Why Are Minibar Contents Not Included in Drink Package?

Sascol

Perhaps the mini bar should only be stocked when its requested....seems a lot of people ,on arrival,ask for it to be emptied. We often find the contents in a bag and under the bed.

18 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Their ships, their rules.  Don't like it?  Cruise with a line that includes the mini bar if that is your #1 criteria.  MSC Yacht Club does.  Somebody above mentioned that Viking Ocean does.  I'm sure there are other likes that do.

My thoughts too

Also I think Viking is Child-free and the bev is inclusive 

I suspect they charge for minibars for a couple of reasons (1) to stop people emptying the contents and taking them home / providing others (2) To gauge some money out of you when you're at your weakest, returning to your cabin tipsy and your inhibitions to outrageous mini bar prices are reduced.

To be fair to cruise lines I 've stayed in hotels that provide a free bar in the lobby serving free Champagne, Single Malt Scotch, decent wine and Cognac in the lobby lounge all day yet still charge for the contents of your in room minibar

• Like 1

On 7/17/2019 at 1:29 AM, Gordoncruickshank said:

We always get the mini bar emptied as soon as we arrive.

A couple of folks have mentioned this.  May I ask why?  Perhaps you don’t drink alcohol and have no use for it, wanting the space for other items?  How much do mini bar items cost and what is supplied?  Can one ‘customize’ the contents choosing more of what you drink and having removed those you wouldn’t be drinking?

Its been a considerable number of years since we have cruised and I am feeling like I need to take a course!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HollyK said:

A couple of folks have mentioned this.  May I ask why?  Perhaps you don’t drink alcohol and have no use for it, wanting the space for other items?  How much do mini bar items cost and what is supplied?  Can one ‘customize’ the contents choosing more of what you drink and having removed those you wouldn’t be drinking?

Its been a considerable number of years since we have cruised and I am feeling like I need to take a course!

We always have the Premium beverage package and don’t see the point in buying alcohol when it is free everywhere else on the ship. When the mini bar it empty it becomes your own fridge to keep what you have picked up cool. We usually pick up soft drinks and water in Michaels or one of the bars to keep in the fridge.

Celebrity doesn't trust trust their customers. They also constantly looking for more ways to increase revenues. There are tons of cases where people didn't know about this policy and were charged for drinks consumed from the minibar while having the drink package. 

On 7/16/2019 at 8:55 AM, Sascol said:

I have often wondered about this.  You have paid for a drink package.  You can get whatever you want to drink almost anywhere on the ship. What's the difference if I get a vodka drink from a bar vs. the minibar?  Why do cruise lines not allow you to drink minibar contents if you have paid for an all inclusive beverage package?

One gets charged an unknown amount for each item used from the mini-bar as its not included in any package.  You can’t get a drink vía room service.  And you can only get one drink at a time per person so each time you want another drink you must go down/up to a bar to get another and bring it back to your room?  Thus the only way you can have two or three drinks while reading your book in the afternoon on a sea Day is to keep jumping up and running to the nearest bar?  Am I understanding this correctly?  This doesn’t seem terribly relaxing which (at least for us) is what a cruise is all about.  The only alternative then seems it would require you to buy a bottle from guest services pre-cruise which is delivered to your room at a cost - for Scotch - of $135.00 for a 26 oz bottle.  😣🥴😣

I think I will phone guest services and See you soon if I can obtain a list of mini-bar prices.  Perhaps other lines do likewise.  As I haven’t cruised in quite some time I really don’t know.

Thanks for all the help updating my cruising knowledge as I obviously need it!  😁😁

On 7/16/2019 at 4:55 PM, Sascol said:

I have often wondered about this.  You have paid for a drink package.  You can get whatever you want to drink almost anywhere on the ship. What's the difference if I get a vodka drink from a bar vs. the minibar?  Why do cruise lines not allow you to drink minibar contents if you have paid for an all inclusive beverage package?

It's because there will be an increased cost to them. Theft, temptation to have a drink when you're in the cabin but can't be bothered to go to a bar etc. 

On 7/17/2019 at 10:00 AM, Fogfog said:

My thoughts too

Also I think Viking is Child-free and the bev is inclusive 

Beer and wine at lunch and dinner are included and the mini bar is not included with all cabins on Viking.

On 7/16/2019 at 12:09 PM, kathynorth said:

I suspect that mini bottles of alcohol cost more, resulting in a higher cost per serving than drinks made at a bar/restaurant. Plus it would be super easy for passengers to stash away small bottles for take home purposes. 

This....

On 7/16/2019 at 12:13 PM, dkjretired said:

Probably because they can't be certain that a person with a drink package is taking the items.   Basically no control, kids could be taking soda, etc.   In all other cases a person on the staff is handling the transaction.  With that being said, i don't understand why you can't get a drink from room service on the drink package because that can be controlled. 

And this.

As for room service, the labor cost would probably be much higher than if ordering from a bar.