Norwegian Water Prices

sandtfromwv

Carnival allows a certain amount of water to be carried on board their cruises- and from what I'm reading now charges only $4.50 per 12 pack of purified water (so $9 for 24 bottles)  Am I correct that Norwegian doesn't allow water to be carried on?  And they charge $36 for a 24 pack of 16 oz waters!  That's 4 times as much as Carnival!  Am I reading something incorrectly or is Norwegian way out of line on pricing?

Just my opinion but...what is truly outrageous is paying anything for purified water produced in a bottling plant from filtered municipal water,  when you can fill a bottle on the ship with water filtered in the same way as said purified water you just paid for, except for free.  The bonus of the free water is you also don't need to dispose of the plastic bottle that then ends up in some way polluting the very ocean you are cruising to enjoy.  In no activist and I will of course purchase a bottle here and there but if driving the price up also limits the numbers of bottles landing on a beach some where... so be it.   

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Buying bottled water anywhere is crazy to me.  I understand there's a need and a place, but not the way the industry has brainwashed the masses.  Evian spelled backwards is...😉

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

33 minutes ago, VtMac said:

Just my opinion but...what is truly outrageous is paying anything for purified water produced in a bottling plant from filtered municipal water,  when you can fill a bottle on the ship with water filtered in the same way as said purified water you just paid for, except for free.

Not only your opinion, mine also.  The water produced by the ship is most likely as good as, if not better than, the water you pay for in bottles.  On 3 cruises, on 2 different lines, I never drank bottled water, just water from the tap in my room or from the jug in the buffet (same water, different dispensing system) and never had a problem.  The water produced by mass-market cruise ships is probably better quality than many municipal water systems.

• Like 2

I ordered the $4.50 12-pack on a Carnival cruise last month and actually got a 15-pack!  🙂  Having the bottles readily available helped me make sure I was drinking enough water.  But, for my NCL cruise next year, I will likely pass on purchased water and use a refillable bottle instead. I have never had a problem with ship’s water, and I don’t feel like paying NCL’s price. 

Everyone's situation is different. On my next cruise, my cabin is nowhere near the Garden Café. The sink water is purified but not filtered. It can run to a scary green at times, just search for the photos others have posted. I have to have water next to my bed and first thing in the AM for medications. I am happy to pay for the 1 liter bottles delivered to my room, ready in my refrigerator when I want it. Would I be happier if it cost less? Of course, but just like a theme park, I've volunteered to be a captive audience. The one year I tried to go without ordering, I ended up dehydrated and sick. Not doing that again! 

• Like 1

Carnival does not allow you to carry on water bottles (if you can find canned water, that is fine).  But their prices for bottled water are cheap and easy on the budget.  NCL's water prices are crazy-high, but we all know FDR's plan is to push the price envelope as far as he can on everything!  With that said, we did order twelve 1L bottles on our last cruise, and we used them all.

• Like 1

I ordered the 24 pack in April on our 15 day cruise on the Bliss. Didn't want to but we are a family of four and went to some very hot places there on our tours. All four of us had backpacks with a large bottle of water for each. Besides the price it was what we had to do. They were stacked under the safe in the closet when we got to our cabin on embarkation day.

1 hour ago, mdsgu said:

Carnival does not allow you to carry on water bottles (if you can find canned water, that is fine).  But their prices for bottled water are cheap and easy on the budget.  NCL's water prices are crazy-high, but we all know FDR's plan is to push the price envelope as far as he can on everything!  With that said, we did order twelve 1L bottles on our last cruise, and we used them all.

You are correct.  I had forgotten that Carnival now only allows water and soft drinks to be brought on board in cans - not plastic bottles.  Yes, their prices for ordering water are very reasonable and and make it not worth the trouble of carrying it on.  Norwegian... a different story at those prices.  Maybe on my upcoming cruise I'll just bring a water bottle and my Brita pitcher!  😁

6 hours ago, sandtfromwv said:

Carnival allows a certain amount of water to be carried on board their cruises- and from what I'm reading now charges only $4.50 per 12 pack of purified water (so $9 for 24 bottles)  Am I correct that Norwegian doesn't allow water to be carried on?  And they charge $36 for a 24 pack of 16 oz waters!  That's 4 times as much as Carnival!  Am I reading something incorrectly or is Norwegian way out of line on pricing?

Go buy a 16 oz water bottled by Pepsi at a local convenience store and see if you get it for much less than the $1.50 you are paying on the ship. You won't where I live.  The one out of line on pricing is carnival.

NCL sells liter bottles and the cost of a case of water is about the same price per bottle as I see people paying at 7-11 every morning. 

Yup, not what you would pay at Costco, but competitive to a convenience store. 

Please use your own bottles for water.  Think about all that plastic that NCL has to try to recycle.  The water of the ship is just fine and I bet you did a taste test you would not be able to tell any difference.  NCL does have what I think is called an EcoGreen program which is trying to eliminate waste, just as plastic bottles (and plastic straws) so this may be there way to helping out the ecology.  I always bring my own water bottles and reusable straws (if I need to have a drink with a straw).  Just follow standard sanitation  practices and everything will be good.

Edited by imacruiser99
correction
  • Like 3

On 7/8/2019 at 2:38 PM, Zippeedee said:

Everyone's situation is different. On my next cruise, my cabin is nowhere near the Garden Café. The sink water is purified but not filtered. It can run to a scary green at times, just search for the photos others have posted. I have to have water next to my bed and first thing in the AM for medications. I am happy to pay for the 1 liter bottles delivered to my room, ready in my refrigerator when I want it. Would I be happier if it cost less? Of course, but just like a theme park, I've volunteered to be a captive audience. The one year I tried to go without ordering, I ended up dehydrated and sick. Not doing that again! 

I understand your concern I have a sister I believed filled the ocean with dam plastic bottles and I am taking her on her first cruise she almost had a heart attack when she found out about the BOTTLED water cost. I told her it is easy to take care of I was ordering her a Britta Water bottle that filters the water. She worried what about at night. I said very easy have your room steward put a bucket of ice in your room and place your Britta bottle in it. You will have water and the fish will have a home with less plastic in it. I am sorry but anyone over the age of 50 has had tap water and worst we use to even drink from a garden hose and look we are ALIVE.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, jhawknj said:

I understand your concern I have a sister I believed filled the ocean with dam plastic bottles and I am taking her on her first cruise she almost had a heart attack when she found out about the BOTTLED water cost. I told her it is easy to take care of I was ordering her a Britta Water bottle that filters the water. She worried what about at night. I said very easy have your room steward put a bucket of ice in your room and place your Britta bottle in it. You will have water and the fish will have a home with less plastic in it. I am sorry but anyone over the age of 50 has had tap water and worst we use to even drink from a garden hose and look we are ALIVE.

We all drank from the hose, and the spiquet that came out of the side of the hose (or whatever it is called where you live) and everyone over 50 someone is still alive.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2019 at 8:15 AM, sandtfromwv said:

Except on the POA where you can get 16 ounce (actually 500ml) bottles, the water prices are for 1 liter bottles of name brand water (Aquafina, I think)  .... about 35 ounces. It's about the same as what my local supermarket sells it for. But still far more than I would consider a "good deal".  We drink Costco brand bottled water that is purified using ozone instead of chlorine or chloramines, and it is cheap.

The 12 pack of 1 liter bottles is what we usually buy, and it costs $27.95, plus 20% gratuity, so the total is $33.54. It's a high price for convenience, but we will pay it. In the overall scheme of things it's not a big part of our trip budget.

Edit to add: I just looked up 1 liter Aquafina at Costco Business, and a 15 pack costs $19.39. That's $1.29 per bottle while NCL is charging $2.80 per bottle.

Edited by fshagan
Add Costco pricing for Aquafina

NCL isn't going EcoGreen - IMHO - with its double standard of eliminating straws everywhere while peddling bottled water, whether it's the "premium" house brand, Aquafina and/or sparkling water to help save planet earth.  Cases of plastic bottles thrown away & needed to be collected and recycled - generating far more junks than plastic straws.  

Furthermore, when they can install water dispensing station for reusable water bottles instead of status quo with the existing setup at the buffet ... We can count numerous times, each & every time we are on NCL - more than a few passengers sticking their own bottles under the nozzle, clean or maybe not washed/rinsed out prior ...  Meanwhile, crew members seen in the area just looked the other way and/or pretended that they didn't see anything at all, let alone risk challenging or confronting those cruisers.  

Each & every time I walk up to the buffet beverage station for a refill, I am tempted to just look both ways and stick our contigo bottles directly under for a faster refill.  Now that ice & ice buckets are optional and no longer provided - by default - for OV and Insides (Studios too on mega/+ ships) - just don't feel this is helping, that some of us don't mind going eco-friendly, but.  Feel free to discuss & agree to disagree. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mking8288 said:

NCL isn't going EcoGreen - IMHO - with its double standard of eliminating straws everywhere while peddling bottled water, whether it's the "premium" house brand, Aquafina and/or sparkling water to help save planet earth.  Cases of plastic bottles thrown away & needed to be collected and recycled - generating far more junks than plastic straws.  

Furthermore, when they can install water dispensing station for reusable water bottles instead of status quo with the existing setup at the buffet ... We can count numerous times, each & every time we are on NCL - more than a few passengers sticking their own bottles under the nozzle, clean or maybe not washed/rinsed out prior ...  Meanwhile, crew members seen in the area just looked the other way and/or pretended that they didn't see anything at all, let alone risk challenging or confronting those cruisers.  

Each & every time I walk up to the buffet beverage station for a refill, I am tempted to just look both ways and stick our contigo bottles directly under for a faster refill.  Now that ice & ice buckets are optional and no longer provided - by default - for OV and Insides (Studios too on mega/+ ships) - just don't feel this is helping, that some of us don't mind going eco-friendly, but.  Feel free to discuss & agree to disagree. 

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/regent-says-goodbye-to-plastic-in-switch-to-vero-water/

maybe NCL will be next

On 7/8/2019 at 8:22 PM, imacruiser99 said:

Please use your own bottles for water.  Think about all that plastic that NCL has to try to recycle.  The water of the ship is just fine and I bet you did a taste test you would not be able to tell any difference.  NCL does have what I think is called an EcoGreen program which is trying to eliminate waste, just as plastic bottles (and plastic straws) so this may be there way to helping out the ecology.  I always bring my own water bottles and reusable straws (if I need to have a drink with a straw).  Just follow standard sanitation  practices and everything will be good.

Think about all the plastic NCL wastes by using single use plastic cups on the thousands and thousands of alcoholic beverages they serve per day. Other cruise lines has reusable plastic cups that can be washed...why doesn't NCL?