Why Are Minibar Contents Not Included in Drink Package?

Sascol

I have often wondered about this.  You have paid for a drink package.  You can get whatever you want to drink almost anywhere on the ship. What's the difference if I get a vodka drink from a bar vs. the minibar?  Why do cruise lines not allow you to drink minibar contents if you have paid for an all inclusive beverage package?

I guess it's their ship, their rules. I always have a Premium package as a loyalty benefit and have the minibar emptied. I supply the minibar with sodas and water from other bars. I don't drink adult beverages, but if I did would get unopened beer at bars and store them in minibar for future use. 

Edited by Orator

My guess would be, the stateroom attendant would have to have a separate cart for all the beverages and that cuts way back on time for them to finish their normal expected responsibilities... WHILE replenishing those mini-bars where drinks have been consumed.

cheers and bon voyage

• Like 4

I suspect that mini bottles of alcohol cost more, resulting in a higher cost per serving than drinks made at a bar/restaurant. Plus it would be super easy for passengers to stash away small bottles for take home purposes. 

• Like 5

19 minutes ago, Sascol said:

I have often wondered about this.  You have paid for a drink package.  You can get whatever you want to drink almost anywhere on the ship. What's the difference if I get a vodka drink from a bar vs. the minibar?  Why do cruise lines not allow you to drink minibar contents if you have paid for an all inclusive beverage package?

Probably because they can't be certain that a person with a drink package is taking the items.   Basically no control, kids could be taking soda, etc.   In all other cases a person on the staff is handling the transaction.  With that being said, i don't understand why you can't get a drink from room service on the drink package because that can be controlled. 

Edited by dkjretired
  • Like 6

2 minutes ago, dkjretired said:

Probably because they can't be certain that a person with a drink package is taking the items.   Basically no control, kids could be taking soda, etc.   In all other cases a person on the staff is handling the transaction.  With that being said, i don't understand why you can't get a drink from room service on the drink package because that can be controlled. 

Room service agreed.  With the minibar I see your point on the lack of control but if there are two people in the cabin and they both have packages that include the types of drinks in the minibar, to me it makes no sense.   Maybe they are afraid I'll raid the fridge and stand outside of my cabin hawking discounted liquor drinks!

13 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Not everyone has a beverage package.  If the minibar was included, a person could basically clean it out every day and share with someone who doesn’t have a package.   Even a minor.  Especially a minor.

The assumption is when all in the cabin DID have the beverage package.  In this case unless you are giving out drinks to strangers or friends it is easily self-regulated. This is no different than the chance of someone with a package getting a drink at a bar and handing it to someone without a package.  I'm sure it happens but in both situations the risk of it happening is the same. 

Edited by Sascol

They trust people to not share drink packages.  They can trust them to not use the minibar to supply the whole ship.  They could also put a limit on minibar refills.  Or they could leave the mini bottles out of the minibar altogether and make you get liquor from the bars.

• Like 1

They trust,  but to a point.  They limit the number of drinks you can get on your card at one time....you need two cards to get two drinks.  They set time limits so you have to wait a certain number of minutes beteeen drink orders.  They watch the customers to see if people are sharing drinks, or passing drinks to minors (yes, they have caught people doing this, and they have an awkward conversation with the Hotel Director and some have forefeited their remaining drinks packages).  

25 minutes ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Their ships, their rules.  Don't like it?  Cruise with a line that includes the mini bar if that is your #1 criteria.  MSC Yacht Club does.  Somebody above mentioned that Viking Ocean does.  I'm sure there are other likes that do.

Not sure if anyone (including me, the OP) is saying we like or dislike it.  Was just putting the question out there to see what the rationale that I've never understood might me. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Orator said:

I guess it's their ship, their rules. I always have a Premium package as a loyalty benefit and have the minibar emptied. I supply the minibar with sodas and water from other bars. I don't drink adult beverages, but if I did would get unopened beer at bars and store them in minibar for future use. 

It is actually like this  on all cruise lines for regular accommodations in massmarket.

Edited by Tatka

3 hours ago, kathynorth said:

I suspect that mini bottles of alcohol cost more, resulting in a higher cost per serving than drinks made at a bar/restaurant. Plus it would be super easy for passengers to stash away small bottles for take home purposes. 

That was my first thought.

3 hours ago, kathynorth said:

it would be super easy for passengers to stash away small bottles for take home purposes. 

This makes sense.  Never thought of that.  Rather obvious reason too :classic_blush:

Edited by Sascol

At present Celebrity allows one guest in a room to have a package and another not to. If the minibar was included then one guest is getting the minibar for free. 

Also as others have said miniature bottles are expensive. Even in the RS/PH you don’t get a variety of miniature bottles (compensated by 2x1litre bottles!)....

The fact they will empty the minibar for you and you can refill yourself makes sense for everyone.

They did a trial of making the mini bars inclusive for those on beverage packets once on the Eclipse and a cruise out of the UK. Unfortunately most those on packages emptied the mini bars into their luggage before leaving the ship. As far as I am aware that was the one and only time the tried it.

They should have closed the mini bars a day earlier rather than filling them up again!! 

When we were on the Reflection in May this year, the mini bar had our bottle of sparkling wine as we were in CC & a couple of beer that was it.  We don’t drink beer so didn’t matter but maybe it’s changing,  . Never saw any mini bottles, we had the premium package.