Luggage Point Brisbane

Brisbane Ports are scheduling ships on the new Brisbane International Cruise Terminal [BICT] from 3rd Oct. 2020.

Pacific Dawn being the first ship.

All cruise ships are using the new berth with the exception of smaller vessels such as Silver Muse, Viking Orion & Oceania Regatta even when BICT is vacant.

Notice Sapphire Princess on list for Dec. 2020 & 4 calls in early 2021.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To tell the truth I won't shed a tear when the old Dawn disappears over the horizon never to return.

In exchange we get the Explorer, plus Spirit and Radiance. Sea gets swapped out for Sun. I've been on Sea twice but I've soured on her since she broke down both times, so I'm hoping the Sun is an improvement.

Even better Spirit and Explorer stick around for the winter.

So all in all 2021 is shaping up to be a good cruise season in Brisvegas.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
6 hours ago, By The Bay said:

No mention of Public Transport connections.😦

From the PortBris website FAQ:

"There are currently no local or state government plans to link the BICT to public transport options."

There is a 303 bus that goes to Myrtletown, which is probably 500 metres or so from the BICT. But it has a very limited timetable.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

7 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Hard to believe, public transport wasn't factored in, as part of the development.

The problem is that public transport needs a regular customer base to be viable. In those terms cruise terminals are one day of plenty for four or five of famine. So the powers that be leave us to the tender mercies of the private sector.

Although it is possible to hire Brisbane CityCat ferries:

https://www.brisbane.qld.gov.au/traffic-and-transport/public-transport/citycat-and-ferry-services/hire-council-citycats-and-ferries

So if there is a budding entrepreneur out there I suspect there is money to be made.

I hope the cruise lines organise shuttle transport for passengers to the City and the Brisbane Airport.

I imagine Senior Groups will have coach trips to BICT, similiar to the senior coach trips which visit the Grain Terminal now.

2 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

BICT Facts - There is no public transport planned.  

Port of Brisbane

Hard to believe, public transport wasn't factored in, as part of the development.

Exactly what happened when White Elephant was built. At least Private enterprise stepped in an provides a ferry service. I hope Brisbane ferries does the same for the BICT.

22 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Exactly what happened when White Elephant was built. At least Private enterprise stepped in an provides a ferry service. I hope Brisbane ferries does the same for the BICT.

It would take a fair time to travel from Luggage Point to the city by ferry wouldn't it? We have taken the ferry from Brett's wharf to Southbank, while a lovely way to travel and see the sights it took quite a while, close to 50 minutes if I remember correctly. I don't know how much longer it would take to travel to Luggage Point - 30 to 40 minutes?  It would be a little quicker for direct travel into Brisbane but still quite a long journey.

Leigh

46 minutes ago, possum52 said:

We have taken the ferry from Brett's wharf to Southbank, while a lovely way to travel and see the sights it took quite a while, close to 50 minutes if I remember correctly.

But a lot of that time is taken up with dropping off passengers along the way.

I'm guessing that the CityCats ferries can do about 40 km/h without much trouble. The distance from the CBD to the BICT is probably about 30km. So about 45 minutes express.