IJmuiden Shuttle Buses

cloudsong14

Hi all,

I'm going on Ventura this Sunday and we call at IJmuiden (for Amsterdam).  

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of using the shuttle buses - how long they take, how often they run etc?  Any information would be most helpful.  I've never been to Amsterdam before so I want to make the most of my time there.

Thanks

19 hours ago, cloudsong14 said:

Hi all,

I'm going on Ventura this Sunday and we call at IJmuiden (for Amsterdam).  

Just wondered if anyone had any experience of using the shuttle buses - how long they take, how often they run etc?  Any information would be most helpful.  I've never been to Amsterdam before so I want to make the most of my time there.

Thanks

not done it, but from what others have posted, runs a lot smoother now, then when it started. working on a permanent loop so should always be one there, or shortly arriving. Takes about 40 minutes each way. They do run nearly 24 hours (i think the frequency is less in the early hours of the morning)

We went to Amsterdam via Ijmuiden on the first arrival at this port offloading at 1.30pm. By this time most of the ship was waiting to get off, causing long queues on and off the ship (quayside). The shuttle bus takes 35-40 minutes and drops you at a good location 5 minutes from Grand central station, right by the river boats a little bit nearer than the Cruise ship terminal...a pleasant walk into Amsterdam. If the ship docks in the morning (8.00am) getting off is easier as passengers will be having breakfast etc. If like us lunchtime docking I would be interested if anyone has more current information. Disability coaches were excellent with rear lifts...just a thought on lunchtime docking if it’s possible crew should use the buses after the first wave freeing up more space for passengers to help the queuing.

• 2 weeks later...

We have just returned from the cruise calling at Ijmuiden.  There are 25 coaches running a shuttle service into Amsterdam.  We disembarked around 10.30 a.m. on the first morning and walked straight onto one of the coaches which left immediately.  However, it seems that between 4 and 4.30 p.m. is the most popular time for returning to the ship, and the queue was huge when we arrived back at the pick up point. It did look a little daunting, but to be fair 6 coaches arrived and we didn't have too long a wait at all.  Be aware, though, that there is nowhere to sit (other than the floor) while waiting for the return coaches.  The journey into Amsterdam is not very scenic and does take around 40-45 minutes.  The shuttle service runs throughout the night, although much less frequently than during the day.

1 minute ago, snaefell said:

Just curious to know why P&O no longer use the cruise terminal in Amsterdam & does this apply to other lines?

Because apparently Amsterdam port now charge a per person rate tax for cruise ships docking in Southampton and P&O wont pay it.

22 minutes ago, snaefell said:

Just curious to know why P&O no longer use the cruise terminal in Amsterdam & does this apply to other lines?

Yes it applies to many other lines mostly Carnival group but also a number of others.

We are on N936 to Amsterdam on Dec 13th, just had an email to update the intinerary so that we arrive in IJmuiden on Sunday morning instead of Saturday and leave Monday afternoon, so basically a day later. The sea day has moved to before IJmuiden instead of afterwards. Perhaps an early arrival spreads out the demand for the shuttle buses.

The email says: In order for us to offer you an efficient shuttle bus service into
Amsterdam, we have arranged to arrive in IJmuiden earlier than originally
scheduled. As a result, we have rotated the port order and made some time
amendments for our call to IJmuiden.

5 hours ago, snaefell said:

Amsterdam city council are trying to reduce the number of visitors since tourism has reached the point where it's seriously affecting residents' quality of life in some areas. They're both reducing promotion of the city as a tourist destination and making active efforts to moderate if not actually deter tourism with measures such as the tax on cruise ship passengers.

Other European cities are facing similar problems, e.g. Bruges is rationing cruise ship calls to Zebrugge especially at weekends, but the problem isn't restricted to cruise ship passengers. Rome now has strict bylaws about eating in public in certain places to reduce congestion caused by crowds of tourists standing around eating slices of pizza.

5 minutes ago, kentchris said:

Amsterdam city council are trying to reduce the number of visitors since tourism has reached the point where it's seriously affecting residents' quality of life in some areas. They're both reducing promotion of the city as a tourist destination and making active efforts to moderate if not actually deter tourism with measures such as the tax on cruise ship passengers.

Other European cities are facing similar problems, e.g. Bruges is rationing cruise ship calls to Zebrugge especially at weekends, but the problem isn't restricted to cruise ship passengers. Rome now has strict bylaws about eating in public in certain places to reduce congestion caused by crowds of tourists standing around eating slices of pizza.

Venice now has some strict new bylaws about eating in public places and dress as well. News article about it last week, the tourists were fined on the spot and told to leave the city.

Has everyone forgot about the issues P&O had getting through the locks and how often they didn't manage to dock in Amsterdam, resulting in stories of whole cruises being 'just floating around at sea..'

We were lucky and docking in Amsterdam was fantastic, just a short stroll to the centre but it is now a thing of the past.

Andy

25 minutes ago, the english lady said:

I was going to say I didn't think it was just the port fees, but also the council not wanting cruise passengers there for a few hours in their 1000's, but not adding a lot to the local economy.

Yes it is a tourist tax.

6 minutes ago, snaefell said:

With all these bigger cruise ships are we seeing them struggling to find places willing to welcome them?

Yes. Certainly they're no longer welcome in overvisited places like Venice and Amsterdam because they've got more than enough visitors already and cruise passengers are notorious for not spending much.

27 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

Yes. Certainly they're no longer welcome in overvisited places like Venice and Amsterdam because they've got more than enough visitors already and cruise passengers are notorious for not spending much.

I can certainly identify with that,on one cruise stop in Norway we had a local bar owner complaining of the very same,6 pints later he had his accordion in full flow & the whole bar was full of music,an unforgettable day,I think we spent more that day than most passengers!

21 hours ago, AlanCruise said:

We are on N936 to Amsterdam on Dec 13th, just had an email to update the intinerary so that we arrive in IJmuiden on Sunday morning instead of Saturday and leave Monday afternoon, so basically a day later. The sea day has moved to before IJmuiden instead of afterwards. Perhaps an early arrival spreads out the demand for the shuttle buses.

The email says: In order for us to offer you an efficient shuttle bus service into
Amsterdam, we have arranged to arrive in IJmuiden earlier than originally
scheduled. As a result, we have rotated the port order and made some time
amendments for our call to IJmuiden.

We've had a similar email about our cruise in February, perhaps early morning arrival will now be standard procedure 

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2019 at 12:33 PM, brian1 said:

Marella are just passing on the 8 euro tax to passengers accounts.A lot easier.

Carnival as a multibrand decided not to stop there, so its Cunard, Pando, and the others owned by them. 

Plus Marella are just adding to the problem. They do not want cruise ships docking in the centre.

At least where they dock now they will always get into. Maybe Marella do not go there very often to worry about having cruises to nowhere as weather prohibited getting into Amsterdam port.

2 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Carnival as a multibrand decided not to stop there, so its Cunard, Pando, and the others owned by them. 

Plus Marella are just adding to the problem. They do not want cruise ships docking in the centre.

At least where they dock now they will always get into. Maybe Marella do not go there very often to worry about having cruises to nowhere as weather prohibited getting into Amsterdam port.

I don’t think that always getting in is plays any part in Carnivals motivation. If not getting into a port was an impetus for change then St Peter Port would have been the first to go. I have rarely have problems getting into Amsterdam, I can only actually remember one occasion it happened where as St Pete Port is a regular issue.

If Amsterdam didn’t want cruise ships in the centre they would simply ban them. They have not banned them, they just want them to make some financial contribution to make it worth having these types of low spending tourists. 

I would far far prefer to just pay my 8 euros and be right in the centre than muck about queuing for shuttles and wasting my time on a bus. I suspect most passengers would feel the same way.

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

I don’t think that always getting in is plays any part in Carnivals motivation. If not getting into a port was an impetus for change then St Peter Port would have been the first to go. I have rarely have problems getting into Amsterdam, I can only actually remember one occasion it happened where as St Pete Port is a regular issue.

If Amsterdam didn’t want cruise ships in the centre they would simply ban them. They have not banned them, they just want them to make some financial contribution to make it worth having these types of low spending tourists. 

I would far far prefer to just pay my 8 euros and be right in the centre than muck about queuing for shuttles and wasting my time on a bus. I suspect most passengers would feel the same way.

Totally agree. This is purely financial and Carnival are trying to tough it out with Amsterdam in what I hope will be a failed attempt to bully ports into giving way to the mighty Carnival. Passengers are being treated as mere pawns in the battle.

And because P&O still won't come clean on the issue  and tell the truth it just adds to their lack of credibility and any trust you can place in them.

17 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

So maybe change to to the brands that do still stop in the center. I know Fred do. However I think a lot of people like pando's prices more than the smaller more expensive ships.