Change in shareholder benefits

LaineyParker

I just sent my fax request this morning for our Nov 2019 cruise.  I was surprised when I logged in to the Princess site about 15 minutes later and saw that it was already credited to my account.  And, even more surprising was the fact that it was also credited to my account for my Feb 2020 cruise.  Way to go Princess.

1 hour ago, Haboob said:

Remember:

If it's on the internet and it's free, you (and your information) is what is being sold.

I'm not worried. I don't have a FB account so I'm ahead of the privacy thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, drowelf said:

Same here. Bought our first shares years ago when it was in the teens. I've added to the position, sold it all and re-bought over the years as the price has fluctuated due to the market conditions. Since we hold it in our IRA-SEP, no worries about capital gains over the years. 

And as a side fact RCL has done even better, from share price appreciation, over the years than CCL. We own both and I've held more RCL at times than CCL due to that vary fact. 

Cheers, 

Same here.   My CCL stock dividends largely pays for a  balcony  stateroom (or above) these days.  SOBC is just an added perk. 👍

12 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Same here.   My CCL stock dividends largely pays for a  balcony  stateroom (or above) these days.  SOBC is just an added perk. 👍

You must have quite a few shares of CCL if the dividend pays for a stateroom! Perhaps we are booking the wrong cruises. With a dividend of $2 per share per year I'd need a lot of shares and short cruises. 😮

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thrak said:

You must have quite a few shares of CCL if the dividend pays for a stateroom! Perhaps we are booking the wrong cruises. With a dividend of $2 per share per year I'd need a lot of shares and short cruises. 😮

Father started buying CCL @ $3/share.   Left stock to me.   But my cruise line of choice is Oceania.  ☹️ I am mostly a solo cruiser. Enjoy and cruise balcony or higher.😀

Edited by Kingofcool1947

And as a side fact RCL has done even better, from share price appreciation, over the years than CCL. We own both and I've held more RCL at times than CCL due to that vary fact. 

Does RCL have a Shareholder OBC benefit or some other incentive besides the normal dividends?

20 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Does RCL have a Shareholder OBC benefit or some other incentive besides the normal dividends?

From reading these boards, the answer seem to be yes but. The but is that they do not combine it with other OBC like Carnival Corporation does.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

Yes, they do, but it seems to be more restrictive than CCL. Stacking is generally not allowed and certain fare buckets (Cheapo's) can be ineligible. 

We have it for the DW Girls Cruises with her friends out of SC at times and thats Royal Carribean. And the fact that its performed better than CCL over the years. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Haboob said:

Remember:

If it's on the internet and it's free, you (and your information) is what is being sold.

Exactly.

That's why we keep receiving more & more cruise offers via email & snail mail every day. 

Yes, they do, but it seems to be more restrictive than CCL. Stacking is generally not allowed and certain fare buckets (Cheapo's) can be ineligible. 

We have it for the DW Girls Cruises with her friends out of SC at times and thats Royal Carribean. And the fact that its performed better than CCL over the years. 

Who cares how the stock performs.

Most don't buy for performance.

It is all about the OBC.   

37 minutes ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It is all about the OBC.   

"Most" :classic_laugh:

yep, noone boasts,  er posts, how they bought at $ 6.69 and that the dividends and ... and ... blah, :classic_rolleyes:

13 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

It is all about the OBC.   

True. If it wasn't for that OBC, I'd wait until it went up a bit & dump it. It just creates more paperwork for me & that's the last thing I need.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BCCRUSINGCOUPLE said:

I think it is safe to say they won’t cancel it many cruisers have stock and use the benefit and it would hurt there bottom line. 

Don't be to sure about that. If for one minute they thought it would improve the stock price it would be gone. 

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Don't be to sure about that. If for one minute they thought it would improve the stock price it would be gone. 

What could possibly make them think that abandoning it could improve the stock price? If folks who hold it only for the OBC all started selling off the stock at once, the price would go down, simple case of supply and demand.

• Like 1

On 7/10/2019 at 5:43 PM, Colo Cruiser said:

It is all about the OBC.   

Actually, it should be about investing in what you use.  The dividend is OK, and the SB is a non-taxable dividend for using the product.

44 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

What could possibly make them think that abandoning it could improve the stock price? If folks who hold it only for the OBC all started selling off the stock at once, the price would go down, simple case of supply and demand.

Personally I hope they don't remove the program.

I guess the question really is how many of the stockholders benefit by the OBC & how many hold the stock for future growth & don't take cruises.

7 hours ago, MissP22 said:

As I said before, I believe this is all a moot point.  Plus, I don't think the CCL board wants to hear angry shareholders voicing their displeasure at the annual stockholder's meeting.  Remember, It's not just Princess cruisers, it's also Carnival, Holland America, Seabourn, P&O, Cunard, Costa and Aida cruisers.  These are customers who use Carnival's products.  If the institutional shareholders start hearing major dissatisfaction from shareholding customers at the annual meeting, certain directors may find themselves out of a job as well as more cautious investors may want out.  Just my two cents...

I feel buying that 100 shares of CCL was one of the best investments I could have made. I've had it for 10 years, have cruised with Princess close to 40 times in the interim, and the share price has doubled. So that's a nice little gain for me, but the best part is all of those  shareholder benefits that I have gotten for all of those cruises, which is sort of like getting non-reportable dividends. I know I have gotten way more back than what I invested.

If/when I no longer can cruise I'll liquidate it, but for now, my financial advisor knows those shares are not to be touched for any reason without my okay!

• Like 2

I've used this benefit a couple months ago, but the cruise was already paid for when I faxed in the form. I see people are occasionally getting success with cruises for next year, but will they apply if I haven't made my final payment yet? If I need to wait, no big deal but thought I would ask. The stock isn't going anywhere. 

14 minutes ago, dearinger said:

I've used this benefit a couple months ago, but the cruise was already paid for when I faxed in the form. I see people are occasionally getting success with cruises for next year, but will they apply if I haven't made my final payment yet? If I need to wait, no big deal but thought I would ask. The stock isn't going anywhere. 

I always apply mine before final.

15 minutes ago, dearinger said:

I’ve had SOBC issued as early as 23 months before a cruise which was helpful when tours were available the next month.

While that might not be routine all of my cruises have been issued SOBC long before a cruise.

On 7/15/2019 at 7:53 AM, Grego said:

Actually, it should be about investing in what you use.  The dividend is OK, and the SB is a non-taxable dividend for using the product.

Well said!   When I realized that RCL didn’t apply my onboard credit for the stock because I got $ from the TA.... sold RCL....love Princess.   Love your tax free benefit for using the product!  Alice

• Like 1