Luggage Point Brisbane

• 2 months later...

It will be interesting to see if a politician will be attending the official opening. I can see the building being completed, but just a white elephant until cruising re-commences.

"Brisbane's new multimillion-dollar international cruise terminal will still open in October despite the industry being in lockdown because of the COVID-19 crisis. The terminal is slated to accept its first ship, the Carnival-owned Pacific Dawn, at 6am on October 3 at Luggage Point." Source

Thanks for the great photos and progress report on the new Terminal.

We have stopped into Brisbane a few times on cruises and have done some great wine tours and up into the Hinterland for the day.  The last couple of times though we decided to stay on board the ship, as we felt it was too damn far to go into Brisbane for the day. On one occasion we were at the Grain Terminal on Melbourne Cup day and it was just fantastic. Princess went to a lot of trouble with screening the whole Cup carnival on the Big Screen and many venues inside and a heap of people used all sorts of clothing and linen (sheets,towels,pillow cases etc) to get dressed up in. Could't tell you how many sheiks we had on board that day. It was a truly memorable day as everyone got involved and it was such a happy and positive day.

I am only new to this CC boards activity (although I am always active on our roll Calls) and I didn't know where or how to ask a question. I can tell that there are many experienced cruisers on this AUS/NZ thread ( we have sailed with David from NZ before), so I hope you don't mind if I ask a question.

From your experience- do you think it is better to book with the Cruise line direct or with an online agency???

The reason that I ask is that for the past 10 years we have used the online agency-Cruise Guru, as I found their prices  and offers sometimes to be very good, when compared to other agencies and we also like to choose our own cabin- which their site allows us to do. But the last few cruises that we have booked with them, they have been unwilling to pass on fare reductions that I have found and when Cruise lines offer a promotion etc. This is always well within the final payment date. 

I was just wondering if we had booked with the cruise line itself, then maybe we may have had more negotiating power to make these changes or at least request them. We are starting to wonder if we should try and find another online agency or just book with the cruise line, even though initially the price might be a bit dearer- the final benefits might be worth it.

I would appreciate your comments and suggestions, particularly about agencies that you might use and have been helpful to you.

Sorry about the long winded thread.

Cheers,

Jenny

Welcome to the CC boards, Jenny. Our Aus/NZ forum is very friendly. 

You can book specific cabins directly with the cruise lines. Some of the cruise line websites don't always make it easy but Princess is great. Once final payment date is passed you are very unlikely to get any price reductions from any cruise line, but prior to final payment with Princess you just phone them and they will refare your booking under most circumstances.

Yes, the TAs often have slightly better deals but also often have stricter cancellation policies, often with a fee on top of what the cruise line charges, and sometimes earlier final payment dates. I usually only book with a TA if the deal is too good to miss, or if it's a last minute cruise.

Note: if you have specific questions like this it's usually better to start a new thread, that way your question won't get overlooked. Do a search first to see if that topic has already been discussed. If not, or what has been discussed isn't relevant enough, then start a new topic.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Thank you for your wisdom , I will take everything you said on board.

BTW I have found your Virtual NZ and Australia cruise thread- my husband had to come and see what I was laughing about- really enjoying it.

Especially love the couples massage team of Svetlana and Stefan 🤣🤣🤣 and the photos are amazing.

Thank you again,

Jenny

29 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

BTW I have found your Virtual NZ and Australia cruise thread- my husband had to come and see what I was laughing about- really enjoying it.

Especially love the couples massage team of Svetlana and Stefan 🤣🤣🤣 and the photos are amazing.

Thank you again,

Jenny

We're having a lot of fun on that thread, and sharing some great info on the various ports, as well as indulging on some hilarious flights of fancy. Feel free to join in during the remainder of that cruise. 

The photos are a combination of personal photos people have taken and stock photos copied from the internet.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

21 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

Thank you again,

Jenny

Hey Jenny.

We aren’t allowed to mention the names of agents,your post will be deleted. 

To respond to your question, from my experience a online agent is cheaper but it depends on the cruise line.

We are loyal to royal as we have been sucked it to their loyalty program and all our friends are.

That agents you use I have some bad experiences with but they are all just booking agents.

My agent is one in Baldwin Victoria,They offer cruises ( get the hint ?)I recommend them .You can pick your cabin live online.

They are the cheapest but sometimes don’t have the perks.

40 minutes ago, JJG99 said:

Oops, didn't realise that. Thanks for letting me know and the hint- hope I can work it out 🤔

Jenny

Sorry that’s Balwyn Victoria,they have some great overseas cruise packages to.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

If they can’t get a current minister to preside at the opening, I am sure they could invite Clive.

Say he can inspect a berth for his Titanic 2 as part of the deal.

I had to go a find how Titanic 2 is (not) progressing. On the Blue Star Line Pty. Ltd website, the last update was 2018. On the website he is listed as Professor Palmer, (which got me thinking). In 2008, Palmer was appointed adjunct professor of management at Bond University on the Gold Coast. (Titles for mates?)

24 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I had to go a find how Titanic 2 is (not) progressing. On the Blue Star Line Pty. Ltd website, the last update was 2018. On the website he is listed as Professor Palmer, (which got me thinking). In 2008, Palmer was appointed adjunct professor of management at Bond University on the Gold Coast. (Titles for mates?)

Bond Uni is a beautiful place.

My brother in law worked there when it was being built. Money no object, but not great at inventory control.

He said some of the tradies of SEQ have the most fabulously built and fitted out homes from that era.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JJG99 said:

Thank you again,

Jenny

I didn't supply the photos from the massage due to this being a family forum.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I understand it was a honourary title of 'Professor'. BTW, I don't believe Clive ever intended to built Titanic 2. Originally he said it would be an exact copy. Just consider - no ensuite bathrooms unless you were in one of the limited number of suites. Most accommodation would be in 3rd class where there was literally just one bathroom for the 350 or so men and one for the 350 or so women. Luckily there were more toilets. Titanic 2 was never going to happen. It was a publicity stunt before Clive's first nomination for parliament - and he won!!!

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

Excellent pics, Got a cruise booked out of this terminal in Jan 2020. Whats the chances you all reckon ???

No chance - you have already missed that cruise 5 months ago. 😀

12 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

Excellent pics, Got a cruise booked out of this terminal in Jan 2020. Whats the chances you all reckon ???

Do you mean Jan 2021? 🤔

Chances slightly better than Dec 2020   😉

14 hours ago, SuitesRbest said:

Whats the chances you all reckon ???

Very small.

'On Friday, Queensland Health extended its ban on a foreign flagged cruise ship from entering state waters "until the end of the public health emergency".'

I strongly suspect the public health emergency will not be over by January.

3 hours ago, SinbadThePorter said:

Very small.

'On Friday, Queensland Health extended its ban on a foreign flagged cruise ship from entering state waters "until the end of the public health emergency".'

I strongly suspect the public health emergency will not be over by January.

Yah, but the definition of that is as per the official gazetted date by QLD government. Which is currently Aug 17. 

I wouldn't expect that date to continue through til January.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Yah, but the definition of that is as per the official gazetted date by QLD government. Which is currently Aug 17. 

I wouldn't expect that date to continue through til January.

The good thing is that the cruise is a local QLD coast cruise, I think that Australian Government may impose a 14 day isolation period at see for crew until being able to dock. Could be very wrong though.