Items in the fridge

Jim and Monika

I have seen on other posts the mention of asking for particular items to be stocked in your cabin fridge. Soda varieties were mentioned, but nothing about beer or liquor. My question is are these items then charged to the room? We will be upgrading onboard to the premium beverage package. Will this allow us to have items in our room under the program, or will the package only cover items from the bars and restaurants?

Thanks

there is no alcohol  stocked in the fridge   sodas & water only

You can bring your own if you want  or go to the bar/restaurant  

room service may deliver  with  a food order  I am not sure on whether they would just deliver  beverages alone

If you are in a top suite  you will have the 6 bottle  deal (wine & spirits)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jim and Monika said:

I have seen on other posts the mention of asking for particular items to be stocked in your cabin fridge. Soda varieties were mentioned, but nothing about beer or liquor. My question is are these items then charged to the room? We will be upgrading onboard to the premium beverage package. Will this allow us to have items in our room under the program, or will the package only cover items from the bars and restaurants?

Thanks

The booze packages are "per person" purchases- hence the practice of bar and wine staff serving individual drinks directly to passengers at bar and dining venues while those venues are open. 

While O passengers in general are pretty good about not trying to "game the system." It's only common sense that the ship would not pre-stock the regular cabin fridges with booze that could then be shared with non-package guests.

The main reason I am asking is because I'm afraid the bars will be closed by 11 pm. We are used to staying up much later on our vacations. I was hoping to get some extra beers to put in our fridge in case the bars are closed early.

9 minutes ago, Jim and Monika said:

The main reason I am asking is because I'm afraid the bars will be closed by 11 pm. We are used to staying up much later on our vacations. I was hoping to get some extra beers to put in our fridge in case the bars are closed early.

Jim - I'm "new to this party", as well.  My thought would be to just buy some bottles/cans/6-packs in ports, just bring them on board (it's allowed), and put them in the frig, myself, to have on hand

• Like 2

I believe that the item in the rooms is actually more of a cooler and not a refrigerator.  Meaning that it can keep cold things cold but if you bring on warm drinks it will not make them cold.  We purchased an unusual soft drink in port and wanted to chill it but were not able. Our room attendant brought us an ice bucket which solved the problem.  This was a couple years ago when we did this, so things might have changed.   

1 minute ago, KS&JW said:

I believe that the item in the rooms is actually more of a cooler and not a refrigerator.

Folks, is this so?  Not doubting you but would love to verify.

While it won't freeze anything I've always found it able to keep our sodas plenty cold for drinking out of the can. My wife prefers them in a glass though. I'd wouldn't want to keep raw meat in there. 

I like beer cold so it may not keep beer cold enough for some people. 

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, KS&JW said:

I believe that the item in the rooms is actually more of a cooler and not a refrigerator.  

It's been a few years since we sailed O and aren't going this time until NYE.  However, we hear this reported all the time on other lines and our experience has been hit or miss.  We had cabins on RCCL and Carnival that could make/keep stuff cold like a refrigerator and other times just cool.  Still drinkable but not cold.  

I agree  the mini fridge can be cool  to cold   some work better than others

if not cold enough the ice bucket  is always full so just put a can in there for  a few minutes

As to the bars  Horizons is usually open until all the people have gone  maybe midnight +

I am not up that late LOL

Martinis  maybe the same  time frame

I suppose if you really need a beer late at night  you could stockpile a few during the  day if you have the Prestige package  just pick up one  at each bar  & take them back to the cabin 😉

21 minutes ago, Rob the Cruiser said:

Our Marina veranda cabin and Sirena concierge cabin had a mini-fridge similar to this:

1940160092_sirenafridge.jpg.d6df8112fe9746dab6ce2ea2980504cc.jpg

Not much room and bottled beer wouldn't fit in the door shelf. Room temperature items took a few hours to cool.

Thanks for that photo.  Helps a lot.  I would take most of those things out.  You can remove that shelf for space for bottled beer.  Or do like we do with wine.  Lay it down.  It won't kill it.  Promise 🙂

you can take the shelf out to store wine upright as we did on Riviera and Nautica in June.  The white and rose wine was cooled down to serving temperature.  There is always a bucket of ice for soft drinks and water if you want them colder.

On 7/15/2019 at 12:27 PM, clo said:

Thanks for that photo.  Helps a lot.  I would take most of those things out.  You can remove that shelf for space for bottled beer.  Or do like we do with wine.  Lay it down.  It won't kill it.  Promise 🙂

I did take most of those things out. That was my "before picture". :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

On 7/15/2019 at 11:43 AM, clo said:

Folks, is this so?  Not doubting you but would love to verify.

The 2 fridges I've had on this cruise kept drinks and food nice and cold. Could drink the pop without ice if I wanted to. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/15/2019 at 10:48 AM, pingpong1 said:

Jim - I'm "new to this party", as well.  My thought would be to just buy some bottles/cans/6-packs in ports, just bring them on board (it's allowed), and put them in the frig, myself, to have on hand

I'm confused by this as the alcohol policy says that only wine may be brought aboard.  I enjoy an IPA on the balcony and it would be nice to bring a few along for that purpose.  But, that does not appear to be allowed?

Edited by ricka47

1 minute ago, StanandJim said:

Beer is fine, bring along as much as you care to.  The only stipulation is that it must be consumed "in cabin".

Verandas count too! 👍😉

Right - in cabin only for sure.  Yet, don’t the rules state that only wine can be brought on board for consumption?  I don’t want to be held up while boarding because I put a few cans of IPA in my suitcase.

12 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

Right - in cabin only for sure.  Yet, don’t the rules state that only wine can be brought on board for consumption?  I don’t want to be held up while boarding because I put a few cans of IPA in my suitcase.

the Official policy is 6 bottles of wine

The unofficial policy  will allow spirits & beer   as long as it is for in cabin use, Oceania turns a blind eye

You can take more wine  & if you take the bottle to a dining venue  there is  a $25 corkage fee  per bottle

When people start to abuse the generous policy & start taking their cabin stash to public area they will stop turning their heads & the extras will be confiscated

We have brought on a few bottles of wine plus one of vodka for many years with no problem.  As several have stated, for in-cabin consumption only ... which doesn't mean fill your glass with your alcohol choice and wander around the ship.  (Some people posting on CC have seemed to think that was fair game which is the only reason I mention it.)  On one or two occasions I also replenished the vodka with a bottle bought on shore.  I didn't try to hide the liquor when re-boarding the ship and the crew did not care.

Even that "six bottles of wine" restriction is rarely enforced (if ever).  Do a CC search and you will see how many people assert that they have brought on cases of wine with no problem.  Most people won't want a case for a short cruise (!) but when you have a long cruise it's nice to have the option.

35 minutes ago, ricka47 said:

I see - thanks.  I’m a rule follower by nature.  But, I’ll follow the unofficial rule here and it will be for in-cabin use only.

Okay, Rick, repeat after me. "I'll listen to the people that that have cruised on Oceania for the last ten years or more. "

Unless there has been a drastic change in the last 6-8 months you could bring on a 6 pk at every port and no one would care. 

• Like 1