Fjord Cruise Port Changes; thoughts?

A change from interesting ports to less interesting ports and less scenic Fjord sailing.

To Skjolden you will still sail through amazing Fjords however the port sights might b e less interesting.

Molde is a much bigger problem - not the same interesting sights and definitely not the scenic sailing of Geiranger Fjord

I do not know the differences in port charges but aI believe that it is ‘less expensive’ ports.

You are not saying when. Norway is introducing new and more restrictive emission regulation- might be the reason that HAL can not meet those new requirements for sailing certain Fjords,

I was not impressed with Skjolden. I wish I had done Flam but can't really compare.

There are very few private tours in Skjolden. I should also say there are very few tours in Skjolden. Last year there were only 20 cruise ships visiting Skjolden and none of them were in July.

I wish I could have gone back this year.  Sad about Gerianger - it is simply beautiful.

Edited by Coral

My impression is also that HAL isn’t going to make the environmental changes being required to cruise to Geiranger and Flåm. That’s pretty sad since it’s gone from two of the popular highlight ports to two alternatives. Does the itinerary include any other fjord sailing?

Flam and Geiranger were two of my favorite ports (and actually were the two we used as a basis for finding a cruise).  We also loved Olden.  I haven't sailed your new ports, so I don't know how significant the change is.  

We had a pleasant day in Molde. We walked from the ship up the hill to the Romsdal Museum which shows how the Norwegians used to live. There are several houses to look round and there's a cafe.  The town is known for it's roses and you can smell them as you pass people's gardens. The town is pleasant enough with shops and cafes.  Lots of cafes near the ship for those who don't  want to walk far.

4 hours ago, kitkat343 said:

does anyone know which cruise lines will be able to continue sailing into Geiranger and Flam?

For the future it will require LNG powered cruise ships - after 2026 only electrical propulsion will be allowed in the Heritage Fjords.

Hurtigruten and Havila will have hybrid ships ready by 2021 - Carnival, RCCL, Costa and AIDA will have LNG and probably also hybrid ships at that time.

I do not know of all plans here som link with more information 

Link to new concept and LNG powered ships

1 hour ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Possibly Azamara

Probably not with current ships.

46 minutes ago, ski ww said:

Flamm is still on our itinerary for Jul 2020, or at least HAL has not sent me an update on an itinerary change.

It is also on the itinerary for the June 2020 cruise as well.  I'm hoping it stays there.

On 6/22/2019 at 4:17 AM, kaisatsu said:

My impression is also that HAL isn’t going to make the environmental changes being required to cruise to Geiranger and Flåm. That’s pretty sad since it’s gone from two of the popular highlight ports to two alternatives. Does the itinerary include any other fjord sailing?

It appears a lot of lines are not modifying ships but new builds may have the requirements to sail.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Coral said:

It appears a lot of lines are not modifying ships but new builds may have the requirements to sail.

More and more LNG and hybrid ships to come.Carnival has just launched their first LNG powered ship - AIDAnova - pretty sure that we also will see LNG powered HAL ships. RCCL , Costa and others are building LNG ships - however so sail Norwegian Heritage Fjords the ship must have electric propulsion (LNG hybrid ships)

1 minute ago, hallasm said:

More and more LNG and hybrid ships to come.Carnival has just launched their first LNG powered ship - AIDAnova - pretty sure that we also will see LNG powered HAL ships. RCCL , Costa and others are building LNG ships - however so sail Norwegian Heritage Fjords the ship must have electric propulsion (LNG hybrid ships)

Just glad that ships are not going to be banned and one can still sail (if on the right ship). Such a beautiful area.

Edited by Coral

Geiranger is still on the itinerary for our June 2020 cruise with Carnival.  This is interesting because this is a change from the first itinerary published. Previously the port was suppose to be Trondheim. I think the change was made in April.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We were in port at both Molde and Skjolden last month and they were highlights!  In fact, we loved Skjolden and the Sognefjord so much 6 years ago it was a deciding factor in the itinerary we chose.

In Molde, we rented a car from the airport's Budget/Avis (took a local bus to the airport and back).  You may be able to get another company who will meet you at the port.  (They are doing extensive beautification work in the port area and once it is done will be very nice).  We weren't sure if we should do the Atlantic Road or Trollstigen.  It was rainy when we arrived, but it cleared up to be a gorgeous day.  The car rental guys told us not to miss Trollstigen.  OH, MY!!!! WHAT A DAY!  Driving it was one of the highlights in our life!  The area was simply beautiful.  Too beautiful to describe adequately.  I will never forget what a wonderful day we had.  https://www.visitnorway.com/places-to-go/fjord-norway/northwest/activities-and-attractions/trollstigen/

In Skjolden, we took a tour on the Sognefjellet Tourist Route (some excursions may say Songnefjell Mountain Scenery and not even mention "tourist route" but the Mountain Pass IS on that road, etc.).  We were glad we chose this one, just wish it was longer than 3 hours:>).  The scenery was gorgeous!  I wish there had been a way to rent a car and see more.  You might want to do a "Best of" tour that includes this route, one of the national parks, a couple waterfalls and the Urnes Stave Church to get a feel for the area.  There is supposed to be a local company that does tours, but their website is old; however, it would be worth emailing or calling the TI there (now in the hotel) to see if it's still available.  (TIP: I was glad I took my map from 6 years prior; the TI ran out.  Try to see if Sognefjord tourism can send you something by mail, or if you're in Bergen prior, they may have a booklet.  You might want to print maps of Skjolden in advance if you plan to walk around, although their signage is excellent.  They also have a map with points of interest marked outside the Hotel where you can take a photo if necessary.).

I would not miss the Sognefjellet Tourist Route!   https://www.visitnorway.com/listings/sognefjellet-national-tourist-route/5167/ We also love walking up to the gorgeous view point in Skjolden.  It is simply stunning.  I think Skjolden is one of the most beautiful places of natural beauty I have ever seen.  And the sail in/ away is gorgeous for hours!  

Happy Sailing!

Edited by syesmar
  • Like 1