaller venues is that you can hear the live duo playing.  Events have been sparsely attended.

7 hours ago, keesar said:

Yes, we are Elite. So it will be available once per cruise.

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

While dress for elite tea isn't "formal" on recent sailing saw a gentleman turned away for wearing shorts.  His dw was really p_$$$ed at him.

It is hardly permanent banishment.  If he had really wanted to attend the tea, he could have just changed clothes and come right back.

That is why some men (as well as some women) wear those zip off type pants, so they can quickly switch back and forth between shorts and long trousers. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, villauk said:

Correct, the ‘formal’ afternoon tea is for Elite and above status in CC, and the buffet is for everyone. Suites are as Chemmo states above.

Now I feel like a scone (with cream and jam of course!)  I shouldn't be reading this type of thread before bed!

Edited by Shadow9612
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I've noticed that attendance has been sparse recently compared to years ago?  Have others noticed the same, or is it just up and down in size?

I believe there are several factors. There has been much taking place that afternoon.   On our last 3 cruises, they have had the special lunch buffet on that same day.  There were also many cruisers around the pools soaking up the sun.  Also, as mentioned, there has been a dress code enforced with someone standing at the door as you entered.  A couple had been asked to change and then return.  I loved that!  I cannot imagine showing up to a high tea wearing a cover-up over a bathing suit with flip flops.  

14 hours ago, Shadow9612 said:

I've noticed that attendance has been sparse recently compared to years ago?  Have others noticed the same, or is it just up and down in size?

It's only offered once per sailing and not well publicized, so easy to miss.

We sailed on Viking last fall.   They offer high tea daily whether at sea or in port.  Pastries, scones, 30+ varieties of fresh brewed tea and live classical music.  DW went all 14 days so I did as well.  Always well attended.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

It's only offered once per sailing and not well publicized, so easy to miss.

We sailed on Viking last fall.   They offer high tea daily whether at sea or in port.  Pastries, scones, 30+ varieties of fresh brewed tea and live classical music.  DW went all 14 days so I did as well.  Always well attended.

30 varieties of fresh brewed tea??  Wow!

Same on Oceania. We got a real bargain so rather than just wait for our Alaska cruise in August, we took advantage of that great rate and we'll be on the O Insignia in 2.5 weeks.

There'a a high tea every day at 4PM, which, as a Brit who's lived in Georgia (USA) for the last 21 years, I['m really looking forward to!

On 6/21/2019 at 7:19 AM, villauk said:

Indeed. But more importantly should it be jam or cream on first? 😁

scone.jpg

• Haha 1

Depends if you are from Devon or Cornwall,  Devon clotted cream first, Cornwall jam first.

As a preference I like cream, so it goes on first topped by Strawberry jam whenever possible.

Edited by Redrobo

2 minutes ago, Redrobo said:

Depends if you are from Devon or Cornwall,  Devon clotted cream first, Cornwall jam first.

As a preference I like cream, so it goes on first topped by Strawberry jam whenever possible.

But is scone pronounce scone like 'gone' or 'bone'? 

That's the real question.... 😁

• Haha 1