New menu items added to Sabatini's Italian Trattoria

canadarocks

1 hour ago, dforeigner said:

Not any more.  You only get to pick one item from each course.

Last Feb you were able to order as many appetizers as you wanted but it no longer appears that way. 

To me it's a big cutback and unless they've increased the portion size we won't be paying extra again for specialty restaurants. The DR food has been just fine for us in the past. 

Hopefully it won't be introduced on the Crown until after the fall sailings.:classic_wink:

1 hour ago, MissP22 said:

Last Feb you were able to order as many appetizers as you wanted but it no longer appears that way. 

To me it's a big cutback and unless they've increased the portion size we won't be paying extra again for specialty restaurants. The DR food has been just fine for us in the past. 

Hopefully it won't be introduced on the Crown until after the fall sailings.:classic_wink:

Is your complaint about the reduced portion size and limit to one appetizer for $29 per person?   Do you choose quantity over quality?

Or is it, in your opinion, the quality and variety of Italian cuisine in the MDR superior than what you find in Sabatini’s? 🤔

Enjoy your cruise.  And food.

Edited by Kingofcool1947

4 hours ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Is your complaint about the reduced portion size and limit to one appetizer for $29 per person?   Do you choose quantity over quality?

Or is it, in your opinion, the quality and variety of Italian cuisine in the MDR superior than what you find in Sabatini’s? 🤔

Enjoy your cruise.  And food.

I really have no complaints with the choices or quality but on our last visit to Sabatini's in Feb we could order all the appetizers  if we wanted. They were of decent size and now they appear to limit then to one of each category. 

I knew that an additional main course would be extra and I'm just trying to determine if ordering multiple appetizers come at an additional cost.

We ate at Sabatinis for a Pacific Coastal on Royal In May.  I was disappointed.  I had the lobster 3 ways and the 3rd way was supposed to be a bisque and was just a splash of sauce on the plate.  The Tiramisu was heavy and Dense not cloud like.

I stole this picture off the net.  The bisque was actually much smaller.  I could barely soak it up with some bread.

8653690124_3af005f789_b.jpg

Edited by zalusky

14 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I really have no complaints with the choices or quality but on our last visit to Sabatini's in Feb we could order all the appetizers  if we wanted. They were of decent size and now they appear to limit then to one of each category. 

I knew that an additional main course would be extra and I'm just trying to determine if ordering multiple appetizers come at an additional cost.

I noticed that you said you visited Sabatini's in February when you were able to order multiple appetizers.  I am assuming that you meant what you typed--i.e., you were not at a Sabatini's Italian Tratorria.

The Sabatini's menu does not appear to have  maximum number of orders for any course.  If you would like three Antipasti, it looks like that is fine.  Heck, it looks like if you want two Secondi Piatti, that is fine.  I'd never noticed this, before, but down at the bottom of the menu it appears that you can buy a bottle of Sicilian Olive Oil for an additional $10.  I wonder how many of them get sold.

The Sabatini's Italian Tratorria menu, on the other hand, is different.  Under each course it says "choose one."  To me that means you are limited to one choice per course.  The question is whether that limitation is enforced, and I'll bet that the answer depends on the policy of the room's headwaiter or the mood of the server or the diner's ability to be charming (and, "I was able to do it last time" is not charming, at all).  As has been posted here on Cruise Critic many times is that the only consistent thing about Princess is their inconsistency.

For completeness, yes, the Crown Grill menu states that additional entree orders are subject to an additional $10 charge.  Since it doesn't say anything about Appetizers or Soups/Salads, then I assume multiples of those can be ordered.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I noticed that you said you visited Sabatini's in February when you were able to order multiple appetizers.  I am assuming that you meant what you typed--i.e., you were not at a Sabatini's Italian Tratorria.

The Sabatini's menu does not appear to have  maximum number of orders for any course.  If you would like three Antipasti, it looks like that is fine.  Heck, it looks like if you want two Secondi Piatti, that is fine.  I'd never noticed this, before, but down at the bottom of the menu it appears that you can buy a bottle of Sicilian Olive Oil for an additional $10.  I wonder how many of them get sold.

The Sabatini's Italian Tratorria menu, on the other hand, is different.  Under each course it says "choose one."  To me that means you are limited to one choice per course.  The question is whether that limitation is enforced, and I'll bet that the answer depends on the policy of the room's headwaiter or the mood of the server or the diner's ability to be charming (and, "I was able to do it last time" is not charming, at all).  As has been posted here on Cruise Critic many times is that the only consistent thing about Princess is their inconsistency.

For completeness, yes, the Crown Grill menu states that additional entree orders are subject to an additional $10 charge.  Since it doesn't say anything about Appetizers or Soups/Salads, then I assume multiples of those can be ordered.

The new Tratorria menu might be just as good. We'll have to see how the reports go in the future.

We were very pleased with the standard Sabatini's menu on the Crown in Feb and even had one of the BOGO coupons for the first evening. We went twice not wanting to waste our other coupon.

Yes, they did allow us to order as many of the appetizers as we wanted which we did both visits. There was an additional charge for a second main course but after all the appetizers we had enough with just 1 main course each.

Hopefully they'll retain the old menu for this fall season as we have more coupons to use in the future. :classic_biggrin:

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

We ate at Sabatinis for a Pacific Coastal on Royal In May.  I was disappointed.  I had the lobster 3 ways and the 3rd way was supposed to be a bisque and was just a splash of sauce on the plate.  The Tiramisu was heavy and Dense not cloud like.

I stole this picture off the net.  The bisque was actually much smaller.  I could barely soak it up with some bread.

8653690124_3af005f789_b.jpg

Are you certain the lobster bisque is on the plate you posted?  Where?

1 hour ago, zalusky said:

bisque and was just a splash of sauce on the plate.

3 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I asked them where was the bisque and they said it was on the plate.  I expected at least a cup of soup.  Basically the picture above is what I got.   You tell me.  

This is the quote from the menu:

Tris d’Aragosta

lobster three ways - lobster tail, lobster orzotto and lobster bisque sauce

8 minutes ago, zalusky said:

I asked them where was the bisque and they said it was on the plate.  I expected at least a cup of soup.  Basically the picture above is what I got.   You tell me.  

This is the quote from the menu:

Tris d’Aragosta

lobster three ways - lobster tail, lobster orzotto and lobster bisque sauce

The  menu describes bisque as a sauce.  Not a soup.    Could you have asked for more bisque sauce?

I may have read it incorrectly,

Edited by Kingofcool1947

2 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

I may have read it incorrectly,  but the menu describes bisque as a sauce.  Not a soup.    Could you have asked for more bisque sauce?

No You are right.  It's just when I read Bisque I think soup.  That aside the splash of "sauce" seems kind of fake marketing.  Lobster thee ways where the 3rd way is almost impossible to taste.

9 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

8653690124_3af005f789_b.thumb.jpg.2f3286b0be05bb6f67399fc693b9b332.jpg.548d096fde4ccd603ffa8b7a0ce32480.jpg

Technically, the menu describes it as "lobster bisque sauce."  My guess is that a diner could always ask for more "sauce."

FWIW, this is Mrs. XBGuy's favorite entree at Sabatini's.  That is when she actually orders one,  As often as not, she will skip the pasta course and sip her wine while I have my pasta course.  Then she will order one of the pastas as her entree.  They serve an entree-size portion when she does that.

7 minutes ago, zalusky said:

No You are right.  It's just when I read Bisque I think soup.  That aside the splash of "sauce" seems kind of fake marketing.  Lobster thee ways where the 3rd way is almost impossible to taste.

Yes.  Lobster Bisque is usually soup.   That’s what I order almost daily when sailing on Oceania.  The real thing with plenty of lobster pieces in the soup.  Splash of cognac optional.  😀

Edited by Kingofcool1947

1 minute ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Yes.  Lobster Bisque is usually soup.   That’s what I get almost daily when sailing on Oceania.  The real thing with plenty of lobster pieces in the soup.  Splash of cognac optional.  😀

Yes Oceania and Seabourn are on my todo list  I have one more Princess run booked but after that I may give them a rest.

12 hours ago, pjwaz said:

My husband will miss the meal chop!

10 hours ago, pjwaz said:

Veal chop.

There doesn't seem to be anything comparable to the veal chop.

I think we'll be skipping the Sabatini's restaurant for a while until they offer something else interesting.

I think we'll be skipping the Sabatini's restaurant for a while until they offer something else interesting.

Dine at Crown Grill.   Order a 48 oz. Tomahawk Ribeye with all the sides you can eat.   

Or, you might get lucky, and veal chop will be available on the special secret menu.   One time the chef prepared Veal Palliard for me.   It was delicious.   Another time  Veal Osso Buco..   Ask the chef.  I always leave satisfied and full. 

Good luck, enjoy your cruise, and eating.😀

Edited by Kingofcool1947

Good that the ship has other options for specialty dining. One can never go hungry.  Especially if you and your husband are shameless Gourmands.  😉

Edited by Kingofcool1947

50 minutes ago, Kingofcool1947 said:

Dine at Crown Grill.   Order a 48 oz. Tomahawk Ribeye with all the sides you can eat.   

Or, you might get lucky, and veal chop will be available on the special secret menu.   One time the chef prepared Veal Palliard for me.   It was delicious.   Another time  Veal Osso Buco..   Ask the chef.  I always leave satisfied and full. 

Good luck, enjoy your cruise, and eating.😀

That sounds like what we might do.