Luggage Point Brisbane

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

I think it’s got a moving foot path.

That will be a boon.

Can the terminal cater to more than 1 ship at a time ?

I can see it becoming a real cruising hub as it develops into the Fort Lauderdale of the South Pacific .

16 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

That will be a boon.

Can the terminal cater to more than 1 ship at a time ?

I can see it becoming a real cruising hub as it develops into the Fort Lauderdale of the South Pacific .

I didn’t know Fort Lauderdale had a sewage treatment plant right next to it

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

I didn’t know Fort Lauderdale had a sewage treatment plant right next to it

No it doesn’t , they can’t have all the treats  , but it’s beside the airport for interstate and International passengers.

Did anyone else notice on the portbris.com.au FAQ's that "Currently no local or State Government plans to link the BICT to public transport options", just like White Bay Terminal in Sydney. Grrrrrr

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

Sorry, just noticed that this had been discussed on Page 1

Technically there is a bus stop at the corner of Marine and Main Beach Roads, probably about 400 meters from the terminal gates. The 303 bus from Doomben train station stops there, but it has a very restricted timetable.

Thanks SinbadThe Porter, I just had a look at the Bus timetable for the 303 and I see what you mean.

We are hoping that we will still be able to organise our own private tours and that tour companies will be willing to drive the 20 km to the new Terminal.

Tours may have to be customised to allow for the additional travelling time, but they would be foolish to reject bookings because of the distance. It could be a goldmine to them if they start offering private tours from the new Terminal, but of course we will have to wait and see what the Cruise companies decide regarding Tours.

53 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

Did anyone else notice on the portbris.com.au FAQ's that "Currently no local or State Government plans to link the BICT to public transport options", just like White Bay Terminal in Sydney. Grrrrrr

There will probably be a shuttle bus to the CBD, similar to the service that operated from the Fishermans Island terminal. This would take less time than a local bus service that stops constantly, but it would be much more expensive for the passenger.

I have no doubt that private tour operators will be happy to pick up passengers from the new terminal.

For interest, we have parked our car with Gateway Parking and used their free shuttle bus to Portside (a couple of km). The owner of this business told us he will operate a similar service after the new terminal opens.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

of course we will have to wait and see what the Cruise companies decide regarding Tours.

I would be very surprised if local tour companies offering excursions did not set up shop inside the terminal.

The terminal is owned by the Port of Brisbane Pty Ltd and I think they would be happy to rent out floor space.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

5 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

I haven't ever seen tour operators set up at Portside, either inside or outside so I wouldn't assume that they will be on site at the  new terminal.

There will be a big difference between portside and the new terminal, size of the ships and guest demographic (more internationals) for starters.

Just now, MicCanberra said:

There will be a big difference between portside and the new terminal, size of the ships and guest demographic (more internationals) for starters.

I don't know if larger ships and more international visitors at the new terminal will result in tour operators setting up booths. When larger ships docked at Fishermans Island, I didn't see tour operators on site.

41 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Build it and they will come.

The big ships will come, but will the tour operators set up in (or outside) the terminal? If the past is anything to go by, the answer is "no". We will see. However, I have no doubt that tour operators will be happy to pick up passengers from the new terminal.

3 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I haven't ever seen tour operators set up at Portside, either inside or outside

Yes, you are correct about Portside. I was hoping that Ports Brisbane would be thinking more along the lines of Brisbane Airport, but since they are so oriented towards commercial shipping it may not be in their DNA .

Maybe if we are lucky we might get a Visitor Information Centre.

Also, for anybody walking into the terminal it's about 500 meters from the front gate to the terminal. So you'd need to figure that into your distancing.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

1 minute ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Yes, you are correct about Portside. I was hoping that Ports Brisbane would be thinking more along the lines of Brisbane Airport, but since they are so oriented towards commercial shipping it may not be in their DNA .

Maybe if we are lucky we might get a Visitor Information Centre.

Agreed. A Visitor Information Centre would be great. The centre in the terminal building in Melbourne is great. They supply information and there is a desk where passengers can buy public transport tickets.

Thinking back to Aus ports I don't believe I have seen private operators near the terminals.  Only time was when we got to Port Lincoln in around Feb 2015 and locals were at the gates selling private tours.  Think we may have been the first large cruise ship to dock.  The ships tour people were angry about this because they were undercutting them and since then I have only seen private tours available online or else sold from the Visitors Information Centre (where ever that may be - near or not near the ship).  Not like in NZ where you can purchase on the pier basically.

Excess ship tour vacancies are sometimes sold on the pier near the gangway.

• 1 month later...

We were out driving yesterday and decided to check out the new cruise terminal. We didn't drive past the "No unauthorised entry" sign, but I have to admit, I walked another kilometre or so further along the road until I reached a security fence and closed gate.

The new terminal is 12 km further on than the Portside terminal. It takes a bit more than 15 minutes to drive the distance because most of it is on a rather poor quality road that has several right-angle bends that require the driver to slow down. These are just a natural part of the old road as it wanders along beside the river and between various industrial sites.

When I got out of the car I could smell the eau de cologne from the sewerage treatment works, but as I walked closer to the terminal, the on-shore winds blew the air away from the terminal. I feel that the only time a smell would be detected at the terminal is when a westerley wind is blowing and that wouldn't be very often. 

The terminal appears to be complete as are the three large carparks. I understand that there is open air parking for 900 vehicles. I was hoping there might be some undercover carparks, but I couldn't see any unless they were in the area sign-posted 'premium carpark number 1'.

I took photos but, because I had to stop at the closed security fence, they don't really add anything to what we have seen before.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Traveller said:

I was hoping there might be some undercover carparks

From the Sept 2020 project update:

"Construction of the solar installation on Car Park 1 - the car park closest to the terminal building - is approaching completion. The solar structures will offer a shaded parking option for 230 vehicles while passengers are enjoying their cruise. It will also provide significant renewable energy for PBPL, generating around 1,300MW of power each year - the equivalent of powering around 106 homes."

• Like 2