Carnival Wide new standard is acoming now

AAAAmerican

15 hours ago, tattoos said:

Whatever happened to biodegradable paper straws?  Maybe they're too expensive?

That whipped concoction that Carnival calls "whipped butter" tastes like unsalted butter that is whipped to add air into it so it will go further...I wouldn't be surprised to find out that they also put oil in it.  We added salt to the whipped butter on our table in the MDR and it still tasted awful.  

It is not butter, horrible taste and extremely oily. Stick  a rope in a bowl of it, light it and it would burn for days.

8 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Yeah....they are moving to gruel and slop......anything to cut and make the experience cheaper....really?

I'll take the gruel and slop, has to  be better than that bowl of oil!!!

On 7/13/2019 at 4:27 PM, BlerkOne said:

What cruise line hasn't violated environmental standards? Occasionally Carnival is a pioneer and/or trend setter. Look for other polluters to follow.

Anyone that concerned about the environment wouldn't be cruising in the first place.

Violating environmental standards is one thing. What Carnival did was something entirely different. Busted for violating those laws, forced to pay a $40 million fine, put on probation with court appointed monitors on board, and they still continued to break the law. That's complete and total disregard of those standards, but ok let's pretend they're saints now for getting rid of a few items.

On 7/13/2019 at 4:36 PM, RRLLAL said:

I know all about the legal issue. That wasn't my question. What you’re saying is that even though every line is getting rid of plastic straws you don’t think carnival would have if not for the legal issue?

I'd say they probably would've taken steps against things such as straws at some point to follow the trend, but their timing of actually taking action is highly suspect.

skyeman27...I almost choked laughing at your response. 

I am one of the cruisers who will be packing real, honest to goodness butter on my next cruise on Carnival.  We're also packing granulated white sugar packets.  Using that common sugar shaker in the Lido buffet which can easily be contaminated, is not an option for me.  I'm waiting to see if Carnival will provide teaspoons to replace the wooden stirrers they are getting rid of.

• Haha 1

Why are straws such a big deal? Really think about it in the grand scheme of things. You know it's because of what the news told you.

If you truly want to save the environment, you would not cruise at all, but you think you are an activist because of a straw.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gatour said:

Health inspections occur every 6 months on cruise ships.  It won't be exactly every 6 months but a general time frame.

I am not sure how long Carnival has been using the butter crocks, but if it has been more than 6 months, then more likely it passes.  If not we will see in the next few months.  If they disappear then it didn't.  My gut is that it does pass.

Their court hearing was in early June. That's when the judge accepted the deal with prosecutors. Carnival announced the elimination of a handful of items immediately following that decision, to include individually served butter. The community tub of butter was born.

3 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

You cannot think anything on a buffet is sanitary. Caution on the part of the user. On land or sea.

Sure, be cautious, but it's the ones who aren't following the procedures that have now been put in place that will be the problem. So does being cautious mean I shouldn't use the butter at all because of the carelessness of others? That's not reasonable.

It's one thing to set out a bagel or a piece of fruit on a buffet line and have people pick up that food item with a pair of tongs and place that item on their plate. The butter is being handled differently. If everyone used a clean, fresh knife to scoop their own butter as they're supposed to, it wouldn't be much of an issue. But it's already being seen that not everyone is doing that. That's when it becomes a petri dish of trouble.

This butter thing makes me laugh. Didn’t hear one person complain on our 2 week cruise about the whipped butter in the MDR. Not a one and our family of 4 used it for a couple rolls each every night we ate in the MDR which was 12 of the 14 nights. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

If you truly want to save the environment, you would not cruise at all, but you think you are an activist because of a straw

I don't understand this statement. I am an environmentalist and don't see how my cruising will have any environmental issue. 

6 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

Why are straws such a big deal? Really think about it in the grand scheme of things. You know it's because of what the news told you.

If you truly want to save the environment, you would not cruise at all, but you think you are an activist because of a straw.

It's something that can be done that people can see with their own eyes. It's a feel-good measure and good PR. Getting rid of straws on cruise ships won't even put a dent in the global use of disposable plastics. They got rid of ink pens in the cabins "to keep them out of the oceans." How many people were chucking their pens overboard?

3 minutes ago, RRLLAL said:

This butter thing makes me laugh. Didn’t hear one person complain on our 2 week cruise about the whipped butter in the MDR. Not a one and our family of 4 used it for a couple rolls each every night we ate in the MDR which was 12 of the 14 nights. 

The talk about the quality of the butter is an offshoot of the plastics discussion, but is a totally different topic. I'm not a connoisseur of butter. The MDR butter tastes fine to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, twodaywonder said:

You cannot think anything on a buffet is sanitary. Caution on the part of the user. On land or sea.

Welll.....that certainly is one view....possibly jaded, but a view none the less.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:19 PM, patrice1 said:

Always bring our own stainless straws.  Plastic is truly killing the oceans . The rest is just nonsense.

Dear patrice1,

Yes I do agree.Thank You.

But as well in the Oceans many forget about the vast Over Fishing /Harvesting nand the Non-Replenishments of FISH.

Many do not know of the different salinities either. A major cause is the taking of Sea Shells at tyhe Sea Shore.

Calcium , etc..is not being replaced/replenished now.

Where in the World is the United Nations reaping Billions of our Dollars and on this subject matter?

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, coevan said:

I don't understand this statement. I am an environmentalist and don't see how my cruising will have any environmental issue. 

Fuel/emissions to travel to said port, fuel/emissions from the ship itself (a lot), food waste/overconsumption, destruction to nature reefs/wildlife/natural reserves, etc. The list goes on. Literally everything about it is terrible for the environment.

How many people here want to try multiple dishes, but finish nothing? How many people need their towels replaced twice per day? How many people need their water out of bottles? So many wasteful habits just because.

The straw thing is mostly for companies to save a bit of money while showing face for some good PR. In the grand scheme of things, it's an absolute joke.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Welll.....that certainly is one view....possibly jaded, but a view none the less.

I have seen more than once someone doing things with there hands while walking up to the buffet. Then squeezing a roll and not taking it, Checking the gravy with a finger. Sneezing or coughing directly at the buffet. The butter thing is minor. Take yours from the edge where usually no one does. AS for plastic in our oceans. It is not the plastic. Again it is those that toss it there. People are the problem, not the plastic. Same as trash along our roadways. Sure, blame the plastic. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

I have seen more than once someone doing things with there hands while walking up to the buffet. Then squeezing a roll and not taking it, Checking the gravy with a finger. Sneezing or coughing directly at the buffet. The butter thing is minor. Take yours from the edge where usually no one does. AS for plastic in our oceans. It is not the plastic. Again it is those that toss it there. People are the problem, not the plastic. Same as trash along our roadways. Sure, blame the plastic. 

Just a comment on taking it from the edge.  Since it's now put in a crock that is similar to a tall mug with no handle, there is no edge.  That's one of the problems.  People reach their entire hand into the crock to get butter.  In doing so, they get butter on all of the sides of the inside of the crock all of the way up to the top.  So, their hands touch the butter.  I know that some people do not wash their hands after using the restroom, so when I know there have been hands that touch the actual butter being served, I choose not to use that butter. 

As far as the buffet utensils that people use, I always sanitize my hands after using them before I eat.  That does no good if I eat the butter that people have touched with their bare hands.  It would be better if they did have it on a large plate where I could get some of the butter from an area that hasn't been touched.  It's not a huge deal to me because I just don't eat the butter (or rolls since I like them with butter).  However, if someone who has a virus touches their bare hands all of the butter, they could make other people sick.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

Just a comment on taking it from the edge.  Since it's now put in a crock that is similar to a tall mug with no handle, there is no edge.  That's one of the problems.  People reach their entire hand into the crock to get butter.  In doing so, they get butter on all of the sides of the inside of the crock all of the way up to the top.  So, their hands touch the butter.  I know that some people do not wash their hands after using the restroom, so when I know there have been hands that touch the actual butter being served, I choose not to use that butter. 

As far as the buffet utensils that people use, I always sanitize my hands after using them before I eat.  That does no good if I eat the butter that people have touched with their bare hands.  It would be better if they did have it on a large plate where I could get some of the butter from an area that hasn't been touched.  It's not a huge deal to me because I just don't eat the butter (or rolls since I like them with butter).  However, if someone who has a virus touches their bare hands all of the butter, they could make other people sick.

Am I reading this correctly. You are saying people use there hands to get the butter? Really?

1 minute ago, twodaywonder said:

Am I reading this correctly. You are saying people use there hands to get the butter? Really?

I am saying that when people use the same butter knife to get their butter, they get butter on their hands when they reach in to get it.  There is butter all of the way to the top of the crock.  I saw one guy use a butter utensil, reach in to the crock to get his butter, get butter on his hands, wipe his hands on his pants, and then reach his hand (using the utensil) back into the crock to get more butter.  It's not like on a plate where you can get it easily.  It's in a crock where people can get their entire hand in it while using the butter utensil.  I have seen it happen and it grosses me out.

I eat at least two meals a day at the buffet and have never gotten sick on any of my cruises.  However, I draw the line at getting butter that has touched people's hands.

• Thanks 1

Well, guest it must happen. I have never seen that. Personally I hate the wrapped butter. Always gets my fingers with butter on them trying to open and remove the butter. Now fold the wrapper and get more butter on where ever you place it. Usually the table. Now they need to dispose of it in the correct place. On a few ships (Not Carnival) they had squares of butter in a tub where you took small tongs to get your butter. That I think is a great way to do it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, twodaywonder said:

Well, guest it must happen. I have never seen that. Personally I hate the wrapped butter. Always gets my fingers with butter on them trying to open and remove the butter. Now fold the wrapper and get more butter on where ever you place it. Usually the table. Now they need to dispose of it in the correct place. On a few ships (Not Carnival) they had squares of butter in a tub where you took small tongs to get your butter. That I think is a great way to do it.

I think it would be a great solution to have the squares of butter in a tub and tongs.  Great idea!

Wow..all this hub ub for some straws and butter in a crock?   LOL.

I was just on the Horizon 2 months ago...they had the crock of butter to take the butter from, just as I have seen on many buffets on land.   I never found it an issue, not now and not before when I have seen it elsewhere.  

I do enjoy straws, so I will bring my own from now on, you can also bring a bunch of those little sealed butters and put them in your fridge if you are so upset about the butter on board.

All this kerfuffle over butter and straws and not one mention of them doing away with the little individual boxes of cereal?
We love taking the boxes for a dry snack with us either to the room or while walking around in port!

I love how people embrace change.  In regards to the cereal boxes, I imagine going to the dispenser will save them money despite the economical issues.  I cannot count the number of times ew have seen people on the last morning stuffing their carry on with boxes of cereal.  

• Like 1