RCI dining room attire question

I have read no tanks in the dining room. Does this include dressy, sleeveless shirts? I'm not sure how they define "tanks". Some consider just the ribbed cotton, very casual ones to be "tanks", while others consider sleeveless shirts to be "tanks". I was planning to bring some dressy (think slinky, silky fabric) "tanks" to wear with dressy capris or palazzo pants. Are those OK? One of my outfits for formal night includes a "tank" w/ rhinestones and pearl embellishments. It's very dressy.  I do have a sheer jacket, if necessary. 

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  You will find a wide variation of opinion as to what is appropriate in the MDR at dinner.  The attire in the picture looks fine to me but others will have different opinions.  I suggest reading the RCI sub and perhaps doing a search.  Lately I have read that conversations about politics trigger some folks so perhaps don’t wear the MAGA ball cap turned backward. 

The suggested dining attire is only a recommendation, and with certain exceptions, is not strictly enforced.  Dress like that shown in your picture is absolutely fine - in fact with the man's jacket, etc., it is actually on the higher end IMO. I haven't taken a jacket or tie and my wife hasn't taken a "formal" dress for several years.  But we always dress appropriately in slacks and polo's or collared shirts and similarly with my wife's attire. Anything smart casual and above is acceptable and common.  The "formal night" attire has also been eliminated other than as a suggestion for those who wish to dress formally and smart casual is fine then as well.  Bating suits, flip flops, "wife beaters", etc., would not be appropriate.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

We did 1st cruise in May in Mediterranean. Short of bathing suits and tank tops on men there was a wide range of clothing. Your descriptions of clothes will be fine. You will have a great time. In hindsight fitting into the clothes after the cruise instead of what to bring on the cruise should have been my concern!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, leaveitallbehind said:

The suggested dining attire is only a recommendation, and with certain exceptions, is not strictly enforced.  Dress like that shown in your picture is absolutely fine - in fact with the man's jacket, etc., it is actually on the higher end IMO. I haven't taken a jacket or tie and my wife hasn't taken a "formal" dress for several years.  But we always dress appropriately in slacks and polo's or collared shirts and similarly with my wife's attire. Anything smart casual and above is acceptable and common.  The "formal night" attire has also been eliminated other than as a suggestion for those who wish to dress formally and smart casual is fine then as well.  Bating suits, flip flops, "wife beaters", etc., would not be appropriate.

Thank you; this was very helpful, as I've been fretting over the "formal" attire. I have one outfit that's very formal, and the other is a short black dress. I was worried about that one, but hoped I could "dress it up" with jewelry and heels. Sounds like I can 🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic.  You will find a wide variation of opinion as to what is appropriate in the MDR at dinner.  The attire in the picture looks fine to me but others will have different opinions.  I suggest reading the RCI sub and perhaps doing a search.  Lately I have read that conversations about politics trigger some folks so perhaps don’t wear the MAGA ball cap turned backward. 

Thank you! I'm still finding my way around this board. I did do a search, before posting, but I probably didn't use the right keywords. I think I searched Royal Caribbean+dining+tanks. I'll try to see if I can find the sub board - thanks!

17 hours ago, travelerbug7 said:

I have read no tanks in the dining room. Does this include dressy, sleeveless shirts? I'm not sure how they define "tanks". Some consider just the ribbed cotton, very casual ones to be "tanks", while others consider sleeveless shirts to be "tanks". I was planning to bring some dressy (think slinky, silky fabric) "tanks" to wear with dressy capris or palazzo pants. Are those OK? One of my outfits for formal night includes a "tank" w/ rhinestones and pearl embellishments. It's very dressy.  I do have a sheer jacket, if necessary. 

Usually that rule applies to men, not women.

8 hours ago, crystalspin said:

That's a shell not a tank! You'll be fine. You may want a shawl or over-blouse anyway, sometimes it's cool in MDR. Or so they say!

Thanks! My mom used to call them "shells". My friends all call them "tanks", so I wanted to be sure. I'm early 50s, so not that young - maybe it's a location term? Thanks for the tip that it's cool. I expected it to be hot, which is why I bought sleeveless lol. I'll bring a nice jacket - thanks!

OP- what you are  planning to wear sounds just fine to me.

Our party chose to follow the suggested dress code and wear tuxes and cocktail dresses (I know men could have chosen suits) for formal night in MDR on Oasis of the Seas, in the Med, in May this year.

We were definitely in the minority !! 

We were very disappointed to find some passengers wearing shorts and T shirts in the same dining room on the formal nights.

I wish cruise lines would post and enforce a mandatory dress code for the dining rooms. Perhaps nominate a restaurant for those who want to dress formally and another for those who don't. ....just an idea !!!!

3 minutes ago, Reina del Mar said:

OP- what you are  planning to wear sounds just fine to me.

Our party chose to follow the suggested dress code and wear tuxes and cocktail dresses (I know men could have chosen suits) for formal night in MDR on Oasis of the Seas, in the Med, in May this year.

We were definitely in the minority !! 

We were very disappointed to find some passengers wearing shorts and T shirts in the same dining room on the formal nights.

I wish cruise lines would post and enforce a mandatory dress code for the dining rooms. Perhaps nominate a restaurant for those who want to dress formally and another for those who don't. ....just an idea !!!!

Thanks! I can understand your disappointment. Personally, I don't think anyone should be forced what to wear, when everyone is paying the same general price, but I do love to get dressed up, and like to feel I "fit in" with what others are wearing. I do think if they're going to post a dress code, it should be enforced. The RCI site states, "Think of our formal dress code as a night out in your best black-tie look — suits and ties, tuxedos, cocktail dresses or evening gowns are all acceptable options."  I have no other reason to need an evening gown, so if I'd have gone out to buy one just for this, or my husband had gotten a tux, based on that statement, then showed up to find others in shorts, I'd have not been happy. I will be in cocktail dresses w/ classy jewelry. 

• Like 1

I think the tank top prohibition is for MEN wearing them.

And while shorts are "not allowed in the MDR" I have seen men in shorts on formal night.

I take a sport coat, dress shirt, and a couple of ties.  My SO always has a nice dress or two packed, and then dresses it up more with a scarf and jewelry.

But up to you.

3 hours ago, SRF said:

I think the tank top prohibition is for MEN wearing them.

They've gotten popular for women also.

And "wife beater" is not an okay term.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2019 at 1:16 PM, Reina del Mar said:

That's what Cunard does on formal nights. There's a minimum standard shipwide (e.g., no torn jeans) but if you don't want to dress up you can eat in the buffet and visit one or two lounges. Otherwise you're expected to meet the dress code in any other public spaces (main dining room, other bars, theater).

Just now, Underwatr said:

That's what Cunard does on formal nights. There's a minimum standard shipwide (e.g., no torn jeans) but if you don't want to dress up you can eat in the buffet and visit one or two lounges. Otherwise you're expected to meet the dress code in any other public spaces (main dining room, other bars, theater).

You're "expected" to but do they actually deny admission?

On 7/5/2019 at 8:12 PM, clo said:

They've gotten popular for women also.

Women have been wearing things with thin over shoulder straps for YEARS.   Not only tops but dresses.

My point is, the PROHIBITION is about MEN wearing them, not for the women.

• 1 month later...

My experience is that cruises in Europe - and out of Southampton in particular - have a far higher proportion of folk dressing formally on formal nights than on, say, Caribbean cruises. On our recent Med cruise, we had 11 of us at our MDR table (we five, and six others). Everyone dressed formally.

• Like 1