Lunch in the Dining Room on Embarkation Day

esther e

Just now, esther e said:

I know they used to have a Mariner's lunch in the main dining room on Embarkation Day and wonder if they still do.  I'd much prefer this to the Lido.

Yes they still do on most cruises.  The lunch is no longer restricted to Mariners.

1 hour ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

After we drop off our carry ons in the cabin we head for the dining room for lunch.  It is a nice way to start a cruise.

Lunch is from Noon until 1:30.

Do they automatically seat you with others or can you get a table for two?

15 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

No issues getting a table for 2.  Just ask. 

Agree it's the best way to kick off the cruise.  

14 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Your choice.  The MDR is not usually that busy on embarkation.

Excellent news.  Thanks so much to you both! 😊

Embarkation day lunch in the MDR is a well kept secret.  Just got off the Amsterdam and we headed for the MDR after dropping off our luggage on embarkation day.  There were very few people there and the lunch was wonderful, the atmosphere very relaxed.

• Like 1

was on Zaandam June 15  Headed straight for dining room after visiting cabin  I had checked the program to make sure I was in the appropriate times  I was met 20 ft from host post and turned away  was told there was no lunch  go to lido   I pointed to time on program and host said   oh you are Mariner   I said yes   Got seated   about 10 in dining room   one more example of HAL not wanting us in dining room    Keep us at Lido for herd feeding   Until this year I was always greeted pleasantly by host  4 cruises this year and it always seems to be a big imposition  I travel with my mom or girlfriend and am willing to share . I usually bring a small token as a gift either with a holiday theme or texas flavor  I am patient, never greedy for a window but hosts act like it is such a hard chore to find a table   Witnessed gentleman who caused the host to raise his voice because he had dared to ask how long the wait was expected to be for a table for 2  After he was seated host told those of us waiting to share how difficult this couple was every day and how they always came at busy times   so classy  If that dining room is open I'm going   

Just off the Zuiderdam yesterday. We had lunch upon boarding the ship. Times were listed in the "When and Where" we were handed as we boarded the ship. The MDR was not crowded and it was a wonderful way to start our cruise.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, jlnprt said:

Just off the Zuiderdam yesterday. We had lunch upon boarding the ship. Times were listed in the "When and Where" we were handed as we boarded the ship. The MDR was not crowded and it was a wonderful way to start our cruise.

Happy it worked well for you and hoping the same for me upon boarding Nieuw Statendam in September. 

Edited by Librarymomb

2 hours ago, JudithLynne said:

Embarkation day lunch in the MDR is a well kept secret.  Just got off the Amsterdam and we headed for the MDR after dropping off our luggage on embarkation day.  There were very few people there and the lunch was wonderful, the atmosphere very relaxed.

It is not such a well-kept secret, however ,many of us make a personal choice to go To Lido  rather than DR.

My late DH and I always opted for Ldio , always found a table and had the lunch we wanted.:-)

It's great to have choices

image.png.56e912bc4d850d6b5c655ba33ec25868.png

sail.noordam@gmail.com

46 minutes ago, Librarymomb said:

Happy it worked well for you and hoping the same for me upon boarding Nieuw Statendam in September. 

11 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Does anyone happen to have a menu for embarkation day lunch in the MDR?  Trying to convince my cabin-mate that it's a better choice than the Dive-In on the first day onboard...

For us, the big attraction is not the food -- it is being served, and having an opportunity to relax/get into "cruise mode". 

From what I can remember there's usually a couple of salad-type starters, a burger (NOT like the Dive In), a pasta dish, and a steak sandwich or something chicken-y 😉 .  It may not be the same on every ship, but  that's what we've experienced the last couple of times.  Desserts were some kind of cake, and an ice cream something.

I'm sure someone will be along with a menu shortly.  But again, for us it isn't about the food.  It is about the peace and quiet, an opportunity to decompress and get into vacation mode 🙂

• Like 5

1 minute ago, VennDiagram said:

For us, the big attraction is not the food -- it is being served, and having an opportunity to relax/get into "cruise mode". 

From what I can remember there's usually a couple of salad-type starters, a burger (NOT like the Dive In), a pasta dish, and a steak sandwich or something chicken-y 😉 .  It may not be the same on every ship, but  that's what we've experienced the last couple of times.  Desserts were some kind of cake, and an ice cream something.

I'm sure someone will be along with a menu shortly.  But again, for us it isn't about the food.  It is about the peace and quiet, an opportunity to decompress and get into vacation mode 🙂

I completely agree with you.  Trying to avoid the zooey atmosphere of the Lido area and relaxing into the first day!

10 minutes ago, Moriah said:

I completely agree with you.  Trying to avoid the zooey atmosphere of the Lido area and relaxing into the first day!

IMO, it is wonderful to have choices.

image.png.4c2e44c0de60f5f4b1b1d3ba37667182.png

sail.noodam@gmail.com

15 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Would your cabin-mate be swayed to Embarkation Lunch in the MDR with the promise of a visit from a steward who will take your order for "adult beverages" to accompany lunch? 😉  (Yes you might get that at the Lido, but not as efficiently 😉 )

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

Would your cabin-mate be swayed to Embarkation Lunch in the MDR with the promise of a visit from a steward who will take your order for "adult beverages" to accompany lunch? 😉  (Yes you might get that at the Lido, but not as efficiently 😉 )

Good point. Could help, thanks!

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Moriah said:

Does anyone happen to have a menu for embarkation day lunch in the MDR?  Trying to convince my cabin-mate that it's a better choice than the Dive-In on the first day onboard...

As requested menu for Embarktion Day (scroll down):

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/KD-Embarkation-Day.pdf

This was the same Embarkation Day MDR Mariner-only lunch menu served on the Westerdam last month.

Edited by Crew News
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SilvertoGold said:

Westerdam MDR was not checking for Mariner status at the June 16 and 23 Dining Room lunch.  There were only about 400 Mariners per cruise.

On June 2, there were about 50 Mariners in the MDR for lunch if I remember correctly.