Disappointed with Norwegian

CruncheyFrog

1 hour ago, Diane67B said:

Crunchey Frog, I think I understand where you are coming from. It is horrible that you have to miss a trip that I am sure both you and your wife were excited about. I wish you good health in the future and hopefully you can rebook a cruise soon.

Thank you very much for your kind words and good wishes. Safe travels to you as well.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Kwaj girl said:

NOT true.  Travelex "Travel Select" policy is the one we always purchase.  As long as you purchase your policy within 21 days of making your first trip payment, you ARE covered for pre-existing conditions.  Do your research.

I believe that company only sells policies in the USA and I am in Canada. I guess you didn't see some of the previous posts that indicated where I am from.

On 7/10/2019 at 2:22 PM, Son of a son of a ... said:

No, the legacy airlines provided refunds when the doctor certified that she was going to die in six months and her illness prevented her from traveling.  

PS - "But that's what travel insurance is for!"  You are an idiot for such a trite statement.  While I hope you do not get pancreatic cancer, I would relish the day I could throw that back at you.  

I hope no one gets cancer but that is just an appeal to pity.  The other person is 100% right.  That IOS what insurance is for.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:03 PM, CruncheyFrog said:

Your example is not quite the same. McDonald's can't resell your burger. NCL can (and will) resell our room. In fact, they will get 75% of my money, plus 100% of someone else's money, so they will almost double how much they made from that cabin. We weren't even looking for a credit, we were looking for a credit towards another cruise.

It is not NCL's job to make up for your cancellation.  Besides unless they sell EVERY cabin on the ship, the fat that your particular cabin is resold is moot.

On 7/10/2019 at 3:13 PM, CruncheyFrog said:

There are two problems with your reply. First of all, We had travel insurance, so it's not like we were trying to beat the system by not purchasing it. Secondly, we are asking for a credit based on something that is verifiable (doctor's report), and not simply because we don't want to go on the trip.

Why you want the credit is not at all relevant to the discussion at at hand.  If you have insurance it is the insurance company you should be mad at.  If you crash your new ford and geico refuses your claim do you get mad at ford?

On 7/10/2019 at 3:19 PM, CruncheyFrog said:

There are no insurance companies that would cover this, so we thought we would ask NCL  to help us out. A little goodwill can go a long way. And it's not like these things happen to a high percentage of travellers prior to their trips.

Oh I see.  You know that NCL owes you nothing and that you could have chosen "'cancel for any reason"  insurance (but didn't).  Now when you ask NCL to "do the right thing" (a cute way of saying "I have no valid case but if I guilt trip you enough you might cave") and they say they are going by the policy, NCL is the bad guy.  So easy to understand now!   Why didn't you say that in the fist place? 🙄

On 7/10/2019 at 4:30 PM, PTC DAWG said:

I always purchase the insurance before final payment...

That does not necessarily cover pre-existing conditions. If you want pre-existing conditions covered you have to purchase within about 14 days of BOOKING (it varies by insurance company and policy).

58 minutes ago, zqvol said:

That does not necessarily cover pre-existing conditions. If you want pre-existing conditions covered you have to purchase within about 14 days of BOOKING (it varies by insurance company and policy).

His issue with pre-existing conditions is with the medical insurance not for cancellation.  Evidently this is a Canadian issue.  In the USA our medical will reimburse us for out of the country whether or not it is a pre-existing condition (yes medicare does not cover outside the US)  The OP is fine to travel, he just isn't comfortable with travelling since his medical would not cover him in the Baltic countries.  So not the issue

9 hours ago, CruncheyFrog said:

https://www.bmo.com/pdf/World_Elite_Cardholder_Agreement.pdf

I asked NCL for a favor, and they refused, which left me disappointed. Below is the link for the policy wording of my travel insurance. The coverage is fairly elaborate, but it is clear that I have no coverage for pre-existing conditions on this trip, and no coverage for Trip Cancellation, as I am physically able to travel.  I cancelled my trip because I would rather lose $6500 now than take the chance of losing a much larger amount of money (potentially hundreds of thousands of dollars). That is the long and short of this whole matter. https://www.bmo.com/pdf/World_Elite_Cardholder_Agreement.pdf

So since you are okay with favors can you pay for my next cruise as a favor? If you don't I'll be super disappointed even though you're not legally obligated to do so and post about it on a message board. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, CruncheyFrog said:

As another poster noted, in Canada you have to apply separately, the cost is prohibitive, and there is no guarantee that an insurance company will even give you this coverage in Canada.

Why don't you call around to the insurance companies?  Even if it is "cost-prohibitive" I can't imagine it being >$6500 for a few months for 2 relatively healthy people.  If it comes in <6500 you basically save money and get a free vacation compared to cancelling now.

On 7/10/2019 at 1:56 PM, CruncheyFrog said:

We had travel insurance prior to booking. And even when an illness occurs after travel insurance is in place, but prior to the trip, the pre-existing condition applies. If you end up in a European hospital because of your pre-existing condition, you are paying out of your own pocket, which can run into tens of thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of dollars. This is why we are cancelling, as it is a big chance to take. Apparently many people aren't sympathetic to this problem. NCL could easily rebook a balcony room within a month. Any money they lost would be made up in future bookings that I, my friends and family would have booked with NCL in the future.

I am sorry this had to happen to you. But if you think they could easily sell you cabin don't be so sure. As it has been explained to me by my TA: in order for the insurance to cover pre existing conditions you need to take the insurance within 14 days of booking your cruise. I too would be disappointed but I also understand the cruise lines position. 

On 7/10/2019 at 2:19 PM, CruncheyFrog said:

There are no insurance companies that would cover this, so we thought we would ask NCL  to help us out. A little goodwill can go a long way. And it's not like these things happen to a high percentage of travellers prior to their trips.

A little goodwill here and a little there: where does a business draw the line? Your situation is not much different than what many of us face. They may not happen every day but they happen more than you may realize.   I can't imagine why you would expect NCL to give you something when your own insurance will not. Plus, it appears whether you have a doctors note or not, you are not having any problems right now, you just think you may while on the cruise. My husband has cruised many times with hernia issues and yes, they have flared up but not enough to keep us from enjoying vacations. I have one right now. As for your condition I know from friends that is can be horrible, but they don't spend time worrying about whether or not they should travel. If it were me, I would just take the trip and hope for the best. 

15 hours ago, zqvol said:

I had coverage as soon as I booked. My policy excludes pre-existing conditions. I have read my policy wording multiple times.

14 hours ago, NittanyCruise said:

So since you are okay with favors can you pay for my next cruise as a favor? If you don't I'll be super disappointed even though you're not legally obligated to do so and post about it on a message board. 

I don't have quite as much money as NCL, and they can resell my room and recover most, if not all, or their money.

2 hours ago, CruncheyFrog said:

I don't have quite as much money as NCL, and they can resell my room and recover most, if not all, or their money.

Why should NCL do this favor for you, when they refused to give refunds or credits to others in the same situation?  What makes you more special?

19 hours ago, CruisingNole said:

Reading these comments from you miserable bastards makes me remember why the world sucks so much.

LOL.  You saying all the responses suck?  I've seen some pretty good advice.  My main take is that Canadian Insurance stinks.   

Edited by PTC DAWG

22 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Why should NCL do this favor for you, when they refused to give refunds or credits to others in the same situation?  What makes you more special?

I didn't know that they had refused others. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know that, and I never said I was special.

4 minutes ago, CruncheyFrog said:

I didn't know that they had refused others. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to know that, and I never said I was special.

Oh, come on now... IF NCL (or any vendor!) gave refunds to ANYONE WHO ASKED, for the assorted claimed reasons that would be used, pretty soon so many would be asking that.... there would be no more vendor.

You are just being disingenuous.

Just think about it!

Or are you so involved in your own "poor me" story that you cannot see the bigger picture?

GC

• Like 2

I think perhaps we should give the OP a break at this point. Don’t you? He has repeatedly stated his case. This conversation is just going in circles now. Like I mentioned previously, I am also in Canada and always purchase awesome insurance that protects me from everything that may go wrong, before or during the cruise. I am sure in the future, the OP will look into better coverage.

Hope everyone here is having an awesome evening.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:18 PM, CruncheyFrog said:

I believe that company only sells policies in the USA and I am in Canada. I guess you didn't see some of the previous posts that indicated where I am from.

Wow...remind me never to complain about NCL.  It's like throwing a bone to a dog:-)  But  I am actually a huge fan of NCL & I've never found fault with any of my dealings with them. So people back off!!  We are all entitled to our opinions on our experiences.  And if it doesn't personally hurt us then let someone  vent.

So...CruncheyFrog I guess you missed the mark in getting the proper insurance.  I am also Canadian and your insurance absolutely has to be more than just 'well my Mastercard makes sure I'm safe'.  We as Canadians do have the advantage of having full on health care for everyone; but that doesn't travel with you.  Sometimes things happen and you need a place to vent..apparently this isn't the place.  

Cheers, Sandy

Edited by Samstress
  • Like 2

On 7/10/2019 at 3:14 PM, GeezerCouple said:

Repeating:  Why are you refusing to disclose which insurance policy you had, or even if it was USA-based or not?

In the USA, it is ABSOLUTELY possible to get coverage that INCLUDES pre-existing conditions.

Full stop.

GC

I agree!  I have a pre-existing plan on our upcoming cruise 

8 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

My main take is that Canadian Insurance stinks.   

No Canadian insurance does not stink.  Unfortunately the OP did not do all her homework and relied on credit card insurance.  There are companies who insure prior existing conditions -- some are expensive and some moderately priced.  Some policies have 2-5-10 year exclusions.  A good insurance broker will assist someone with the best insurance for their circumstances.

Credit Card insurance can sound very good -- but make sure you read the fine print.  About a year ago I was invited to apply for a credit card with excellent benefits which required having a specific income.  To make a long story short -- when I read the insurance coverage - I thought - Great might not have to purchase annual out of province medical & cancellation insurance!!!  And then ..... I read the tiny, tiny, tiny fine print -- saying that it was only for people under 65 years.  So -- all the benefits did not apply to me and I still purchase annual medical & cancellation insurance to cover any trips/cruises that I may take.

I hope that the OP will be able to travel and enjoy her cruise.